SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2006, 06:51 AM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous, Mitja! You are a very good craftsman. Thanks for sharing with us!
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2006, 10:47 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
I agree, a beautifully designed and built model. Have you designed other models too, Mitja? You seem like an experienced builder/designer.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jul 07, 2006, 11:15 AM
Erk
All thumbs, no scents
Vallejo CA
Joined Nov 2005
597 Posts
Wow! What a pretty fishy!

The rubber band gluing fixture is ingenious! I've only seen that used for guitar repairs; never thought it would work for models!

Are kits available?

Erik
Erk is offline Find More Posts by Erk
Old Jul 07, 2006, 12:49 PM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25
I agree, a beautifully designed and built model. Have you designed other models too, Mitja? You seem like an experienced builder/designer.
Steve
I enjoy designing, building and flying my ow models. Well, I must admit, that somethimes I get inspiration for my designs on the other models, but I never make copies.

Some of my designs:

F5J-400 sailplane with 118" wingspan (3m) season 2004

F5J sailplane for season 2005

video of climbing with Mega ACn16/15/3: http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=62988

My little green beast, sport model:

And many more.... will show them by time...

Maybe you should visit my homepage: MS-UL Design to see more about me and my designs.
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
Last edited by ultralajt; Jul 07, 2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2006, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erk
Wow! What a pretty fishy!
The rubber band gluing fixture is ingenious! I've only seen that used for guitar repairs; never thought it would work for models!
Are kits available?
Erik
Yes, the kits are available. The production of the KITs take over one of my friends who also own a hobby shop.
But I dont know if he will be willing to send the kits by post abroad, and how will this affect on the end price for the customer.

Prototype KIT.

Well who knows, if will be the interes for this sailplane, maybe we will send it around the globe. Everything is possible!

Regards!

Mitja
Last edited by ultralajt; Jul 07, 2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2006, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
Today was a great day for flying!

Last edited by ultralajt; Jul 10, 2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:11 AM
Joined Aug 2004
105 Posts
congratulations, you have done a great work here

i cannot find the blueprints for the normal edition of guppy
orck is offline Find More Posts by orck
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:16 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orck
congratulations, you have done a great work here

i cannot find the blueprints for the normal edition of guppy
I will put the link to the GUPPY plans soon here!

Mitja
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:53 AM
Bologna - Italy
Joined Aug 2005
12 Posts
Great Job
I like the way you make the balsa pod, can you please post some more photos of construction?

Ciao
Maurizio
ADSO is offline Find More Posts by ADSO
Old Jul 13, 2006, 02:02 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSO
Great Job
I like the way you make the balsa pod, can you please post some more photos of construction?
Ciao
Maurizio
If you look at the page 1, you can find some pictures of the fuselage.

Fuselage is build in two separated parts (pod and boom) and they are joined together somwhere in the middle of the manufacturing process.

The rear part (boom) is build around a carbon tube. The balsa strips are glued on top, bottom and sides of the tube. Latter, this boom is sanded to elliptical cross section.

The front part is builded like a box with triangle balsa on the inside corners. This triangular balsa allow that outside shape can be "shaved" down to elliptic cross section.
But before one start to shape outside surfaces, the boom and pod are glued together. I use kind of expandable polyurethane glue to make this joint. It fills up all gaps, and sands well.

The bottom side of the fuselage is laminated from 4 layers of 2mm balsa, with help of "mold" made from styrofoam.

Main components for the forward part of the fuselage are bottom and two sidewalls.

Detail of the cockpit. Triangular balsa is visible here. Note the grain direction!
(this photo is courtesy of Rupert, one of the builders of Guppy)

Joining the both fuselage parts. It is a good idea here to use fuselage drawing as a guide, to poroperly adjust both parts, coz if not, the angle of attack of wing and tail can go wrong! Note the rear one wing mounting plywood, with thread reinforced with CA glue!
Last edited by ultralajt; Jul 13, 2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 02:10 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
The KIT made on CNC Laser cutting machine is already in production!

I also made some additional drawings for the building of the Guppy from the KIT, because some parts are slightly different than if one build it from scratch.
In KIT version, some tail members are designed to lock between each other, so the building process is fast and accurate without necessary measurements and adjusting the parts.

Last edited by ultralajt; Jul 13, 2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 02:51 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
More pictures of KIT:

Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:20 AM
Bologna - Italy
Joined Aug 2005
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralajt
Joining the both fuselage parts. It is a good idea here to use fuselage drawing as a guide, to poroperly adjust both parts, coz if not, the angle of attack of wing and tail can go wrong!

So you don't use any kind of jig to assembled the pod? only the drawing as a reference? triangle stock are glued to the sides and then the sides to the bottom?
Excuse my silly questions but i'm a newby.

Ciao
Maurizio
ADSO is offline Find More Posts by ADSO
Old Jul 13, 2006, 06:24 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
No, you dont need any special jigs. You need a straight working surface only. It could bee a workbencha or a woden board.

The rear part of fuselage is assembled laying on its side on the bench or board, so it is straight, when finished.

The front part is glued in two phases. First we glue the sidewalls and bottom (laminated bottom) at their straight forvard section. We also glue the front plywood rib in between fuselage sides and all balsa nose sections.
When glue is dry, we glue rear tapered part of fuselage and also glue in the rear plywood rib. I clamp this rear part while gluing, with many rubber bands and some self adhesive tape.

When glue is dry, we insert and glue all triangular balsa in the corners.

Now we join pod and boom parts of fuselage together, but now we must assure, that they are glued straight...we dont want a curved centerline of the fuselage. It should be straight.

We can fix our fuselage on the board by rubber bands or adhesive tape, and put some audio casettes to support a boom and assure the straightness of complete fuselage.

If we fail just a bit, we can still save our work, by sanding the fin upper part where horizontal tail will be mounted, to achieve proper difference between tail and winga AOA. We can use plans for evaluating the AOA, just by putting the fuselage to lay sideward on the plans, with wing saddle laying excatly over the plans. And observing the direction of horizontal tail saddle line...and correcting it if needed.

Regards!
Mitja
Last edited by ultralajt; Jul 14, 2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:42 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,238 Posts
GUPPY PLANS FREE TO DOWNLOAD:

PLANS:
http://p-chan.prkoritu.net/rc/src/11...15.pdf.unknown

INSTRUCTIONS:
Instructions not yet in English, but many pictures tell also about assembly

I suggest to use one of Tiled print free software for printing this large plan (scale 1:1) to separate papers and glued them together.
Last edited by ultralajt; Jul 14, 2006 at 03:11 AM.