HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2006, 01:54 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1 Posts
Help!
Build a 'stick/tissue' model for electric power

Anyone out there with experience in these things:

I've had a COMET Piper Cub Cruiser model kit sitting around for quite a while, waiting for someone (originally my son, but looks like it'll be me) to build it. The box lists it as 'suitable for 1/4A to 1/2A gas power or rubber'. Reading my past issues of 'Model Aviation' from AMA, I hear lots of gripes about how tricky it is to 'convert' specs for gas to electric.

Anyone with experience interested in helping me out with this? In return for your help, I'll send you pictures of stage by stage construction and final flight. I envision modifying the kit to 1) house the usual electric rc stuff, 2) add ailerons and work them with one servo instead of two 3) control rudder/elevator with pull/pull rods/cable, 4) run it from my Hitec Laser-4 radio.
neclive is offline Find More Posts by neclive
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2006, 02:25 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
lots of threads on the subject. way too many to list so here's a link to most of them.
hope this helps.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 08, 2006, 05:11 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Not too tough to do. Typically, we'd suggest rudder and elevator only to keep the weight down, but ailerons would be fine, it'll just fly faster. The poor centering of most of the affrodable sub 6g servos means you'll end up with 6-8g servos, picos or HS-50s. The reliability of the Berg Microstamp4 DSP receiver means that's the one to use. A small brushless outrunner like a park 370, Hyperion ZZ2205, or Axi 2208 would be a good place to start with a 1/2a cub. For those motors, Lipoly packs in the 700-900mah range make sense.

It would be nice to know the wingspan, I'm guessing it's around 34-38" or so. If you need more tech assistance, contact us at info@3DHobbyShop.com.

Good luck!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 08, 2006, 08:55 PM
Sun City, AZ
Joined Jun 2002
310 Posts
neclive:
Would be glad to help you, but I would need to see (1) the plans from the kit (2) what electric stuff you plan to use (3) what servos you have with your HiTec laser-4 radio.
I suggest we communicate via email to avoid clutter up of this post.
feihu
feihu is offline Find More Posts by feihu
Old Jul 08, 2006, 10:23 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
i made one for a science project!(scratch of course!) flew great until i started showing off in front of the class ended up cratering it!!! it was funny i laughed it off, funny thing was the class went quiet and i was the only one making noise, man im stupid...
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Jul 09, 2006, 12:46 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I've built one of these ages ago for the Mattel Galloping Ghost single channel radio and a Cox .049 Babe Bee. I could never get it airborne long enough to know if it would have worked.

The Comet kit is OK, the wood is somewhat heavy but it should fly fine with a GWS 300 EPS drive or even one of the Balsa Products cheapy brushlesses, HS55 or Pico servos, and a decent RX like the Hitec electron or Berg by Castle Creations.

Like someone else mentioned, I wouldn't get to hung up on ailerons, as this kit was a freeflight, it didn't have true scale size tail surfaces and was set up with dihedral. If this is your first rubber kit conversion keep it simple with just RET, only 2 servos and it will be fun to fly none the less.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jul 09, 2006, 09:11 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,284 Posts
Pat Trittle designs his airplanes in the stick and tissue tradition and they do just fine. There are changes that need to be made to pure rubber kits but they are not too difficult. Think each step through before you reach for the glue bottle. Use the lightest material that will do the job. Keep in mind the fact that electrics suffer far less from vibration--dont over build.
And most important---take your time. Dont rush the build. If your not sure get help.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM