HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2006, 06:54 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Discussion
What are you building or flying at Soar Utah 2006

Right now I am working on a DG500/22 and right now it is looking like I will get some flight time on it before Soar Utah get's started ...Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2006, 07:09 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Jun 2004
31 Posts
My Nearly Free Nimbus 4D 5.2 Meter

The Airplane Deal of the Century?
For a few months I had considered buying a scale ship for Soar Utah 2006 but hadn’t decided on a plane. I had sent numerous emails to our club’s resident scale expert Tauno, and knew I wanted something in the 4 to 5 meter range. About Thanksgiving, Clarence sent out an email about a scale sailplane for sale in Salt Lake.
It was a Nimbus 4D 5.2 meter. I immediately emailed the owner and said I wanted it – but first I would need to inspect it. I raced over the next morning to have a look. Sure enough it was a brand-new Nimbus with some minor hangar rash and a few missing parts. I was like a kid on Christmas. In fact, once I stuck my finger through the mini window to reach the canopy release I was sold.
He was asking a mere $500 for the plane. Truth be told I would have traded him my daughter for that beauty. Icare sells the plane for $1,300 plus shipping cost. So I wrote him a check and left with one of the best Christmas presents I have ever given myself. Whoever said the joy is in the giving not the receiving never gave himself a Nimbus with a canopy release.
Some simple math tells me I got the RC deal of the century. A bought a nearly $1,500 plane for $500 – about a 66% discount. As my wife always says after a trip to the mall “I know I spent a lot, but look how much I saved!” Finally I was beginning to see the wisdom of female logic.
The plane sat in bubble wrap through the holidays, when in early January Tauno graciously helped me get it together.
Before I could put it together I knew I needed a few servos for it. A few turned out to be 10. Yes 10. I took Tauno’s advice and got 6 digital servos for the control surfaces. Turns out that the aileron pockets are too small for the 368s so I had to go with the 168s instead. Sure they’re a bit pricier but hey – look how much I saved. Oh and then there were the 2 high torque beasts for the retract and nose release and the other servos for the speed brakes. The Some Dude’s gift certificate I won at the Christmas party almost covered the sales tax. Yep I nearly surpassed the price of the plane in the costs for the servos. But this was no big deal really. I got a great interest rate on the second mortgage I took out to buy this sack-o-servos.
Funny thing about 10 servos – you need 10 channels to make them all work. But the Stylus only has 8 channels. JR has a brilliant solution for this – called the Matchbox. This nifty (something Tom would come up with) device allows you to connect 2 servos to one receiver channel and control the direction and end points of each servo individually. I needed two of these beauties. I called and ordered these electronic marvels and put my hernia surgery on hold, but hey – look how much I’m saving.
In talking to Tom, I couldn’t fly a cool scale sailplane without a PCM receiver. Seems it has some sort of fail-safe that I couldn’t live without. Besides, it has the necessary 8 channels. Everett was headed to the AMA convention and I had him buy one for me from George Joy. Even with George’s $5 discount I had to raid my daughter’s college fund to buy it, but I don’t think she’s really college material anyway.
Armed with the latest and greatest in servos, receivers, and electronic stuff I started building, confident that I could put my credit card away when I realized I’m wasn’t quite done. Seems I need a battery. Scratch that – make it batteries. “You need redundant batteries in this plane – and a separate battery for the retract and nose release.” A quick trip to Tower Hobbies dot com and before I can press the enter key the batteries, switches, charging jacks and a few other things I never knew I needed are on the way to Sandy. The cost was no big deal really. I raided the 401K to buy this stuff. Hey – I like the idea of working until I’m 87 before I can retire.
So now I’m nearing completion on the deal of the century, when Everett comes over with this cute little doll that looks like a sailplane pilot. Fits perfectly in the cockpit and adds a nice touch. I decide I have to have one – err make that two. Seems my Nimbus is a two seater and I need the nose weight anyway. Now you can’t have the scale pilots without some other scale goodies hanging around, like a map, camera, joystick, and seatbelts. Lucky for me Icare has it all in stock. Shipping from Canada is more expensive than you might think – but no big deal really. I sold my wife’s kidney on Ebay and got it all ordered.
Well my deal of the century is ready to fly at Soar Utah. Once the south winds start blowing I’ll get to the Point and give it a throw. (Provided I get that hernia surgery.) In retrospect, I probably could have saved a few bucks buy buying a full-scale Nimbus, but it would have been hard to get it into the basement. No point in worrying about it though, I saved so much on this plane it was practically free.
erikvogel is offline Find More Posts by erikvogel
Old Jul 06, 2006, 08:34 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
That was one of the most entertaining posts of read erikvogel. I tried that spending philosophy on my wife today...I needed tools and other building supplies. Well, it didn't work so well on her...she saw right through it. So now I'm doing a bunch of yard work and a few other jobs to get myself out of the dog house. I will probably fly my old (new for me) Falcon 880 for Soar Utah 2006. I need a couple of those $40 JR servos though. I will have to try some new strategies on the wife...any suggestions out there from some of you more experienced people who spend lots of $'s on RC stuff and still have a wife?
dwmumford is offline Find More Posts by dwmumford
Old Jul 06, 2006, 10:41 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,463 Posts
i just pretend that i'm pissed as hell all the time and she lets me do whatever i want!!!

