SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:17 PM
Team Visa
Norway
Joined Oct 2004
169 Posts
7minutes an 30 seconds into the gyro setup vid :-)
Bjorn Tore is offline Find More Posts by Bjorn Tore
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:42 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Apr 2006
440 Posts
Several things in the thread - I was referring to the tail box coming apart comment - and thought folks were saying they put a ZIP there. I did use the zip ties for the sliders.

after reading about the tail drive gear seperating, I put a little ca glue on both sides of the gear to help prevent that from happining.
rfaster is offline Find More Posts by rfaster
Last edited by rfaster; Jul 24, 2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:16 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,514 Posts
I don't know if this is a new one or not. The tail seemed sluggish to respond on my maiden flight so I did not do more than just a hover a few feet off the ground. I was chasing the tail as if the gain was set too low. I later found that one of the tail blade grips was further away from the hub than the other, not much but enough to notice. I took the control rod off the rudder servo and found the whole tail pitch system very difficult to move. after removing the tail blade grip that was pulling away from the hub, I found the outer bearing comming apart. the center was pulling out of the outer race. This is a 8x3x3mm bearing and is not all that big. I have a bag of spare parts from the smaller trex-450xl and I believe that the tail housing bearing is 8x3x3mm also. I did not find one so I looked at the trex-450xl main blade grip bearing and it is 8x4x3 so I tried it and it looks like it will work fine plus it should be somewhat stronger. I had two of them so I changed them out on both trex-600 tail blade grips. If anyone has an opinion as to whether or not this is a good idea, please comment. Personally I would recommend everyone change theirs out to have a stronger bearing in place. Mine was probably a bad bearing to start with but it seemed ok when I was assembling it.
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:10 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Thanks Cpts, its seems like a decent thing to keep an eye on. So far mine has been terrific , but now that i have upped the power, i will have to keep a closer eye on all of it.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:26 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
My initial flights with the 600 I too had tail issues. The screws holding the grips to the hub seemed to be a little on the loose side and allowing the tail blades to go off track. I tightened the bolts with more locktite and seems to be holding up fro the last 10 flights. but knowing you found one bearing was damaged I might just do your mod and put the 450 bearing in. Maybe that's why mine went off track in the first place. hummm.....

geneween
geneween is offline Find More Posts by geneween
Old Oct 20, 2006, 05:51 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Seems all is going very well.
I expected back in july that this would be a massive thread. Looks like Align certainly out performed my expectations of them.

Anyhow, while playing with power systems i decided to have a real close look at the airframe etc. It is all holding up remarkably well. When i got to the tail end i decided to pull the Align CF tail blades for a close look. On inspection they didnt seem the same shape. Once removed i put the calipers on them as one felt "thicker" than the other. Sure enough one is larger in girth by .2-.3 mm for the whole span. I have noticed over the months that some flyers have reported iffy tails and i wonder if this has any effect or is a common occurance.

My tail has performed very well to date but i decided to swap to a set of MS 95mm tails that i had in the draw.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace