HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2006, 01:58 PM
Mitchell, South Dakota, United States
Joined Jun 2004
196 Posts
Yippee!
Top Flite .60 Corsair almost RTF!

Hello, I just put the last clear coat on her last night and now its ready for all the guts to be installed...Im putting in a Saito 1.00 four stroke that is on the test stand now,CJM air retracts and jr servos with futaba radio...It has sig koverall covering with dope,paint,then clear coat...See the build pictures below...Should be done in a few days..Dustin
rmeflyerkid is offline Find More Posts by rmeflyerkid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2006, 03:27 PM
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2005
985 Posts
Sweet, looks like you got plenty of backyard for it too!
patrick181 is offline Find More Posts by patrick181
Old Jul 07, 2006, 06:45 PM
Joined May 2006
57 Posts
Nice work, Dustin. Would Cabela's let you fly that in their back yard?

We're about 120 miles southeast of you. Maybe we'll spot that Corsair next time we come out to buy too much hunting gear (again).

Just finished a Great Planes Combat Corsair with a .25. Real sweet flyer with that gull wing. Your Saito should make yours scream. Be sure to post you maiden flight details.
N3480H is offline Find More Posts by N3480H
Old Jul 08, 2006, 09:59 AM
Joined Jun 2004
196 Posts
Hehe thanks guys..yea I do have plenty of back yard to fly..just see the pic below I took with a diff plane ...120 miles south east? so in yankton or vermillion or are you neb.?..let me know next time your up here, theres only one other peroson in mitchell that flys and he isnt into it much any more..later..Dustin
Old Jul 08, 2006, 12:25 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,616 Posts
Hello rme

I see you are also building a corsair I have just started a thread on the H9 60 size. Yours looks like more work but she will be a lovely bird. You have a huge amount of space there. Do you take off from the bottom of your garden. I wish us chaps in the UK could get those Saito 100's for a good price they are excellent engines and go lovely in the H9 birds. Have fun and here is a link to my Corsair thread

www.densplanes.co.uk

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...94#post5723473
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jul 08, 2006, 01:21 PM
Joined Jun 2004
196 Posts
Hey,Yea I fly from under the garden in that picture..There is plenty of space here to fly but if the wind is always blowing 10 mph or more it kinda defeats the purpose..and belive me it does...Im not a big fan of arfs and I have nothing but kits in my hangar but that Corsair looks just like mine...And the Saito is an awesome engine..Ive been running it on the test stand a lot and had it idling at about 2,000 rpm for almost half an hour!Im having a bit of trouble with the ailerons tho..They wont return to where they were when I let off the sticks..Im using a ny-rod tube inside of a tube setup so I think the outer tube is moving inside the wing somewhere..either that or they need to be oiled a bit..any ideas??..Later..Dustin
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:32 PM
Joined Jun 2004
196 Posts
She's done!

Welp..Took about 5 months on and off to finish her up..No clue what the auw is but im guessing about 10lbs..Maiden might be this week, if not, this weekend for sure...Cjm retracts are working great but we'll see how they hold up on landings..Built this for grandpa Phil who flew Corsair's for the Marines back in his day...I'll keep ya updated on the maiden and most likely will post a video of the first flight..Enjoy..Dustin
Old Jul 11, 2006, 01:34 AM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,616 Posts
Very nice indeed Dustin. You have finished about the same time I have finished mine. Are you going to put a pilot in her

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:33 AM
Joined Jun 2004
196 Posts
I think im leaving the cockpit empty on this one..wouldnt want to cover up that 3 hour paint job on the scale interior...Dustin
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:27 PM
Joined May 2006
57 Posts
Congratulations on completing your Corsair, Dustin. What a great and honorable tribute to you grandpa! I hope your area cools off soon so you have some "fatter" air to fly her in.

Tom (in NW IA)
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:13 PM
Joined Jun 2004
196 Posts
hey thanks tom..yea its a barn burner up here..luckily since it hasnt rained in like 3 weeks the air is really dry and the usual humidity isnt in the air to make it feel even more miserable...but were gettin about 99 degrees for a good 7 hours of daylight...
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:53 AM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,616 Posts
Have you managed the maiden yet..................It is too windy here in the UK have to wait a few days or so

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:13 PM
Joined Jun 2004
196 Posts
Hey,I tried last night but my engine wouldnt run up to full throttle with out cutting out..Its a stupid tuning issue I should have figured out before driving 50 miles to the flying field last night..and im afraid the heat and wind will prevent a maiden for a while..Ill let you know when I get the chance..Dustin
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:48 PM
Joined May 2006
57 Posts
When Dustin talks of wind and heat, he means it. We were in Mitchell today. 30mph HOT wind! Real hot. Had to be about 105 degrees. The only thing this weather is good for is roasting cattle on the hoof. Density altitude would have been about 20,000 feet.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 02:06 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
So... how'd it fly?
gtfreeflyer is online now Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer