Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 08, 2006, 03:48 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Build Log
HDX300 - Discussion

Note: I no longer have this heli. If you need support on it, please contact someone in this thread that is actively working on it or helidirect.com directly.

My pictures in this thread are from a pre-production frame, and not what is shipping currently. The parts that you have may be different than what is shown in the pictures.

Thanks....

Ecaf

Manual: http://www.helidirect.com/upload/HDX...e-Frame-V2.pdf
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf
Last edited by Ecaf; Dec 03, 2007 at 10:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2006, 10:12 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Frame closeups

The fit and finish of the frame is outstanding. The anodizing is really nice although I would prefer a different color Parts fit nicely and no rough edges anywhere.

The side rails are fiberglass, the skids plastic, and the rest of the frame is aluminum. Trex skids would fit with new holes drilled in them allowing a little wider stance and no change in height.

Here are some closeups.
Last edited by Ecaf; Jul 08, 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2006, 10:50 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Mainshaft, One way gear, and tail pulley

The mainshaft that was included on the frame did not have a hole at the top for use with a stock BCP/CP2 head. I guess the HDX300 CNC head uses a grub screw to mount on the mainshaft, so I need to get a replacement. I mounted up a CP2 mainshaft to get a feel, it would work, but its just a little too short (about 1/2").

Ill get some 3dpro mainshafts and it should work fine. I told Steve at helidirect and he is going to look into it.

One nice thing is that you can install the maingear and pulley without taking the frame apart. I have a few pics below.

I added a washer between the pulley and the maingear, this removes a bit of the runout on the maingear.
Old Jul 09, 2006, 01:09 AM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2005
845 Posts
looks good...nice pics
theShark is offline Find More Posts by theShark
Old Jul 09, 2006, 01:28 AM
Formerly P4 Hover
San Jose, California, United States
Joined May 2003
373 Posts
yea, I want one in purple now!! steve, can you see about geting other colors on your upgrade parts?

-Jon
Zeta Phoenix is offline Find More Posts by Zeta Phoenix
Old Jul 09, 2006, 10:46 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2006
55 Posts
Looks awesome. I hope we can buy these soon. I might just have to get one.
Timmer is offline Find More Posts by Timmer
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:20 AM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Update - Main shaft

Didnt work on it much yesterday. Had a bunch of things to do around the house.

I was able to drill a hole in the included shaft. Some patience and my $40 drill press from Harbor Freight worked out fine The shaft metal is fairly soft. I used a center punch to start my hole, and it easily made an indentation. Steve from helidirect has talked with the manufacterer and they are going to be installing a factory hole on the mainshaft.

Anything that people want me to focus on in this build? Any picture requests that you want to get a closeup on? Any input would be appreciated.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:47 AM
..... delivers value!
Joined Nov 2005
663 Posts
Yes, the manufacture will send me the new shaft, stronger and has holes so that can be used on stock blade cp head.

Steve
HeliDirect is offline Find More Posts by HeliDirect
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Steve,

Could I get on the list for one?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:59 PM
Portland, OR US
Joined Aug 2005
992 Posts
Ecaf,

Great review. I like to hear how this thing flies once all parts are in and together with the cnc head. Any idea what is the price of this belt conversion kit is??
cat5 is offline Find More Posts by cat5
Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:16 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Cat5,

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve said the frame would sell for around $55. Not sure what that includes or doesnt include.

I will be running the frame with the stock BCP head. I might get a CNC head depending on $$ here in the near future. We'll see.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:36 PM
Portland, OR US
Joined Aug 2005
992 Posts
No prob Ecaft and keep us posted. I still on my plastic head and it does just fine That is a great price for the conversion kit and together with the cnc head all could be around $150 which is what WE ALL BEEN LOOKING FOR AREN'T WE???

So there is not tail mechanics at this point correct? Is there anything that will work with this conversion kit for the tail or once they release the kit there will be a tail also? Still in the work??

If everything works out great, I say this and the cnc head will be the OOS really quick
Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:55 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Sep 2004
307 Posts
I too am interested in the flight characteristics. I have tried the dual motor method and would rather have a belt drive.

BTW, when will this be available for purchase?
rodneybarrett is offline Find More Posts by rodneybarrett
Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:59 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat5
No prob Ecaft and keep us posted. I still on my plastic head and it does just fine That is a great price for the conversion kit and together with the cnc head all could be around $150 which is what WE ALL BEEN LOOKING FOR AREN'T WE???

So there is not tail mechanics at this point correct? Is there anything that will work with this conversion kit for the tail or once they release the kit there will be a tail also? Still in the work??

If everything works out great, I say this and the cnc head will be the OOS really quick
From what Steve told me, they are going to sell a complete kit (Frame, head, tail - All CNC) minus electronics. Should be reasonably priced.

As for the tail, I didnt have the parts and Steve sent out GB and other parts for me on Friday. I should hopefully have them today/tomorrow. Its a 3DX-400 tail that will work so the CNC tail for the 3DX-400 will work.

One thing that I need to work on is a Gyro mount. Not sure where it will go right now, but I have an idea.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 02:06 PM
Portland, OR US
Joined Aug 2005
992 Posts
Ok thanks for the update on the tail. Keep us posted