HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:48 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,248 Posts
servo gears stripped..?

..not..!the first thing I did with my Swift II was transfer all the electronics to the top of the wing.You see it's just a matter of time before you hit a rock/stick/whatever & break a servo,dent the battery or break the ESC.This is a great wing...but whoever made the decision to put servos & other electronics on the bottom is koo-koo for cocoa-puffs.I also cut 3 in. from the draggy center,it rolls faster,here's a pic..
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:01 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
hi SKYPILEIT, i like the way you have done your swift, and how does it fly in general with 3 inch missing, and i like the layout of your top swift, i am about to put the electrics in my new swift, but your picture has given me the idea to top my stuff too, does it affect the wing any having it all on top, or havent you noticed much difference,
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:34 PM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Hey guys,

My strapping tape doesnt seem to be sticking well, when i come down from a flight i often have a couple pieces that are peeled up and flapping. It is staples brand I there a certain brand that is the stickiest? is there a better solution all together without killing it weight wise?

Thanks guys,

P.S. I like my wiffle ball elevon horn covers :-) work great for landings and they look like gunner turrets flying around....and about the drag issue...we are flying SWIFT II's!!! They arent fast anyways hahaha im building a different wing here shortly for speed that will satisfy my need for speed, swift's are park fliers

Justin
patterkid is offline Find More Posts by patterkid
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
243 Posts
hi again guys got my wing flying real well noe and balanced good, and all trimmed up but im still getting 100% throttle at dout 60% stick using the tower pro 2408 18t and 18 amp esc combo on dx61

has any onelse had this problem
harryxtc is offline Find More Posts by harryxtc
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:51 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit
hi SKYPILEIT, i like the way you have done your swift, and how does it fly in general with 3 inch missing, and i like the layout of your top swift, i am about to put the electrics in my new swift, but your picture has given me the idea to top my stuff too, does it affect the wing any having it all on top, or havent you noticed much difference,
carl
Thanks..it flies great,I've flown stock Swift IIs,I like the way mine flies better,the center is the draggiest part of the wing,by removing 3 inches it does fly with a bit more speed..& it definately rolls faster.I used Gorilla Glue with 3 spars with spanwise fg tape for strength.Lightly spray the tape with spray adhesive before applying to the wing..tape slightly stretched & overlapped so it won't come loose later.I recommend moving the electronics to the top,a bit more work now will save headaches & broken components later.As you can see the batt mounting area is more forward also,I use a 2100mah pack for long flights & it still floats on landing.

Good Luck..
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:37 AM
Ripping The Bring since 2009
Joined Sep 2008
109 Posts
Trim switch / speed switch

Hello all,
I must confess I haven't been following this thread, but I have some information to share about my swift II that you may find useful.

I've been having a blast with mine, it's possible to fly from some of the most unlikely places with a model this indestructable. Generally mine is set up with enough reflex for very slow, relaxing flight. This is fine, until I really want to tear it up. Full throttle yields an instant climb.... until now.

I've set up a mix in my transmitter that gives two different 'centre' or neutral points for the elevons. Effectively it's like changing gears.

I've done a tutorial on programming this at http://holmesy.net

The Swift II is so well designed it's always had two personalities, now I can switch them at will!

Happy flying
aidan82 is offline Find More Posts by aidan82
Last edited by aidan82; Nov 09, 2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:42 AM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan82
Hello all,
I must confess I haven't been following this thread, but I have some information to share about my swift II that you may find useful.

I've been having a blast with mine, it's possible to fly from some of the most unlikely places with a model this indestructable. Generally mine is set up with enough reflex for very slow, relaxing flight. This is fine, until I really want to tear it up. Full throttle yields an instant climb.... until now.

I've set up a mix in my transmitter that gives two different 'centre' or neutral points for the elevons. Effectively it's like changing gears.

I've done tutorial on programming this at http://holmesy.net

The Swift II is so well designed it's always had two personalities, now I can switch them at will!

