HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2006, 08:50 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Discussion
Low Voltage Cut-off for lipo's

I did a search, but did not find what I was looking for (though some threads seem close). I've overdischarged 3 different Lipo's by leaving the battery connected to my ESC and reciever overnight. There must be a simple, in-line device that can be plugged between the battery and the ESC that will effectively cut the battery to ESC to protect the battery from over discharge.

I know I would pay for one if one were available. Anything like that around?

Thanks,
Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2006, 09:17 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
596 Posts
You don't want to do that even at the cost of a battery pack. What if the pack falls below the cut off and the reciever is shut down when you are flying?
You should make it part of your afterflight checks (you do do afterflight checks don't you?) to make sure your battery is disconected, along with all radio conections are OK, all control surfaces are secure. One of the advantages of a slimer is that you have to clean them after every flight, so you check it all out as you clean it. with an electric aircraft the temptation is to fly, switch the tranny off and forget about checking the integrity of the aircraft post flight. Please do before and after flight checks. you may just spot something that could crash your plane.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Jul 09, 2006, 11:43 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Very true Punkie - and for the most part I do. This particular situation ocurred when I was doing some bench testing work and dinner interrupted my work. You are correct of course about the low voltage cutoff, but I guess what I'm thinking of is something that would cut out at a lower voltage than the ESC's cutoff, or even just something with an audible alarm...

Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
Old Jul 09, 2006, 12:06 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid8r
I guess what I'm thinking of is something that would cut out at a lower voltage than the ESC's cutoff...
That might have some value in an electric-powered plane that doesn't glide very well, but I sure wouldn't put one in a sailplane!
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Jul 09, 2006, 08:46 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
You don't want to do that even at the cost of a battery pack. What if the pack falls below the cut off and the reciever is shut down when you are flying?
You should make it part of your afterflight checks (you do do afterflight checks don't you?) to make sure your battery is disconected, along with all radio conections are OK, all control surfaces are secure. One of the advantages of a slimer is that you have to clean them after every flight, so you check it all out as you clean it. with an electric aircraft the temptation is to fly, switch the tranny off and forget about checking the integrity of the aircraft post flight. Please do before and after flight checks. you may just spot something that could crash your plane.
I've done test of this and the time between the cutoff voltage and the overdicharge voltage is only two or three minutes. What's the difference? you cut it off before it damages the pack and the plane is without power - or you cut it off after it damages the pack and the plane is without power.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jul 09, 2006, 08:48 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
I've done test of this and the time between the cutoff voltage and the overdischarge voltage is only two or three minutes. What's the difference? you cut it off before it damages the pack and the plane is without power - or you don't cut it off, it damages the pack and the plane is without power.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jul 09, 2006, 10:30 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,162 Posts
Install a lost model alarm on the Rx. When the Tx is turned off, you will end up with a earful to help warn you it's time to remove the flight battery. If you are into DiY projects, then check out the LOMA project at rc-cam.com
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:13 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,555 Posts
My advice to you my friend - make sure your insurance policy is current!

To be honest, forgetting is a poor excuse. your wife/partner will not buy that if you burn the house down.
I also have done this...once...& got away with it.
Frightened the bejeezus outa me. (I am in the electrical game & know better).
Safety is a concept & as such is not a job for machines but for their operators.
But to answer your question - is there a suicide circuit for this? (suicide meaning the unit self-terminates the power to itself at a given preset level) Yes but not suitable to our hobby, they weigh too much. (zener diode & relay)
It could be designed by an Electronic tech but has little commercial market to be truly viable.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jul 10, 2006, 02:38 PM
Dimension Engineering
Akron, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
1,705 Posts
You could also do it with something that plugs into the RX - no signal for 5 minutes = shut off main power. It'd probably be easier to use a microcontroller that has a deep sleep mode with nanoamps of current draw than something that physically disconnects. If you haven't seen an R/C signal for 5 minutes, chances are you're not in the air anymore.
Comatose is offline Find More Posts by Comatose
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:18 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
If it is the receiver/servo drain that is the issue (not the ESC itself), then you could easily adapt a cellphone li-ion LVC circuit between the receiver and ESC.

All Li-Ion cellphone (and Laptop) packs come with tiny "smart" SMD boards that offer current control and LVC cutoff.

The LVC cuttoff is usually around 2.5V per cell, so a 2-cell board would at least protect you from disastrous discharge. (2.5V per cell under a tiny load might not hurt the cells...)

A cut-off device between the battery and ESC is probably not practical due to the weigth and resistive losses of a high-power switch.
meteor is offline Find More Posts by meteor
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:57 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,259 Posts
I use these little guy's for backup of my esc in my T-38 jet . Light turns on when you hit lvc. I use them in cox-micro warbird with standard esc that has no cut off.

They are at bottom of this link and the next page. For 2S,3S and 4S lipos.
Work for me. Put them on a battery and monitored cutoff. Was right on the money.

http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/new/re...es%2E&offset=0

and this page:

http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/new/re...s%2E&offset=10

About $5.50 for the 2S. Good prices.
BlazerB52 is online now Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:10 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,259 Posts
Another option is a do it yourself audible alarm from link on RCGroups here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221018

BlazerB52 is online now Find More Posts by BlazerB52