HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:50 AM
Ripping The Bring since 2009
Joined Sep 2008
109 Posts
Thank you One of the dog's is ours (you can hear Kristy calling her at one point) the other two we met there. One of those two was really keen on chasing the Swift. Kristy video'd about the first half of the flight, which I edited down to about 2:30. But just before my final catch I came in low and one of the dogs leapt in the air to try and beat me to the catch! He didn't come close but it was hilarious to watch.

I haven't tried the cricket pitch yet, unfortunately it's end on to the shortest boundaries with tall trees all around. The boundaries there are so short, a decent pace bowler would have first slip on the boundary! My EVA Bipe definately can't land on it (too fast). Maybe when I finish the flap mod to my Cessna 182 it will fly slow enough to use the pitch. It is beautiful and smooth though, I think it's made of recycled tyres so it's got a bit of spring to it.

Cheers,
Aidan.
aidan82 is offline Find More Posts by aidan82
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:53 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,980 Posts
Had a ball last night with my Swift.. High altitude dives w/high speed passes - always fun.

I like to climb to a few hundred feet and cut the motor to see how long I can glide it until I have to power back up. Well, last night I was up pretty good gliding when all of a sudden I lost all control! The Swift was in a gentle right turn; but no control input would do anything. I shut down the TX and powered back up w/no effect. Started to run and follow it so I could see where it came down. Luckly the winds blew it away from the hills and into the valley meadow. As I got up to it, wiggling the sticks, still had nothing. I picked it up off the ground and all of a sudden I had control again. On/Off/On/Off it would go. Then I noticed the battery connection wasn't fully seated. Arrrgghhh

HINT: Make sure battery plug is FULLY seated before takeoff!
I got lucky this time!!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Aug 02, 2009, 10:14 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF
Took my Swift out to fly some indoor laps. The guys thought I was nuts.
I gotta say this; it was a BLAST and a RUSH! Caught a few obsticles with the wings a couple times, and had a few close calls with the lights/heat ducts. After that flying I can vouch 100% on the durability of this plane! LoL

Which brings up a question.. One 'hard' crash-land I walked up to find my blue wonder in two pieces?!?! The bell/shaft got pulled out through the assembly. I put the thing back together and it operates great. But, there is no retaining clip to hold the motor on anymore... It's a pusher only motor now! Anyone ever had this happen with their motor?
I had the exact same thing happen to my blue wonder. I flew it as a pusher until I could find a replacement e clip. I was able to get some at the LHS a bunch for about $2.50. I asked the worker about them and I told him it was for a 3mm shaft with a slot cut into it. He found some in the rc car section of the store.
AltonMan is offline Find More Posts by AltonMan
Old Aug 02, 2009, 10:34 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,980 Posts
Thx for the tip AltonMan
May have to take in my blue wonder to see if they can help me out as well.
Old Aug 03, 2009, 11:46 AM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Im currently about to begin my new Ritewing TL50 build. I am going to be glassing it with Riteweave (lighter then henry's) and 3m90.

My question is...has anybody glassed there swift ii? would it just be a monster of a brick then? i have been noticing alot of flex in my Swift and i am wondering the best way to get rid of it considering i have quite a bit of strapping tape on it....im thinking either stipping it down and glassing it or parts of it OR adding CF Spar's

Dont bash me as i think it would be way to heavy but wondering if anyone has done it? haha
-Justin
patterkid is offline Find More Posts by patterkid
Old Aug 03, 2009, 12:05 PM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Also thinking about picking up some of the GWS 3 bladed props. Prob the 5 6 and 7 inches ones. If i catch the wing which i almost always do on landing i wonder what these props will offer to the motor/wing/battery.

Anyone given it a try?

Hey i just want to experiment :-)!

-Justin
Old Aug 03, 2009, 12:41 PM
spring,tx
Joined Aug 2006
444 Posts
randys hobbies in houston is stocking ms composite, i picked up a swift there sunday.
ashewb is offline Find More Posts by ashewb
Old Aug 03, 2009, 01:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,980 Posts
Justin
Never glassed one - but I have two 4mm x .5mm CF spars in my Swift. One about 4" back from the nose, and the other 3" from the TE root. Both run out to 1" from the wingtips. Strapping tape over the LE, heavy around the nose, and covering about 1/2 the bottom. I have never noticed any 'flexing' on mine.

