HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:42 PM
Joined Jul 2002
53 Posts
Motor Upgrade ?????????

Currently I have a sky scooter with stock motor. After reading all these threads I was thinking about purchasing a mega ACN16/15/4. Looking to go vertical and maybe also getting the mirage 2000. For a controller I am also looking into the TMM« 40eľ3ph, from nesail.com. What I am wondering is this. Is this controller any good and what difference does the amount of turns(winds) that the motor has? From what I can tell is the less turns the higher RPM but at a cost of runtime and torque. Am I on the right track and is this a good motor for what I want?
pooorboy is offline Find More Posts by pooorboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2002, 12:27 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
yes this is a good motor and a great controler for what you want(In my opinion) Ihave the same thing axcept i have the 3 turn and it is in a projeti. You are on the right track axcept for one thing. Run time stays pretty equal.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:24 PM
Joined Jul 2002
53 Posts
Can you tell me why I would want a 3 turn compared to say a 5 turn? I guess that if I would want to have more power than speed I would go with a higher turn but couldn't I just gear a 3 turn if I wanted power?
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:36 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
you sure can. Now I am not too sure on this BUT i believe that if you were to have a 5 turn you could swing a bigger prop that a 3 turn WITHOUT having to use a gearbox. As a example The Jeti Phasors are famous for this. But you are going to be putting this on your zagi correct? If so I myself would just go with the 3 turn this will give you PLENTY of power and alot of speed if you do not want so much speed THROTTLE back extended flight time!

Mal
Old Jul 31, 2002, 06:29 PM
Joined Jul 2002
53 Posts
Any recommendations on the prop? I plan on buying a mirage 2000 and want a lot of speed but I also want a gearbox if I decide to go for power. A recommendation on both the prop and gearbox would be great.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 06:58 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Varioprop this is the one you can adjust pitch with get a 5.6 length blad and a 3.2 mm hub OR get a speed cam 5x5 if you want power with a gearbox go with a 2.5 to 1 gear ratio with a 7x4? I am not sure on the pitch of a 7 long blade but i think it is 7x4 or 7x6 a MPI gearbox would probbaly work for you this will give you three pinions for the motor shaft to chose from I myself would go with the Bigest pinion.(2.5)

Mal With a 5x5 prop on the mirage you ewill have PLENTY of power and speed you should just about be able to send that plane outa sight virtically.

Mal
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:04 PM
Joined Jul 2002
53 Posts
Thats some good info, thanks. Now, where is a good place to order these props? I also want to order a new battery for the mirage. From what I read it takes a 2/3 A and the place I usually order from is out of stock. Thanks for all your help.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:20 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I can't imagine putting anything much hotter than a 6v s400 in a sky scooter. I ripped off a wing midair on mine on the maiden flight, leveling out from the slightest little dive. I would cover it in zagi tape at least, and maybe add a CF spar...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jul 31, 2002, 11:54 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Poorboy
you can get the Varioprop from www.aircraft-world.com. Now these are a little expensive BUT WELL WELL worth the $$ You can expect to pay about $30.00 but this is the BEST 30 bucks i have ever spent. I just got back from trying my new one out and all i can say is WOW!! I have a mega 16/15/3 on my projeti. I had a speed cam 5x5 a 4.7x4.7 and a 5.5x4.3 on this plane and the vario has them all beat,in looks sound and perfomance. Just by sight i know this plane has picked up a good 15mph! This just from a PROP I have the 5.6 length of blade with a 3.2 mm hub. this is what you would be best to get as well if you were going to go with this setup. if nothobby-lobby should have the graupner speed cam props(which are still a decent prop) right now i am running my vario with 4degrees pitch and this thing SCREAMS! i do not think you could get a better setup.

Malcom
Old Aug 04, 2002, 11:57 AM
Joined Jul 2002
53 Posts
I was playing with P-Calc and wanted to see the difference between the 16/15/3 and the 16/15/4 and it apears that it calculates a runtime of the 16/15/4 twice that of the 16/15/3. You stated that runtime pretty much stays the same. Am I missing something here? What kind of run times are you getting with that projeti and the 16/15/3?
Old Aug 04, 2002, 12:17 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Poorboy

My Appolagies you are CORRECT (or P-Calc is) You are going to get better performance from the 3 turn. Mind you what P-Calc is estamating the run time for the 4 turn is what i get with the 3 turn. And with throttle managment i get in the 6 to 7 min range. If you want to have longer flight times with reduced performance go with the 4 turn if notthe 3 this is a nice thing about this sport YOU get to choose. Maybe someone else can shed sme light on just what kind of performance drop you would get using the 4 turn over the 3 and just how much as well.

Mal