marty
prplgoat is online now Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Jul 06, 2006, 10:51 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,690 Posts
"Whoever said the joy is in the giving not the receiving never gave himself a Nimbus with a canopy release."

Hehe. Great post Eric! I'm looking forward to seeing your "almost free" airplane at Soar Utah.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:20 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,710 Posts
Erik, what if you suddenly encounter sink and your plane heads for the valley floor?
You clearly need an up-and-go retractable motor system with carbon prop, brushless motor and Lipo batteries. Oh, and a new charger, and a source battery for the charger. And a few more channels: the MPX Royal Evo 12 will do the trick. Got any more funds to tap into or body parts to sell?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:40 PM
Just plane Mad
utah
Joined Dec 2002
407 Posts
Build something

Hey Gang

I do not know what I am building yet. I will try to post a pic of our humble little slope where we host Soar Utah. I am leaning toward building my favorite glider. It will be assembled and built from the finest plain white copy paper money can buy. Probably 8.5X11 allthough I have been toying with the idea of 11X14. I figure under the right conditions I will most likely get a 3 to 42 min flight. I am still working on the preliminary calculations. Also check post in scale sailplanes if you are interested in Aero Tow.
Info www.soarutah.org

Ted
paramtn is offline Find More Posts by paramtn
Last edited by paramtn; Jul 06, 2006 at 11:52 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Jul 07, 2006, 12:56 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,690 Posts
I'm hoping I'll get a chance to crack a few pipes with this sweet little thing I'm putting together just for Utah.
Old Jul 07, 2006, 01:19 AM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,160 Posts
huummm...

those wings look suspeciously familiar ......
dutchydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by dutchydawg1
Old Jul 07, 2006, 01:28 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,690 Posts
Hehe. No need to be suspicious... I blantantly stole most of my design ideas for this one from you Dutchy! Thanks for leading the way.

I'm right behind you on this build. I did a couple things a little different. I'll post some pics in my "Go Fast" build thread soon.
Old Jul 07, 2006, 06:40 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Stole is such an ugly word...you aquired the designs by other methods, we just wont say what the methods are
Old Jul 07, 2006, 09:13 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
I just moved to within a few minutes of Point of the Mountain and the shop is almost done so.......

I'll either be building a "Jart Lake City" or this thing:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527662

In either case, it will have a built-up fuse like the Harley Michaelis' Genie TD planes http://genie.rchomepage.com/
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Jul 07, 2006, 12:26 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,370 Posts
That's a hoot Eric, makes me want to drive to Utah to see that thing
Endless Sloper is offline Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2006, 01:47 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,844 Posts
I'm feverishly working on a Patton Ta 152. I hope to also have finished or at least flyable, a BAe Hawk which I used to kit, an AMD Zero, a Falcon 880 and maybe a Songbird.

RTF are an NYX, a Fun One, a 5M ASW22, an AVA and some small electrics scale ships that'll fly on the slope...I hope. I'll also be bringing a tricked out PSS Hellcat that I didn't build or paint, too bad.

George Voss
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2006, 08:26 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Well if you would like to see Erik's Nimbus here is one of the photos I shot of it is on the south side of the Point of The Mountain on it's maiden flight earler this year here it is...Clarence