HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2006, 08:16 PM
Joined Jun 2005
103 Posts
Discussion
Spirit R\E or Spirit Elete ARF

I've been specking out my XP-4 dlg a lot lately and now seriously considering a full house ship for hi-start. Planning for a moulded plane but can't spend the money now. Can't stand the down time either. I had success with a spirit but it seemed slow and very limited in range during search. For now I need something to play with.

Now which one has the best chances of staying airborne and specking (less walking), the Spirit R/E or the Elite ARF? The Elite seems a lot heavier, but has less drag, which is the big advantage, I guess. I have good aileron and flap skills (i.e. with sailplanes, cause I fly power planes too). I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who has flown both.

Thanks.
northwest is offline Find More Posts by northwest
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2006, 10:33 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,967 Posts
The Spirit Elite is heavy for a 2-meter by today's standards. Even when put on a diet, it will be very hard to get this model under 40-oz. Most competition 2-meters are like 34 or under, with good ones being less than 30. So, if you are expecting the performance you now get from your HLG with the Spirit series, forget it. The XP-4 is hard to beat in any class. Not that they are poor flyers as they do good. But I would look at some other models that really perform well, weigh less and even though they may cost more, will be a more satisfying experience for you. What comes to mind is the Organic and Nova II. Both are very potent models.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jul 09, 2006, 11:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
103 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I've seen these names somewhere around but would really like a link to view them again.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:43 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
504 Posts
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/ sells the organic. Really nice plane.
Komet is offline Find More Posts by Komet
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:53 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
The Spirit Elite is heavy for a 2-meter by today's standards. Even when put on a diet, it will be very hard to get this model under 40-oz. Most competition 2-meters are like 34 or under, with good ones being less than 30. So, if you are expecting the performance you now get from your HLG with the Spirit series, forget it. The XP-4 is hard to beat in any class. Not that they are poor flyers as they do good. But I would look at some other models that really perform well, weigh less and even though they may cost more, will be a more satisfying experience for you. What comes to mind is the Organic and Nova II. Both are very potent models.

Mike Lee
Mike hits this right on the money. The Spirit series are great for sport flyers and people on a tight budget. On a price performance basis they are a good value. But if you are flying an XP-4 I presume you are more willing to invest to get very good performance.

If you want to stay in the 2-2.5M range, the Organic is certainly one to consider. Kennedy Composits has a reputation for carrying excellent planes.

If you are willing to go to 3M, take a look at the Thermal Dancer. I am stepping up to competition class in sailplanes. I just ordered a Thermal Dancer from Polecat, a name that should be familiar to an XP-4 flyer. Phil Barnes builds the wing based on the same Drela airfoil as the Supra. Under $700 shipped.
http://www.polecataero.com/products/thermal-dancer/

You don't give a budget, but if you are looking at an "moderately priced" competition class plane, then this one might work for you. 3.1M and about 60 ounces all up. If you have the bucks, you can certainly go over $1000 for a competition plane and there is plenty to consider.

The Thermal Dancer will replace my Airtronics Legend which is 2.9M and 80 ounces. I started on a Spirit 2M RES and love it still, but I don't think this is where you want to be.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 10, 2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:56 AM
Joined Jun 2005
103 Posts
Performance is very important, as you all guessed. But with other commitments the budget is tight for the next 4 mths. I'm prepared to spend up to $300 now. By early next year I have my eye on the T dancer from polecat and the nesail Epsilon 2m for crossover between slope and sport td. Eventually I'd like an E-AVA-F too. None of these are V-tail, I don't like V-tail, otherwise the organic would be a serious option. I've lookes at nesail and esprit but no luck. It has to be an ARF too.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
OK, you want a 2M full house TD plane in the under $300 price range. Something more competitive than the Spirit Elite. Must be an ARF.

Is that the target?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 05:27 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
If you are looking for an ARF for around $100 bucks then I'd go with the new Fling. Mine flys a lot better than my old Spirit (has more leggs).
I still have to plug one of the better values out there: Chrysalis 2M.
JS
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:43 PM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
My kit built Spirit Elite weighs in at 33 oz RTF. It definitely flys better than the 42 oz. ARF version I also have.

You might look at some of the ArtHobby planes in the 2m - 2.5m sizes.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Jul 11, 2006, 02:12 AM
Joined Jun 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
OK, you want a 2M full house TD plane in the under $300 price range. Something more competitive than the Spirit Elite. Must be an ARF.

Is that the target?
That's the target for now.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:19 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
I'm With EJet

http://www.arthobby.com
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:31 AM
Joined Jun 2005
103 Posts
WEll, I revisited the polecat website and took a serious look at the thermal dancer. The bank just increased my credit and I think I'm about to bust my budget. The t. dancer is kinda pricey, but if it's as tough as my XP-4 and still lighter than most, I might just go for it. Thanks to all for the help.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 06:49 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest
WEll, I revisited the polecat website and took a serious look at the thermal dancer. The bank just increased my credit and I think I'm about to bust my budget. The t. dancer is kinda pricey, but if it's as tough as my XP-4 and still lighter than most, I might just go for it. Thanks to all for the help.
Before I ordered my TD, I checked with a lot of people. One of my advisors is a pilot from the Eastern Soaring League, in which I compete. He was the first to recommend it. After checking with others, I received nothing but positive review and recommendations.

This is a thread from when the plane was first introduced in 2004. This takes you to page 9 of a 20 page thread. Phil Barnes, the maker of the wings is an active poster in the thread. Phil also makes the wings for the Supra, the Mantis and the Aegea and other planes. He also competes in the Eastern Soaring league and many, if not most of the pilots in the league, fly planes with his wings.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4&page=9&pp=15

This is a thread where I asked for recommendations for a first contest ship in this price range. You may find the comments helpful in your decision.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2&goto=newpost

For the price it looked like a good choice to me. I can't afford a Supra, but this looks like an excellent entry into this class of plane.

Mine should ship next week.

If you get it, let us know how it works out for you.