HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
Flight report, trim issues

Recently took off the stock winglets and replaced them with corrugated plastic ones. Flew a larger prop yesterday and thought the prop was causing constant trim issues. Flew today with a smaller prop (original one before winglet change) and it flew better, but still needed constant trimming.

I cut the winglets very close to the stock size and shape. Wondering if the holes in the corrugated plastic are screwing things up. The holes run vertically in the winglets though so air is techically being forced through them.
Any thoughts?
flag8r77 is offline Find More Posts by flag8r77
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:09 PM
Registered User
Sleurhutje's Avatar
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
You'll probably need some up/down and side thrust setting on your motor. That will compensate the torque of the propellor. At lower speeds it's not much of a difference but at full throttle it's a big difference. You can add some shims between the motor mount and the motor to experiment.
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:31 PM
Bone Breaker
Lammergier's Avatar
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
For a nice battery fit I first fill the stock batt hole with a scrap piece of foam. I move the motor mount fore and aft to figure out where the battery should be and to the proper CG. I then cut the hole all the way through. I use thin sheet plastic to make a floor for the battery bay. Finish it off with a velcro strap. I allso fill in the servo hole and mount them from the top. Ditch the stock rods and use some 256 dubros.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 01:30 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Truglodite's Avatar
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flag8r77 View Post
Recently took off the stock winglets and replaced them with corrugated plastic ones. Flew a larger prop yesterday and thought the prop was causing constant trim issues. Flew today with a smaller prop (original one before winglet change) and it flew better, but still needed constant trimming.

I cut the winglets very close to the stock size and shape. Wondering if the holes in the corrugated plastic are screwing things up. The holes run vertically in the winglets though so air is techically being forced through them.
Any thoughts?
As long as the holes are oriented the same on both sides, there shouldn't be any affect on trim; even if they're way different I doubt there'll be a noticeable difference.

What trim are you busy with... roll, pitch, or both?

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 12:56 AM
Registered User
United States, AR, Fayetteville
Joined May 2005
32 Posts
Started my Swift build today with a nice gooey coating of 3M90 on both wings and squishing the cores together after serveral minutes the 3M90 started setting up and everything stuck well. The solvent, however does not really like the airbrushed paint, but not really enough to notice.

Second Swift will be in next week and am thinking about trying Welder on the cores tacked down with some CA with kicker or hot glue just to hold it together while the Welder dries.
Pantseatflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pantseatflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 11:26 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
Would anyone building a Swift 2 now be willing to mail me a paper trace of the stock winglet? Mine were already on when I tried to make a copy and didn't come out exact.
flag8r77 is offline Find More Posts by flag8r77
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 01:05 PM
Registered User
Sleurhutje's Avatar
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flag8r77 View Post
Would anyone building a Swift 2 now be willing to mail me a paper trace of the stock winglet? Mine were already on when I tried to make a copy and didn't come out exact.
That's easy. I traced the original Swift II's winglet and wing profile to clone them using styrofoam. So here's your copy. The papersize is A4 instead of letter but the raster is 6x10 inches for reference.
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 07:43 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
bobf's Avatar
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
join the Swift II halves

How do use ca to join the halves together? Do put ca on the inside of the surfaces before joining them then spray kicker on the joint? Will the kicker soak into the center? I used epoxy on my last Swift but it tends to seep out and then discolor.

Any input would be appreciated
.
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:41 PM
Winter is getting closer!
twister782's Avatar
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,663 Posts
just for the record. I used blue locktite on my MS composite swift 2. I used it on the screws that hold the motor on the motor mount. It shattered the mount like glass. It just crumbled to the touch. Just my 2 cents
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:44 PM
Winter is getting closer!
twister782's Avatar
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf View Post
How do use ca to join the halves together? Do put ca on the inside of the surfaces before joining them then spray kicker on the joint? Will the kicker soak into the center? I used epoxy on my last Swift but it tends to seep out and then discolor.

