HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2006, 08:40 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Question
Conensus on DN Micro Charger or FMA Cellpro?

Seeing as these two do about the same thing for about the same price, what's the consensus? I'm still waiting on my DN to arrive, as well as my batteries! :P
ormandj is offline Find More Posts by ormandj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2006, 09:42 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jun 2006
73 Posts
I had the Cellpro 4s on order but was told by FMA thatit would be at least mid-July before it was available and that there was a good back log to fill. I cancelled and ordered the DN instead. Used it for the first time today and it seems to work well. It has .2a-2.0a charging in .2a increments. I tried each battery at 1.0, 1.6, and 1.8 amps and all charged well. I am a FNG though
levelOne is offline Find More Posts by levelOne
Old Jul 06, 2006, 09:58 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by levelOne
I had the Cellpro 4s on order but was told by FMA thatit would be at least mid-July before it was available and that there was a good back log to fill. I cancelled and ordered the DN instead. Used it for the first time today and it seems to work well. It has .2a-2.0a charging in .2a increments. I tried each battery at 1.0, 1.6, and 1.8 amps and all charged well. I am a FNG though
FNG is?
Old Jul 06, 2006, 10:06 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jun 2006
73 Posts
oops, f'n new guy!
levelOne is offline Find More Posts by levelOne
Old Jul 07, 2006, 10:39 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2006
48 Posts
I've been using the Cellpro 4s since early may for my helicopter lipos. No problems yet, I always use auto charge. Only problem is that you may need to put different balance connectors on all your batteries.

Brian
02fx4dude is offline Find More Posts by 02fx4dude
Old Jul 07, 2006, 02:40 PM
WWW.RITEHOBBY.COM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2004
514 Posts
from what I know. the CP4S is a serial charger with a internal balancer.
but DNP balance charger is a real parallel charger.

Jun
ildo is offline Find More Posts by ildo
Old Jul 07, 2006, 02:53 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ildo

Jun
Ahh. So CP4S is bleeding electricty from cells via balancing taps, whereas your DN charger is charging through the balancing taps, monitoring voltage so that it keeps them in balance. I guess I'll find out exactly how they compare once my batteries come in!
Old Jul 07, 2006, 03:05 PM
WWW.RITEHOBBY.COM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2004
514 Posts
I believe so.

Jun
ildo is offline Find More Posts by ildo
Old Jul 07, 2006, 06:17 PM
Joined May 2006
42 Posts
I do not believe that is corrrect. According to most reviews and information posted by FMA the cellpro charges each cell independently.

J.
83GT is offline Find More Posts by 83GT
Old Jul 07, 2006, 10:48 PM
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jul 2003
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ildo

Jun
The CP4S charges each cell as a separate cell. I ordered mine at the Toledo show and asked if it was possible to charge a pack by just using a single pos and neg lead and was told no, this charger is not a pack charger, it is a cell charger. FMA explained that there are 4 circuits in this charger and each cell is monitored separately. I bought a bunch of adapters and converted my flying packs. So far, I am very happy with it and I do like the readout for each cell which lets you see how much is going into that cell. One of the first things I tried was discharging a 3s to a different level for each cell then hooking it up to the Cellpro. The 3 readouts matched my DVM and after charging, all the cells were at 4.2 off the charger. After a couple of hours, they were all at 4.19. I did have a CSRC charger and used it for about 5 cycles then sold it and got the Cellpro. Nothing wrong with the CS charger, I just liked the Cellpro better.

Dave
dflier is offline Find More Posts by dflier
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:04 AM
AMA 951 since 1958
USA, FL, Newberry
Joined Nov 2000
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GT
I do not believe that is corrrect. According to most reviews and information posted by FMA the cellpro charges each cell independently.

J.
I have tested both and they each charge cells independently. The Cellpro gives you a lot more information during the charge process. in addition to individual cell voltages:

1)**Shows Charge Amps and Amp Hours accurate to 1%.

2)** Fuel gauge eliminates the guessing of battery capacity remaining.* It shows 0 to 100% and is accurate to 5%.

3)** PC viewer software allows graphing of individual cell performance.
Red Scholefield is offline Find More Posts by Red Scholefield
Last edited by Red Scholefield; Jul 10, 2006 at 11:12 AM.