HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2002, 12:43 AM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
Another finished Switchback. Finally done!

Well, it was supposed to be done before July 4. That's where the patriotic theme came from. I'm finaly finished and it's 11:40PM on July 29th! So much for deadlines. I've flown it 3 times now, withouh all of the finished trim. This was my second plane and my first attempt at putting on covering. It went successfully but it took *way* longer than I expected . I think the effort was worth it, however.
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria
Last edited by citabria; Jul 30, 2002 at 01:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2002, 12:49 AM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
One more shot...
Old Jul 30, 2002, 01:06 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Welcome, El' Capitan

What a beau, that Switchback is. Are you a member and licensed to fly this plane? If not Martin (Dreamer) is our head, senior in rank. Doug is the President (The father of the Switchback) for a membership, post your pic. in Dreamer's thread. The Switchback Collage pic, and you can be a life time member.

I love your plane, Man. Love it Nice work. How did you get the cover so perfect like that? Pre cut, then ironed?

Thanks,
G.
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Jul 30, 2002, 01:07 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2001
392 Posts
Yeah, covering always takes about 5 times longer than you think it should. Usually takes me longer to cover than to build. Looks like you have mastered the technique...your Switchback is beautiful!

What did you cover with?
gerico is offline Find More Posts by gerico
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:52 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
WOW! Mine seems so plain in comparison. Excellent work.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jul 30, 2002, 09:08 AM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
If that's your first covering job, I'm jealous. That's a beautiful plane. I guess maybe I should take a bit more time when I'm building and covering.
Again, beautiful plane.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:50 AM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
Thanks for the nice compliments. I created the design using a template I scanned from the scale disgrams. If you're interested in it you can grab it from this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hback+template

The white covering is Solite. The red and blue was done using some Ultracoat Plus I got from the bargain bin at my LHS. It worked pretty well except for the fact that the Ultracoat was heavy and the shrink rate didn't match the Solite. The curves were cut exactly as I had designed them by printing out my colored template to scale and simply cutting along the lines. That part worked out great.

As you may be able to tell, building is my favorite part of this sport . This kit was a blast to build and I'll certainly be doing more models with covering. I think I see a Cessna 180 in my future?!