Happy flying

Ive been attempting something of that nature with my DX7 as well. It has a three position flap switch so ive set it sort of like my heli, normal idle up 1 and idle up 2. however you want to phrase it, different phases of flight. At flaps normal (0) its deflected for take off elevator and then flaps (1) is for slower flight and just cruising around and then flaps (2) is for higher speed flight with less deflection. I havent got it perfect yet but i thought it was a good idea and i am seeing im far from alone on this hahaha :-)

-Justin
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:36 AM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
One more question...So ive decided i prob went alittle overkill with the strapping tape right off the bat and tonight im gonna go lighten the wing alittle and remove a bunch. My big concern is the FLIMSY Elevons, i have tape on both top and bottom of those to try and give them support and stiffen em up but i dont think the weight/drag/increased load on servo's is really making it worth it to have the tape there. So whats the best way to Reinforce the connection between elevon and wing? that flimsy see through joint just doesnt seem to cut it and is already splitting on one side. Any solutions people have done? also is there a "perfect" spot to have the servo horn on the elevon for best control/throw/wear protection? Sorry for ALL the questions but im just trying to get this dialed in.

-Justin
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:07 AM
Joined Sep 2008
109 Posts
Hi Patterkid,
Glad to see someone esle is doing the same thing, great minds think alike hey!

As for your elevons... I'm afraid I haven't had the same problems yet. I was very suspicious of that thin foam hinge when I first built it. At the time I thought I'll give it a try for the first flight and see how it goes. It's still working just fine with no tears. I am a little concerned about the elevons twisting during flight which would reduce their effectiveness. I've considered glueing thin carbon fiber along the trailing edges to help stop this, but haven't done it yet.

As for strengthening the hinge, I would replace it instead. This should give a joint with much less resistance than taping over the existing hinge. I would cut away all the thin foam and leave the existing bevel on the trailing edge and the elevon. Then use clear packing tape to do the hinge. I'm guessing you'll need some spray adhesive to get the foam tacky before laying down the tape though. Tape just doesn't seem to stick to EPP otherwise.

Whatever you do though, making her lighter can only be a good thing. I think the minimalist approach to this model is what makes it so great (and fly so slow).

Cheers,
Aidan.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:31 AM
Brisbane Australia, near whites hill park
Joined Sep 2008
165 Posts
patterkid , the best way to reinforce the elvon connections is to use hot glue.

apply a line of hot glue along the top of the elvon joint and then quickly while it is still hot smear it out to a thin wide line of hot glue. once it has cooled then you can flex it quite easily and it makes a strong hinge.

just practice first or do short lengths at a time until you get used to it.

this method can also be used to join a completly new hinge to a planes wing.

regards richie
ElectricRichie is offline Find More Posts by ElectricRichie
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:43 AM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
I like the hot glue idea....just do i have the guts to do it haha. I saw a tutorial once i just have to find it again!

-Justin
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:47 AM
TC, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Here is two good videos...they just make you want to do it because of the OBVIOUS strength it adds at no loss of flexibility really.

Hot Melt Hinges for EPP Airplanes (6 min 53 sec)

and

Step 2 - Glue on the Elevons (0 min 27 sec)
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:47 AM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Use a popsicle stick! I had to do this with my swift II. I used welders glue. Works in the same principles as hot glue for hinges. Lay a bead of glue over the hinge, with the surface butted up against the control surface. quickly wipe of the bead with the flat part of the stick. That easy.
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Aug 01, 2009, 07:42 AM
Joined Sep 2008
109 Posts
New video taken today.

Hi all,
Here's a video of me playing with my Swift II today. I enjoy a mix of fast & slow but the camera struggles to focus on the fast stuff. I've edited it to show mostly low & slow with one fast run.

MS Composit Swift II (2 min 59 sec)

or embedded at http://holmesy.net

enjoy

Aidan.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:24 AM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Very nice flying. RELEASE THE HOUNDS.

Looks like ya got a nice strip in the middle of that great field for geared planes??
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland