HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2008, 08:05 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Got my cracks repaired with CA and got some video of my swift from yesterday evening. The last shot is exactly why I put my control rods and servo arms on top.

My digital camera isn't the best...got a new DV coming soon.

**EDIT: Heres some new video with a better DV camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss31SIOnWrE
Phiber Optik is offline Find More Posts by Phiber Optik
Last edited by Phiber Optik; Jul 29, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2008, 11:52 AM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiber Optik

Sorry, I don't know the KV.

Heres the full test specs with RPM on the motor(s) though:
http://www.customcdr.com/tests.html

Unfortunately, they've been out of stock on these motors for some time now. Got mine over a year ago...and horded it.
Yes, I saw the page with the tests, but they don't say what the KV is for the motor. If I understand correctly, the KV is for an unloaded motor (no prop), so the RPMs under power are not a good indications. However, if you look at the smallest prop it seems to be about 1400 to 1500 KV. I saw that they are out of stock, that's why I was asking - I'd like to get something equivalent - I like how yours rips the sky.

Best,
M.
Mihai is offline Find More Posts by Mihai
Old May 07, 2008, 11:59 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Here is what I am using works Great
E-Flite Sp400 920 KV 2 to 3 cells with anywhere from a 7x5 to a 9x6 prop. I ussually go for a 8x6 myself and 2 cells.

Regards
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old May 07, 2008, 01:52 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
898 Posts
Mild to wild fun:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2110
25A speed control
8x4 prop
1,000 3 cell
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old May 07, 2008, 01:58 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
I've ragged out my 2 APC 7x4's on the sidewalk and pavement and need to get more....

I have a buncha new APC 8x6 SF's....thinking of throwing one of them on tonight (theres room-I checked), but worried I might smoke the motor and/or lipos with too many amps draw...maybe stay with small bursts of full throttle?

Or wait on some 7x4's?

Suggestions?
Old May 07, 2008, 04:35 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
I messed up my lipos by over-propping my 3D plane - I'd stay away from the 8x6s unless you have a wattmeter to see what's going on. I have one with dean connectors if you want to try it, but I think waiting is not an option .
Go to the LHS (there is one on HW50 - HobbyMasters I think) and get some small props.

Thanks Jim, that looks like a killer motor (maybe too big? - maybe there is no such thing as too big ) for these wings. I'll give it a spin .

M.
Mihai is offline Find More Posts by Mihai
Old May 07, 2008, 05:27 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Interesting thread! I am building my Swift II right now and got plenty of good tips! I am also planning to change color schema and cover wings with self adhesive film strips. I have very bright red, black and white colors. I want to see it up high in the air. Do you think this will cause any problems, like extra weight, scratches or something?

I have two schemas so far. What do you think?
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old May 07, 2008, 05:48 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,677 Posts
Personally i prefer the "invasion stripes" type, but either way some black stripes over a white background does alot of difference.
After i did that to mine i noticed a great increase of perception speccially on low light.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old May 07, 2008, 07:11 PM
Slowly Approaching 1,000
Detroit (area), MI
Joined Mar 2004
923 Posts
Phiber, are you running that hot wind CCDR on your Swift? I really think you're looking for trouble with an 8x6 on that thing and it's a great motor to waste. Yours is a single stator right, not double?

If a 7x3.5 is 8A, and a 7x5 is 15A, you could probably expect along the line of 22A for an 8x6. That's stretching it for that tiny 25g motor.

On the other hand, John does make a great motor. Give it a try and let us know what your amps are! I'd surely use 2s though if you HAVE TO play with it. 3S is asking for smoke on that large of a prop, in my opinion. But I welcome you to take me to school! hehehehe (I have a custom made similar to the Hot Wind from him too, and I've been curious how much it'd take)

btw, do any soaring lately?
philosophicle_1 is offline Find More Posts by philosophicle_1
Last edited by philosophicle_1; May 07, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old May 08, 2008, 11:13 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas
I have a question about installing the power system and radio... if the wing is symmetrical and people are putting the electrics on top (painted side) to protect them... then why not just build the wing upside (so that the painted side is down and white side with pre-cut pockets are up) and still put the winglets on pointing up along with the unpainted side of the wing?

I am a newbie and this is just my third plane (E-flite Gypsy is my first and Mini-slinger is my second).. so the answer may be something elementary that I just don't understand yet...