I do believe that glassing would add a bit of weight, but if you did it right, it shouldn't add all that much. The downside I would see would be that it would not be nearly as forgiving during a botched landing (as I have several under my rather large belt).

The 3blade prop idea is interesting. I actually have a 9x7 one here that I have considered using ... But my landings and chances of breaking up another motor have kept me from using it. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot tho! you'll have to post how it goes if you do!
Old Aug 03, 2009, 05:21 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patterkid
Im currently about to begin my new Ritewing TL50 build. I am going to be glassing it with Riteweave (lighter then henry's) and 3m90.

My question is...has anybody glassed there swift ii? would it just be a monster of a brick then? i have been noticing alot of flex in my Swift and i am wondering the best way to get rid of it considering i have quite a bit of strapping tape on it....im thinking either stipping it down and glassing it or parts of it OR adding CF Spar's

Dont bash me as i think it would be way to heavy but wondering if anyone has done it? haha
-Justin

I saw a Superfly done the Riteway, but haven't seen anyone try it with the swift II. Would be interesting, but I agree with you it would be way heavy for what it is. Although, I bet it could be pretty fast.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 05, 2009, 09:16 AM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Been doing more and more thinking about this prospect of Ritewaying the Swift II. One of the things i dont like at all about the Swift is the Elevons...they bend and twist and therefor are terribly INEFFECTIVE....Considering ritewaying those first to see how much increased control authority i gain. I currently have alittle ballast in the rear anyways to balance CG so ill remove that and see how it balances once this Glassed.

Another thought/question is. Has anyone just cut the elevons off and replaced them with balsa and hot glue hinged em? Ive been considering that too.

ugh decisions decisions. One thing for sure is that its likely to gain weight if i glass it all but then again i have alot of Strapping tape already on there that would be removed. haha

-Justin
Old Aug 05, 2009, 04:20 PM
Joined Nov 2007
5 Posts
Who has the swift 2 online for the best price???
Kpete is offline Find More Posts by Kpete
Old Aug 05, 2009, 04:55 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpete
Who has the swift 2 online for the best price???
If you are in the USA, finding a Swift 2 is a challenge due to the MScomposit USA ordeal.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1070715

I think you can get them from these places.

Lazertoyz
Airlandseahobby
NEsail

You might find them at a few other spots, but right now price shopping really isn't going to help much, just finding one available in the scheme you want is a real challenge.

GL,

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 05, 2009, 05:04 PM
Joined Mar 2009
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patterkid
Been doing more and more thinking about this prospect of Ritewaying the Swift II. One of the things i dont like at all about the Swift is the Elevons...they bend and twist and therefor are terribly INEFFECTIVE....Considering ritewaying those first to see how much increased control authority i gain. I currently have alittle ballast in the rear anyways to balance CG so ill remove that and see how it balances once this Glassed.

Another thought/question is. Has anyone just cut the elevons off and replaced them with balsa and hot glue hinged em? Ive been considering that too.

ugh decisions decisions. One thing for sure is that its likely to gain weight if i glass it all but then again i have alot of Strapping tape already on there that would be removed. haha

-Justin

I'm thinking of replacing my elevons with depron foam. Shouldn't gain much weight if any.
I've already replaced the wingtip stabilizers with 6mm depron.
That made a big difference in the way it tracked. The originals were just too floppy.
Phoenix426 is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix426
Old Aug 07, 2009, 12:07 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
i know this is slighty off topic, but just ordered a mini swift, and wondering if you guys can give me some advice on a good set up, i will use either my 1500 Kv or 1700 Kv blue wonder motor, or maybe you can advise me on motor and lipo set up, i already fly the swift 2 and loving it, but just fancy trying the mini
carl
doggit is online now Find More Posts by doggit
Old Aug 09, 2009, 08:04 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit
i know this is slighty off topic, but just ordered a mini swift, and wondering if you guys can give me some advice on a good set up, i will use either my 1500 Kv or 1700 Kv blue wonder motor, or maybe you can advise me on motor and lipo set up, i already fly the swift 2 and loving it, but just fancy trying the mini
carl
Doggit

You might consider this motor or something similar, http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

It flies well with a 5x5 prop in both 2 and 3 cell.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets