HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2010, 09:52 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
920 Posts
UHU is good for sticking anything to EPP, and it dries quickly if you let it tack first. Welders red tube is good if you can't find UHU.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2010, 12:16 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
3m90, and Welder for the smaller bits.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old May 18, 2010, 05:09 PM
Fer
Travelling far and wide
Nederland
Joined Jul 2009
106 Posts
Finely got round to building my swift!!!

Hi there,

so i finely got round to building my swift!!!
here are some pics...
the only things that the total wait came out at 372g
i hope it wil fly.....

enjoy!!!!

Fer

ps: i'll try to get the maiden in tomorro and see if the cam works....
if so, i'll post the vids as wel....
Fer is offline Find More Posts by Fer
Old May 18, 2010, 08:13 PM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
333 Posts
I like the lighting
I have the same cam mounted in the same place - makes for some interesting videos! Although my cam is kinda messed up at the moment - kinda got plowed into the ground full speed somehow
b94cast is offline Find More Posts by b94cast
Old May 20, 2010, 12:41 PM
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Mar 2010
81 Posts
Finally got my S2 put together (with some online recommendations from Diggs) and a brief maiden. I have the DX6i Elevon problem, tried the posted fix with no luck but maybe I did something wrong. Hopefully I get the radio situation figured out soon. It went together nice using a Lowprice RC 1400Kv motor, 10 Amp Zen ESC, 2 9 Gram cheap servos, and a 500Mah 3s Lipo. I don't have a scale but it's a pretty light setup. I put the airframe together with cool melt hot glue, I ordered the Dremel glue gun and it works awesome! It even has a little silicone boot on the glue tip so it's harder to melt your model when gluing.
I'll post up about it again when I get the control problem fixed.
Jbray is offline Find More Posts by Jbray
Old May 21, 2010, 03:22 AM
Foam, foam on the range....
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Are you talking about this elevon fix? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940867

If it's not working, then yes, you are doing something wrong

Post the symptoms, I'm sure we can figure it out!

Cheers
didge is offline Find More Posts by didge
Old May 21, 2010, 06:40 PM
Foam friendly
Pocket Valley - Norway
Joined Aug 2008
26 Posts
Finally completed a wing that has been floating around for a couple of years-
Used Diggs lght setup.
1500KV Blue Wonder mounted on tube mount that is extended by a wooden dowel.
12A Mystery esc.
HXT 900 servos
8x4 GWS prop
3S-610MAh Rhino batt
Spectrum radio gear.
Servos mounted on top, flat bottom.
Flies great was both able to fly slower and faster than I expected.
Thanks for all the great input from posters in this thread.

Stein
Stein Nilsen is offline Find More Posts by Stein Nilsen
Old May 21, 2010, 06:55 PM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
333 Posts
Looks great!

I did want to provide some feedback on the tube mount - at least for me. I ended up converting the one Swift2 with the tube mount back to the standard mount. I love the way this wing flies with the stock mount location, and it changed the characteristics enough that I found myself always flying the standard mount Swift2, until I switched away from the tube mount to the standard mount... Now I fly them both all the time.

I could never quite put my finger on the difference, what exactly I didnt like about the tube mount - so I cant help much there. It just fealt different, not as smooth.. or precise.. or something like that. Never anything drastic, more like something that nags all the time in the back of your mind.

At any rate - my 2copper tossed into the mount opinion mix.
-S
Old May 21, 2010, 08:50 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Stein, Glad that setup is working for you. I have built a few Swifts and tried several power setups and that one is my favorite. I have the lower 1200KV on my night flyer with the same 8040 prop, it doesn't have the getup and go of my 1500kv version, but it will fly a long time and is very chilled, which is what I want from a night flyer. I would like to see a close up of the tube mount you did if you can snap a pic of it. I have a Dragon Swift II I have yet to build and I am thinking about doing the extended tube for it like you and Adam did. Also, it might just be me, but it looks like the prop is on backwards in the pics.

B94, I am guessing the thrust angle was off on the tube mount. I find the stock mount works fine, but since the motor is above the thrust line, I can never seem to get it to fly true under power and gliding, but it's not really a big issue. Whatever you are comfortable with is the main thing.

I am going to the field tomorrow if the weather allows. I haven't flown the swifts in a while, think I am going to have to let them do their thing in the morning

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old May 21, 2010, 09:07 PM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post

B94, I am guessing the thrust angle was off on the tube mount. I find the stock mount works fine, but since the motor is above the thrust line, I can never seem to get it to fly true under power and gliding, but it's not really a big issue. Whatever you are comfortable with is the main thing.

I am going to the field tomorrow if the weather allows. I haven't flown the swifts in a while, think I am going to have to let them do their thing in the morning

Diggs
That very well could be - I aligned it with the bottom angle of the wing, but I really do not know enough to know if that was correct or not. Seemed like a good way to do it at any rate It seemed to make sense, as any other angle it would stick out from top/bottom. I recently plowed one of my swifts up pretty good (broke in half! ) so would definitely be willing to try it again if you have insights as I have to rebuild it anyway!

Hopefully you get your swift out and play - still my favorite of my flying machines.

-S
Old May 21, 2010, 09:29 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I did the same with my nightflyer. I cut out some of the foam near the control surfaces and didn't extend the motor mount, didn't even think of that option when I built mine. However, I did the same thing and aligned it with the bottom of the wing... If that is what you did, i would just stick with the stock mount. It flies well either way.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old May 21, 2010, 09:35 PM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
333 Posts
Only thing I can think of then is that perhaps I was not square? So maybe thrust was a bit to the left or right... or something?
I love tinkering, and building - so playing with something new (even if I did it wrong the first time!) is a fun thing for me. Perhaps I will do it again with the tube mount, extend it a bit - might make it easier to measure how square the tube is to the wing.
A 1/32nd of an inch 1/4 inch away from the wing results in much more 1 inch away from the wing - so maybe (thinking as I type - lol) even if I dont extend it, stick a dowel into the tube and measure squareness from that!
Thanks!
-S
Old May 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
Is anyone using an APC prop on their Swift 2? No GWS props around here locally, APC isn't fiting my Turnigy 1500 KV motor with a prop saver. Would love to get it in the air this weekend. Thanks fellas.
flag8r77 is offline Find More Posts by flag8r77
Old May 21, 2010, 10:17 PM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flag8r77 View Post
Is anyone using an APC prop on their Swift 2? No GWS props around here locally, APC isn't fiting my Turnigy 1500 KV motor with a prop saver. Would love to get it in the air this weekend. Thanks fellas.
Depending on which APC you have - you should be able to drill out/add a spacer - thats what I did with 2 of the APC's that I have tried out. Which one are you trying?
Old May 22, 2010, 05:49 AM
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
Using an 8x4E prop...all of the spacers that came with the prop are designed for the back of the prop. I need something for the front of the prop, so not sure how drilling would help since all of the prop spacers are too small already for the front of the prop.
flag8r77 is offline Find More Posts by flag8r77