Inquiring minds want to know,
Mark
This is a good question! I've been thinking those lines too. Then I looked at the wing and found that airfoil profile is not symmetrical. Based on what I've been reading about flying wings they may have different airfoils at the base of the wing and at the tip. And even have several degrees of washdown. I don't know if Swift II is that sophisticated though.
Old May 08, 2008, 12:23 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai
Go to the LHS (there is one on HW50 - HobbyMasters I think) and get some small props.
M.
I was thinking just that.
Old May 08, 2008, 12:27 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_
Interesting thread! I am building my Swift II right now and got plenty of good tips! I am also planning to change color schema and cover wings with self adhesive film strips. I have very bright red, black and white colors. I want to see it up high in the air. Do you think this will cause any problems, like extra weight, scratches or something?

I have two schemas so far. What do you think?
The self adhesive film strips will be more weighty than colored tape.

Also, looking at your design, it doesn't appear that they will add any stiffness to the middle of the wing laterally.

I don't know what your motor/prop/batt setup is, however if you plan on going light and sparless, the weight penalty shouldn't be too bad.
Old May 08, 2008, 12:33 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicle_1
Phiber, are you running that hot wind CCDR on your Swift? I really think you're looking for trouble with an 8x6 on that thing and it's a great motor to waste. Yours is a single stator right, not double?

If a 7x3.5 is 8A, and a 7x5 is 15A, you could probably expect along the line of 22A for an 8x6. That's stretching it for that tiny 25g motor.

On the other hand, John does make a great motor. Give it a try and let us know what your amps are! I'd surely use 2s though if you HAVE TO play with it. 3S is asking for smoke on that large of a prop, in my opinion. But I welcome you to take me to school! hehehehe (I have a custom made similar to the Hot Wind from him too, and I've been curious how much it'd take)

btw, do any soaring lately?
Thanks for the advice.

I think you're right and I'd be asking for trouble. (but darn, my new 8x6's look tempting!)

Mine is a single stator. On a apc 7x4SF it barely gets warm.

Will be off to my LHS for some 7x4 or 7x5E props.
Old May 09, 2008, 12:02 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiber Optik
The self adhesive film strips will be more weighty than colored tape.

Also, looking at your design, it doesn't appear that they will add any stiffness to the middle of the wing laterally.

I don't know what your motor/prop/batt setup is, however if you plan on going light and sparless, the weight penalty shouldn't be too bad.
I've been thinking using self adhesive film only to cover and do not expect much reinforcement from it. Yesterday night I reinforced wing according to the attached diagram. I used two inch fiberglass striped 3M tape for reinforcement. I believe tape has better reinforcement properties than carbon fiber rods or strips. Tape can add weight very quickly though.

Blue lines are pretty much what Swift II instructions say about wing reinforcement. Red line is my addition. This additional strip adds tremendous stiffness to the tips of the wing. It should prevent wing from flattering. Also because of large aileron area at the very end of the wing when you pull hard during high speed because of the pulling force wing will flex in opposite direction. This will probably feel like slow response or no response at all. (Actually there was a British airplane during WWII that had similar problem with ailerons. On high speed maneuvers when pilot bank left airplane will bank in opposite direction because of a wing flex)

Here is my outfit (a great deal from Grayson Hobby I got during SEFF!)

Motor GH2208-08 Micro Parkjet speed 400 outrunner
2600KV
Max current 20A/60 sec
Weight 34g
20Amp ESC

Prop APC 5.5x4.5. Ideally APC 5x5
Static thrust should be within 250-350g (~9oz)

Battery 3S1P 20C LiPo 1000mAh

Basil Congro from Grayson Hobby said this is the best setup for this wing. He also was extremely helpful and patient with my stupid questions

I am planning to finish setting everything up and maiden new wing this weekend.
Old May 09, 2008, 02:48 PM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
Reinforcement is never bad until you start making it too heavy. I have flown the HECK out of mine with only the recommended reinforcement and it is FAR from unresponsive at high speeds. In fact, I put it into a full throttle vertical dive and pull up 90* to level then 90* back to vertical then another 90 back to horizontal to a very nice, fast square loop. This plane is a blast, especially if you build it light.

My friend has a video of his here somewhere, let me go look for the link ...

Here it is:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=SWIFT
Near the end he does a high speed dive and a 180 to vertical inches above the ground.

db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Last edited by db1; May 09, 2008 at 03:04 PM.