HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2006, 02:45 PM
Wie Ein floh!
UK
Joined Jun 2006
1,138 Posts
Help!
Easy Pigeon, Philips Key019 camera mount

I'm going to attempt some AP tomorrow if the weather is good with the Philips Key019 and my Easy pigeon.
I didnt want to alter my pigeon in anyway so I've created a small balsa cradle to house the camera.
I tried out the camera on the pigeon this morning on the gorund and found that if the camera is just taped to the body the shot is too full of wing so I've created this mount with a soft foam wedge to angle the shot down. From this position I got no vibration or motor distortion to the shot.

I am interested into whether you all think that this mount (held on with the 3 bands and with velcro on the back to stop it shifting) will be able to withstand flying about, to me it seems secure but Its better to be safe than sorry (The camera is taped to the balsa mount).

The key019 takes good video and this is what I will be using it for, I'm currently working on producing a largie foamie lifter to cary a nikon 7900 for proper shots but this will hopefully be some fun in the meantime
Cheers!
Matt

109Mechanik is offline Find More Posts by 109Mechanik
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2006, 03:08 PM
SS AP'er!!
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Joined Oct 2003
682 Posts
I think that should be pretty safe. I have an easy pigeon, and although it's a big clunky motor, the vibrations wouldn't shift the camera. I think i just velcroed my megacam onto mine when i did it ages ago. The Easy Pigeon is a fantastic powered glider, i'll have to get mine back out!
pjblink is offline Find More Posts by pjblink
Old Jul 07, 2006, 03:53 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Using velcro for the little cameras work great, the rubber bands should do the job nicely but I'd be a bit concerned with the bands being cleaved by the wing as they run right across the wing saddle.

-Roger

RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Jul 07, 2006, 04:00 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,367 Posts
I agree. I think it should be fine. I just use velcro for my Aptek little camera, but a better system for my more expensive camera. With those rubber bands I don't see how it can get away.Can you adjust the angle if you need to? I guess by putting a fatter foam at the top on the back, huh? Nice plane. Looking forward to your pictures and video's.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jul 07, 2006, 04:51 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
My camera is a LOT heavier and the mount is held in the EasyStar cockpit with just 1 velcro band. I've flown loopings with it. Not on purpose, but still. Held fine. The airflow probably won't shift anything held on with velcro. Problem with your location could be that it is very close to the ground and any obsticles on the ground. Even some dense grass might cause sufficient resistance to pull the camera off on landing. Maybe tape a tapered bit of foam in front of the camer mount on the fuse to prevent this ??? And certainly consider either the rubber bands or tape over parts of the camera/mount to have additional security for landing.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jul 08, 2006, 02:07 PM
Wie Ein floh!
UK
Joined Jun 2006
1,138 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone,
I can alter the angle of the cam using a different size foam wedge. Unfortunately it doesnt look like I'll be able to fly this weekend as the weather is pretty abissmal outside, overcast and windy so I'll have to wait till next week.
In the meantime i'll see if my Lama can lift this cam
Matt
Old Jul 08, 2006, 03:26 PM
SS AP'er!!
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Joined Oct 2003
682 Posts
I have to say you just convinced me to get my pigeon out! Now she's all set up, can't wait for the winds to die down a little! You'll have another EP flying a bit north of you!
Old Jul 08, 2006, 03:32 PM
Wie Ein floh!
UK
Joined Jun 2006
1,138 Posts
Good Job!
This is only the 1.7 metre version (I couldnt wait for the 1.8) Just remember the crazy trim difference on the pigeon between full throttle and gliding, it tries to climb vertically with throttle on. I've got a JV44 papagei staffel red and white banded underside on this one and it looks great in the air!!
Old Jul 08, 2006, 07:05 PM
SS AP'er!!
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Joined Oct 2003
682 Posts
Cool! I could just see the red on the skid in the photo above. Mine is the 1.8m, standard white body/ blue wings.

I know exactly what you mean about the trim difference though, it screams into the sky at full throttle! Its my one and only glider, and it doesn't half move on the downwind!
Old Jul 09, 2006, 08:45 AM
Spead Eagle, WI (about 2 hours north of Green Bay)
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
I just tested my new homebuilt AP plane with an almost identical mount...except w/ out the rubber bands. Just one strip of packaging tape and some velcro holds the nikon 3700 in fine. I have had 2 flights w/ no problems and I dont see how it would come loose it is very secure.
Dan
Picoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Picoflyer