SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 09, 2006, 05:36 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Careful!
Align Trex 600 - the Issue files

As the Trex has hit the consumer market now, i thought a thread to post the issues we have/had with the kits. Please keep it nice and simple.
If the issue is one of assembly or part quality and how to remedy the situation if known.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2006, 05:38 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
My build went very well, the only problem i have had is questionable ball links. This seems to have happened to a few of us now. I had 3 links that cracked, must have been when popped onto the balls. This concerned me as i did it by hand with little force.

Fortunatly for me i had some spares from another kit that did the job.(non Align)
Old Jul 09, 2006, 07:59 AM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
Check the cap head screws holding the tail gearbox together are long enough, 2 of mine weren't long enough to reach the nylon locking ring in the nuts.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Jul 09, 2006, 10:20 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,802 Posts
You have to do a lot of cutting on the frame to get most outrunners and ORK motors to fit
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 09, 2006, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2006
100 Posts
I was missing one of the collars that should be preinstalled into the washout arm between the bearings (which are also preinstalled). Also, one of my radius arm cracked when pressed into the ball by hand, this has happend so far to one other person. Also not a big issue however, one of my linkage rods was very slightly warpped. I still used it as I don't think it will affect anything.
tcast305 is offline Find More Posts by tcast305
Old Jul 09, 2006, 05:40 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Check the damper rubbers if you are flying hard, they may not be up to the task
Old Jul 09, 2006, 06:53 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,806 Posts
I had a control rod that was only threaded one end. Also the same problem as Ozace with the ball links cracking (after trying to take off for adjustment).
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Jul 09, 2006, 09:55 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
I have been searching the trex 600 threads on different forums, here is a list of other issues that have popped up so far.

- Black head dampeners need to be improved.
- Ball links are a bit on the brittle side.
- Control Shaft H60023 has slop, ie, can pivot side to side.
- Control Shaft H60023 also has the thinned part of it to fit the grub screw for the Elevator lever in the wrong spot (therefore elevator lever hits the main shaft).
- Missing Regulator from kit.
- Belt seems to whip in the boom everynow and then, even if belt is done up tight.
- Gelcoat cracks in the canopy.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozace
I have been searching the trex 600 threads on different forums, here is a list of other issues that have popped up so far.

- Black head dampeners need to be improved.
- Ball links are a bit on the brittle side.
- Control Shaft H60023 has slop, ie, can pivot side to side.
- Control Shaft H60023 also has the thinned part of it to fit the grub screw for the Elevator lever in the wrong spot (therefore elevator lever hits the main shaft).
- Missing Regulator from kit.
- Belt seems to whip in the boom everynow and then, even if belt is done up tight.
Ozace, who has the issue with the control shaft with the thinned (or lowered part) in the wrong spot? I think I might have the same issue, however I haven't put in the servos yet, but its already all the way to the right. It does clear the main shaft however the balls are like 1mm away from it, which to me is way too close. The flat spot needs to be slighty more to the right. Does this pose a problem? Screwing the grub screw into the round part seems to hold fine.

What you think?
tcast305 is offline Find More Posts by tcast305
Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:38 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Mine fit spot on, i just searched all the trex600 posts and picked out the issues. I dont recall who had the problem or what they did about it.
(i searched RR, HF, spot, archeli etc)
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:45 AM
Harstad, Norway
Joined Aug 2005
123 Posts
What about swashplate separation? Anyone tested if Align have used the same method as the (many) early swashplates that were just locktited together...
On a 50 that would be a disaster!
northwood is offline Find More Posts by northwood
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:06 AM
College Station, TX USA
Joined Dec 2003
1,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozace
- Control Shaft e H60023 has slop, ie, can pivot side to side.
They must have missed a washer some place. It fits just fine, there are some washers that you need to install.

The shaft needs to be flipped around!!!!!

Of course it does, all gelcoat will crack if you don't handle it properly.
Nick Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Nick Maxwell
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:39 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
I have not seen a gelcoat canopy that does not crack yet. The 600's canopy has been proved to be pretty tough without been too heavy.

The swash is very beefy, more so than any of the 50 sized heli out there. I think they can easily handle the stress of even larger helis (like Ion size). I was told they went with some high grade Japanese bearings in the swash. I believe they are also threaded together. With all the testings they've been doing, none has came apart. They got it right this time.

My H60023 does not slide laterally. The balls are very close to mainshaft but they do clear. And I haven't observed any rubbing on the parts yet.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:45 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maxwell
Of course it does, all gelcoat will crack if you don't handle it properly.
Wow that was insightful.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Jul 11, 2006, 01:29 PM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,436 Posts
no pics?
muscleflex is offline Find More Posts by muscleflex