Any input would be appreciated
.
On mine i used hot glue. but you got to work fast. Many crashes and still holding. On my next build I will use Welders glue I can only find it at Lowes in my neck of the woods
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:50 PM
Winter is getting closer!
twister782's Avatar
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantseatflyer View Post
Started my Swift build today with a nice gooey coating of 3M90 on both wings and squishing the cores together after serveral minutes the 3M90 started setting up and everything stuck well. The solvent, however does not really like the airbrushed paint, but not really enough to notice.

Second Swift will be in next week and am thinking about trying Welder on the cores tacked down with some CA with kicker or hot glue just to hold it together while the Welder dries.
welders is a contact cement. Coat both sides and let it dry. when dry to the touch line up both sides and press together. DONE
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:12 PM
Benign Forecast
b94cast's Avatar
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b94cast View Post
I plowed up one of my swifts a couple of weeks ago, and have been tinkering with ideas on how to make my favorite wing a bit more versatile.
This is what I came up with!
I scratch built up the center section using balsa and ply, and then put velcro on the top, front, and bottom sections. This allows for placement of the battery and gear wherever. So I can play with different size batteries, cameras, radio gear, etc... and still have the CG just right by moving the gear around. I also filled in the spots on the wing where the gear/battery used to go with foam cut to size and glued in place.

I just got back from the maiden flight, and i am pretty happy with it! Flew straight with a few clicks of trim, and then it was good to go. I had hoped to get some FPV flights in, but forgot the camera power adapter - doh!

I hope the winds stay nice and calm for a bit - it has been so windy here the past week or so - would love a good calm/no wind week to get some more flying in!

-S
Well - flight results are...
I flew this - if you can call it that - with a 1350mah battery, the camera, 9v battery for the camera, video TX and antenna. It did fly... although I wouldn't call it good flight. This was with the 2730 1500kv HK motor, which *just* had enough power to get it airborne with an 8x4 prop. The subsequent in air experience was not exactly pleasing - it would go from feeling tail heavy - to nose heavy - to tail heavy - to stall - to... more yuck. boo.
It flies just fine as built with a lower weight battery and no gear - so I am assuming that I am just plain old over the weight limit of what I should be doing with this setup. I need to get an accurate scale so I can weigh the setup - but figured I would post what results I have at any rate.
-S
b94cast is online now Find More Posts by b94cast
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:16 PM
Benign Forecast
b94cast's Avatar
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister782 View Post
just for the record. I used blue locktite on my MS composite swift 2. I used it on the screws that hold the motor on the motor mount. It shattered the mount like glass. It just crumbled to the touch. Just my 2 cents
I had heard about that in regards to it doing the same thing with contact with servos - turns it into crumbly bad news.
b94cast is online now Find More Posts by b94cast
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 11:53 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Diggs's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Wow, didn't know that about locktite. Good info.

Also, I think you are at the limit of the 2730-1500. The way you have the motor mounted you can put a much larger prop on there. I bet she would move along nicely if you dropped this motor on there.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

It would yet again add more weight, but I bet it would almost double your thrust. No shortage of motor options. I bet there are some MicroDan solutions that would be better for this application also and keep the weight down a bit. However, it would be more costly.


Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2010, 12:48 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
bobf's Avatar
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
I have a red dart Swift II but the red is not near as bright as the picture. I am thinking of repainting it.While I painted my Swift I I don't remember what paint I used. Does it have to be foam safe? One thing about my Swift I it was easy to see.
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Last edited by bobf; Jun 07, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Good setup for a MSComposit Swift II ? myrslakt Foamies (Kits) 4 Oct 10, 2009 03:30 PM
Video Swift II Maiden Sim69 Electric Plane Talk 3 Jan 28, 2007 12:32 AM
Sold Swift II Airbrush line British Scheme TreeFlyer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jan 05, 2007 11:58 PM
Discussion Swift II from MS Composit? db1 Flying Wings 14 Dec 11, 2006 08:13 PM
Discussion My Swift II + Question highboy Flying Wings 2 Nov 29, 2006 12:05 PM