HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:45 AM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
I would say that's a much better choice. I am not sure of the AUW of his Swift II FPV wing, but the 1500kv blue wonder would barely fly it. So a few more oz's of thrust should do the trick. Spinning a bit larger prop would help, but you don't want to get to large and induce torque roll.

Diggs
Would it be a somewhat safe to say that given sufficient thrust that this wing would fly, relatively regardless of the speed? I know I am heavier than a nice light build - but I also dont have a cat strapped onto it - I was hoping for something that was able to fly a bit slow, speed not really being the target at all. Slow with responsiveness - rather like your light build setup - only with a not so light setup...
Thanks!
-S
b94cast is offline Find More Posts by b94cast
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:19 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b94cast View Post
Would it be a somewhat safe to say that given sufficient thrust that this wing would fly, relatively regardless of the speed? I know I am heavier than a nice light build - but I also dont have a cat strapped onto it - I was hoping for something that was able to fly a bit slow, speed not really being the target at all. Slow with responsiveness - rather like your light build setup - only with a not so light setup...
Thanks!
-S
I think it will fly, but that is speculation only. I have no clue how heavy it is, or how well it is CG'ed. Without the cat, and from what I can see, I think weight is your main obstacle, but I also wonder if your cg is tail heavy? With enough thrust and speed it should fly, but I think due to the added weight, adding thrust would be more helpful than adding speed.

My 40" Ritewing Demon Lite weighs in probably at 4-5 lbs, so I think your swift II will fly, but it aint going to be at walking speed. Again speculation, not sure how heavy it is, and if I did know all I could do is recommend your setup produce an equal or greater amount of thrust. Get the CG set properly and give it a go. It should work.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:31 AM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
Well, at some point I built and flew a 30oz composite wing of the same shape as the Swift 2. I had 400W on it on a small prop (4.5x4.5 if I recall exactly). Was a bear to fly as it has tremendous inertia, so I had to plan everything in advance, but it flew. My knees were shaking while flying as I had 7oz of lead epoxied in the nose of the wing - at the speeds of that wing in a dive that would go through everything.

M.
Mihai is offline Find More Posts by Mihai
Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:46 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,698 Posts
Well I heard from Common Sense and they have no spare motor mounts. They did say they would contact the supplier and put my name on a email list.

Anyway I went ahead and mounted a piece of ply on the front of the mount left after the locktite cracked most of it. It seems to have worked and only took about 30 minutes.

And as a side note don't get ca and kicker on your hand. It is a rather hot experience.

Have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf View Post
I have been looking at the mount that is left and I think I can glue a piece of ply onto the front of the mount. I will try. Nothing to loose but time and I have lots of that just not a lot of energy.
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:02 PM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
328 Posts
Quote:
Well I heard from Common Sense and they have no spare motor mounts. They did say they would contact the supplier and put my name on a email list.

Anyway I went ahead and mounted a piece of ply on the front of the mount left after the locktite cracked most of it. It seems to have worked and only took about 30 minutes.

And as a side note don't get ca and kicker on your hand. It is a rather hot experience.

Have a look.
Looks great!

If all else fails, I have a stock mount (already assembled, took it off the wing that I am trying to turn into a FPV setup) that you can have - just pay whatever the shipping is.

Re: the ca/kicker - I learned that one the hard way. I had ca covering a fair portion of the backside of my hand, didnt notice (it was the hand holding the bits) and grabbed a bottle of kicker and proceeded to spray - there were a few blisters from that - 0o
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:00 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,698 Posts
Ok I give up. What does FPV stand for?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:05 PM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
328 Posts
Quote:
Ok I give up. What does FPV stand for?
First Person Video
Camera mounted on airplane, head mounted display ground side to see through the camera on the airplane realtime -
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:34 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
Has anybody tried a ritewing build on a swift. I have a couple of kits I would like to experiment on. Something that would do over 100mph. I have the gear
I would need to beef up the airframe and put some balsa elevons on it.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:54 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,698 Posts
Well finally my Swift II Red Dart is finished. Considering I bought all the parts last year to replace my Swift I. I am using a Lasertoyz 2712-1700 Blue Thunder and a 7035 prop. I tried a GWS8040 but that pushed 15 amp which is running my esc at max.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:58 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
I built some swift II night fliers. The AUW is 8.55oz with a 610 3s! Still amazingly below recommended weight! So A light loftey night flier is totally achievable.

I am selling them to fund my mortgage payment. You can find the for sale thread in the FS forum. I cant provide a link due to cross posting rules.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:19 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
... I have a couple of kits I would like to experiment on. Something that would do over 100mph...
My $.02, the Swift has a thick airfoil that is very asymmetrical. So it's sorta meant for either floating around, or medium speeds with "snappy" aerobatics. My Swift is setup for the latter, and it does no more than 70mph. It has an AUW of 12oz with a 300W Microdan setup; that kind of power would make a thin airfoil symmetrical wing go 100mph easy. It'll take a ridiculous amount of power to get a swift there; guessing 500W, maybe more.

No harm in trying though. As far as I know you'd be the first one with a 100mph Swift.

Y'know, I wouldn't mind if someone came up with a Swift sized speedster.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2008
146 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259439
unlvace is offline Find More Posts by unlvace
Old Jun 14, 2010, 02:49 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
Hey atom 1025.I have some HK strip leds that I would like to try like you did.
How did you install them. Just cut a slit? Are they as bright on the bottom as they are on top?
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:25 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
How did you install them. Just cut a slit? Are they as bright on the bottom as they are on top?
On the place you'll stick the strips, put some UHU POR or something similar, wait for 10 minutes and then stick the LED strips to the wing. The self-adhesive tape on the HK LED strips is 3M and sticks very good. On the bottom side, put a little bit of 5 mins. epoxy on each LED to prevent them from tearing off on a hard landing.

And just put them both on top and the bottom, it's even easier to make different patterns to recognize top side from bottom side.
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:04 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Using a dremel I routed a 3mmx10mm slot and slid them in. They are free floating. This way they are fully shielded from the elements....

IMHO it does not jeopardize the structure at all.

The top has a crisper look, you see each LED. The bottom is washed out and just glows.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025