HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:15 PM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit
i am going to replace my elevons with balsa, but just wondering if i need to keep the same shape as the origional ones, or can i change the shape
carl

No reason you cant change the shape. Just keep it aerodynamic and as long as it looks like it makes sence and arent tiny (or HUGE).

-Justin
patterkid is offline Find More Posts by patterkid
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:22 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
thanks justin, will have a look around at various shapes
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:57 PM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Dont think to hard. Just draw one out that looks neat and good and it'll work no doubt.

We arent worried about mach tuck or wingtip vortices here. Just a elevon. It could prob be alittle smaller than the original because of the strength of balsa. The EPP elevons flex alot. But you will lose overall surface area on the wing there for losing lift
-Justin
Old Aug 28, 2009, 03:08 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
looked around and noticed quite a lot of wings have the elevons tucked inside the wing tips, ie longer wing tips, the swift elevons stick out past the wing tips, would changing the tips for longer ones that enclose my new balsa ones make any difference, if not then will just cut out some and stick them on,
carl
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:14 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF
Mtdoramike

I've never owned a futaba - but they're all about the same. You will need to set up your model in the radio for ELEVON. Check out page 45 of your radio's manual. The servos will hook up to Ch1 and Ch2.

Be sure to doublecheck servo movement though. I had a heck of a time w/mine. Either they were backwards (tell me to reverse both right?) or they acted like I was holding the radio 90deg the wrong way (that's what happened when I reversed both servos). Turned out I had to swap the two channels around and reverse one servo and that got everything moving the right way.

There are several posts a few pages back in this thread where I and a few others were having that problem and it's explained in a lot more detail.

Enjoy your Swift!! I know I sure have!

Thanks for the help AC, I'll read through the thread and see if I can find the section your referring to.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:33 PM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
looked around and noticed quite a lot of wings have the elevons tucked inside the wing tips, ie longer wing tips, the swift elevons stick out past the wing tips, would changing the tips for longer ones that enclose my new balsa ones make any difference, if not then will just cut out some and stick them on,
carl
It is not a bad idea at all!

It will do several things on the POSITIVE side:

Increase stability about the yaw axis therefor allowing it to track better
and
Will protect the elevons in a crash if you make them more wingtip fence type of winglets just like the ritewings do.

Id recommend using coroplast for them as they are strong and light.
-Justin
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:17 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Coroplast tips are my favorite. After I sort out my elevon flex, I'll have to cut up some 2mm coro for my swift and see how it works.

Carl, going with smaller ailerons will help control authority if your swift is in 30oz territory, but as you get below 15oz, you need large elevons to have good control while flying slow.

CK, I haven't forgot about ordering myself a Demon, but other obligations have kept me. I will put an IYF on my list; it sounds like a nice match for the MD motor. Then I can rewind a 130W bluenred wonder for my swift, which would put me at around 55mph and I won't have to reinforce my elevons. I'll bet that setup will be fun, and I'm sure the RW's will also be a blast.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:12 AM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
thanks guys for the help, i was using the blue wonder 1700Kv on a 8x3 prop with a rhino 610 mAh lipo,flew nice and slow, but have put a HiModel A2212/6 2200KV 170W Brushless with a 6x5.5 APC prop and a mystery 1500 mAh lipo, i am just trying this combo for a bit more oomph and AUW is slightly over 15oz, is coroplast that corrigated plastic that they make signs out of, if so i dont have any, but was thinking of using some 6mm depron and cover with strapping tape for strength, and am gona have a look at the righwing threads for some some ideas, is it a good idea to overhang the wingtips like the rightwing ones
carl
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:41 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Thnx Kev ,I was posting a few options for you guys since it looked as if the swifts wont be avail soon.
The iyf 44 will cover you guys for this type of wing wether it is built lite or medium weight
I have a few 44'' iyfs built a few differnt ways and they are the most fun ever.
ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
Coroplast tips are my favorite. After I sort out my elevon flex, I'll have to cut up some 2mm coro for my swift and see how it works.

Carl, going with smaller ailerons will help control authority if your swift is in 30oz territory, but as you get below 15oz, you need large elevons to have good control while flying slow.

CK, I haven't forgot about ordering myself a Demon, but other obligations have kept me. I will put an IYF on my list; it sounds like a nice match for the MD motor. Then I can rewind a 130W bluenred wonder for my swift, which would put me at around 55mph and I won't have to reinforce my elevons. I'll bet that setup will be fun, and I'm sure the RW's will also be a blast.

Kev
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:12 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Thnx Kev ,I was posting a few options for you guys since it looked as if the swifts wont be avail soon.
The iyf 44 will cover you guys for this type of wing wether it is built lite or medium weight
I have a few 44'' iyfs built a few differnt ways and they are the most fun ever.
ck
is the swift not being produced anymore ?? that would be a real shame, as i love the simple super wing, and going to have a look over the iyf thread to see how complicated the build would be, i think i have been spoiled by the swift's ease of build, maybe its time i got a grown up wing only joking
carl
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:20 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Hi Carl ,here is some build info, you can build it like the swift and it rocks.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046727
ck
Quote:
is the swift not being produced anymore ?? that would be a real shame, as i love the simple super wing, and going to have a look over the iyf thread to see how complicated the build would be, i think i have been spoiled by the swift's ease of build, maybe its time i got a grown up wing only joking
carl
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hey it looks good, but as i am from the UK it may be a bit pricey due to shipping ect but will check it out
carl
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:10 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Order 2 and I will ship for free,get together with a buddy.
That what guys do alot on intl orders.

ck
Quote:
hey it looks good, but as i am from the UK it may be a bit pricey due to shipping ect but will check it out
carl
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:20 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
thats an amazing deal, what sort of price would they cost me, i can check with a mate for going halfs,
carl
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:25 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Hi Carl see http://ritewingrc.com/ for the IYF prices.

If you buy off the site I will see your addy in the uk and just ship it.
Then you can also just put in the paypal notes to so I get the message.

ck

Quote:
thats an amazing deal, what sort of price would they cost me, i can check with a mate for going halfs,
carl