HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2006, 01:10 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
Discussion
Trinity F3F Carbon or Carbon D-Box??

I picked up a brand new Trinity F3F which is supposed to be the all Carbon. Last night I opened up the servo hole covers and there was carbon but if you look down the wing from the spar back is fiberglass. Correct me if im wrong but that would make it the D-Box version correct? I am new to this whole moldie thing but im pretty sure I recieved the wrong wing.

Thanks,

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2006, 03:17 PM
H.A.L. 9000
Benicia Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2001
730 Posts
Weigh it, or PM Ave, he has an all carbon one. Chris
checkenbach is offline Find More Posts by checkenbach
Last edited by checkenbach; Jul 08, 2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2006, 04:16 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,771 Posts
I would have bought the D-box over the carbon one, anyway; I'd stick with that.
Get with Bob or Annette at SUSA to see if can make you an addition to the long list of happy customers, by making things right, if they aren't.
They are great people.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 08, 2006, 06:25 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,245 Posts
Never opened mine up (it was the all carbon version) but I'd want the d-box version as well if there is a next time.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jul 08, 2006, 07:28 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,946 Posts
Trinity

Aaron:
you got a Carbon... for sure...

The carbon is on the outer skin, you can see the black on the hinge lines outside. Then, there is the base material... in this case, herex.
The inner skin is fiberglass, the herex is the base of the "sandwich"..
The carbon you are seeing is to mount your servos in, to give a stronger base to glue them to. It is only a square patch.

Now, if you want a 2X carbon, outer/inner, I can get you one in about 6 weeks, and it will be a bit heavier, and stronger... But what you have there is VERY strong... I have made some "ISR" versions for guys like that.

And yes, you do have more latitude with a bit lighter D box plane, IF you want to race it. You can always go up with ballast, hard to go down in weight. But, there is a slight sacrifice in strength....

We are now building lighter, stronger airframes with some of the newer UMS, and UHM carbon. The spar in the Trinity is UHM, and, it is huge, like an I beam. I have seen one broken, and it broke the tree it hit too!

We have both versions, and the new E version in stock......
Choose your weapon!

Aaron, if you need any questions answered about the build, email me personally.....

bob@soaringusa.com

Happy Landings!
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 08, 2006, 08:24 PM
ave
Wind Junkie
North Coast, Calif.
Joined Jun 2004
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkenbach
Weigh it, or PM Ave, he has an all carbon one. Chris
I have a "All Carbon" trin, and it's the same way with the servo holes... just a patch of carbon. However, after feeling the difference between a carbon d-box and the all carbon wing, there is a big difference in stiffness and strength(and weight). Knowing how strong these are I would probably go with a D-box too... unless I end up DSing it, which I probably will..
The wings are incredibly strong. It's the fuse I'd worry more about breaking.

ave-
ave is offline Find More Posts by ave
Old Jul 08, 2006, 10:45 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
Thanks alot guys. Bob was right. I just wanted to make sure. I can see the carbon on the hinge now. This is my 2nd moldie, maidened my 1st today (banana-awesome plane by the way, Thanks Bob!). Im hooked for sure so im glad so I can start building my Trinity! I actualy go this Trinity from my local hobby shop since I wanted to get started on it right away until I decided to get a Banana to start with. I have seen a all Carbon Trinity fly in pretty light conditions out at Coyote Hills. I was very suprised that it was staying up (me and my pops were sitting there saying no way will that thing fly, and it was going up). Thanks again for the help here. I hope to have to Trinity up in the air in a couple weeks.

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
Old Jul 09, 2006, 01:18 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,924 Posts
I just built the Carbon Dbox Version of the Trinity and it came out AUW of 87oz's! This is PERFECT weight for F3F and is still VERY Strong!! I'll be flying it tomorrow at White Point along with the F3B Xtail I just picked up! These should be just what the doctor ordered!! Enjoy!
Timmig
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:55 AM
Kaohsiung city ,Taiwan,R.O.C
Joined May 2005
344 Posts
Hi! everyone

We just completed build two of Dbox Version of the Trinity , the weight of all of two
were about 2500g , it is light or heavy ? tomorrow we will going to first fly. the wind
about 5~10m/sec.

thanks!

Hung.
C. J. Hung is offline Find More Posts by C. J. Hung
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:07 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,924 Posts
That's right on the weight that my new one is. 87oz's x 28.4grams/once = 24708g.
So you're right near the same weight-- you're probably not at the same CG as I run it very far back--that could account for the extra weight.
FWIW
TIm
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:51 AM
Kaohsiung city ,Taiwan,R.O.C
Joined May 2005
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
That's right on the weight that my new one is. 87oz's x 28.4grams/once = 24708g.
So you're right near the same weight-- you're probably not at the same CG as I run it very far back--that could account for the extra weight.
FWIW
TIm
Thanks!
C. J. Hung is offline Find More Posts by C. J. Hung