Old Jul 06, 2006, 12:50 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Discussion
Last couple of questions for my Tiger Moth Build

Quick question about my Pico Tiger Moth build. I'm nearing the end, but need some help.
When mounting the center...fuselage to wing struts...I am not clear about where they mount on the upper wing. I have looked at all the pictures posted from everyone here, as well as the manual, but none are clear about it. Do they mount, with the little tabs, on the inside or outside of the folded rib? Can't be into the rib because I used microballoons and epoxy to fill that as suggested in the threads here.
So, inside our outside of the "rib" that forms from folding the wing into place? BTW...I am using the allerc plywood strut kit.
Other than that, shes' about ready to go...and coming out great. What a beautiful kit...definitely my favorite GWS kit so far. I have all but a Beaver, Pizza, and Mr Lin.
Gotta get these struts done and rig up the flying wires!
Thanks,
Ken
CSI is online now Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2006, 03:27 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Ken,

I have allerc struts on mine and they are glued onto the longitudinal centrelines of the ribs, not inside, not outside. You may have to dig little holes to get the tabs in far enough that the longitudinal member is in contact with the rib (and epoxied to it).
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jul 06, 2006, 10:27 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Hey, thanks roger. Great, now I have extra work to do. I filled that rib thing full of baking soda/epoxy mix. Maybe my Dremel tool will help me here? I am loving this plane...it is just so elegant, fragile, pretty...I don't know, it's just cool. I don't think any of my other GWS builds ever took this long to complete. I think I am trying to make it too perfect, but at least I am having a good time doing it!
I have found a yellow Sharpie pen is definitely my friend in this build. It matches pretty well and covers all the edges, cuts, marks etc so I don't have little white marks everywhere. Should have her finished this weekend.
Thanks for the reply.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2006, 10:29 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Another question:
Has everyone here that used the stock IPS motor used the 9x7 prop? Is that the favorite prop? I have not ever had any planes that used IPS power, so I am unfamiliar with properly propping it. Any suggestions are greatly welcome.
Thanks,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:37 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
I used the 9070's and never had any reason to differ. Unless you're changing the gearing or motor I would stick with the 9070.
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Jul 07, 2006, 04:49 AM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
OK, that solves that...thanks for the info.
I did make my orange prop black though. It just didn't look right orange up there. Black looks great with the spinner and boack cowl.
Can't wait to get her up and flying.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2006, 09:55 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I will post a video of my Pico TM in a few minutes.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,371 Posts
CSI the picture of the battey cutout was this section modified by you!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:31 AM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Tallflyer,
I'm a bit afraid to answer about my battery compartment, but......yes.....
Now I'm afraid to ask why do you ask?
I fit my Common Sense 800mAh lipo right to that cutout and it fits perfectly flat. The area is quite strong and structured there. My gear also has the reinforced CF rods.
So, what's up?
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:56 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,371 Posts
CSI

The only reason I asked was that a couple years ago I did a post on the boards about changing the front end of the GWS ISP tigermoth to fith the new lipo battery packs!

I took out my dremel and made a slot in the front of my tigermoth and cut the cowl so the battery would fit perfect.

My design even used a velcro belt to keep the battery in place.

I sent it to GWS and mr Lin he said he loved that idea.

I thought maybe after all this time they got around to changing it!

(I put a 2 cell 1200 in mine and with setup you can get flight times of over 1 hour)

so your 800 should be good for atleast 45 minutes!

talk about thumb cramps!

I will post some pictures so you can see my design (just looking for them as I type this message)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:55 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Tallflyer,
Ok man, you had me going all night long. I spent hours on that front end working out every inch, making it strong, smooth, fit the lipo, etc. It took me quite a while to get it just right where I was happy with it. Just smoothing it out so it looked factory took forever. Then come your post! I thought maybe you were blasting me, making fun of how much I cut out, maybe telling me how I might have disrespected a sacred tiger moth by slicing it up or something?! It bugged me all night, I actually felt bad since this is my first TM and I have been trying to get a decent, scale job on it. I got tired of building zippy Formosa's and warbirds...I just wanted a very slow, long flying bird for my front yard. Something the neighbors will stand out and watch and not run for cover...or worry a lot about their cars
I feel better now! I have went through past TM threads, mods, etc as much as I could stand, but don't remember coming across what you mentioned. I copied a lot of stuff too, so I could have it in my stack of stuff?
I think your idea should be used as at least a addendum for the kits. Mr Lin should pay attention since it holds a lot of merit and definitely helps folks get a long flying model using new technology. Maybe resubmit it to him? Especially since he is now producing brushless stuff and lipo stuff? Maybe the time has come?
Good luck,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:28 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,371 Posts
I found the pictures!

Here is what I came up with (it will even hold a new 3 cell 600 lipo)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:28 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I got the idea for mounting my Lipo from Tallflyer after I read his original thread on how he did it, his was much neater than mine.

I wound up cutting the front all the way forward though to accomodate larger packs and put velcro on the bottom so I just stick them in. I like the nice neat job you did on the battery compartment though. I might do something similar on my new one and since I'm not painting it it will probably be easier.

I messed up the fuse on my new one, tried to paint it and it looked awful so I ordered a new one. I'll post some pictures and a video of the maiden when I get it finished.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,371 Posts
the trick to making a perfect battery area is to decide which battery you are going to use the most and build around that battery!

On my very first moth I designed the battery area around a 2 cell 1200 mah 7.4 volt lipo and was getting flights of up to 1 hour on a full pack!

Now that the new lipos are a little smaller and are made better and brushless IPS motors are coming down in price! even cdrom type motors I might go with a 3 cell 600 mah and give up time for high performance!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:54 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Tallflyer, drop a Little Screamer De Novo in it. I ran this motor on a Thunder Power 3S 730 and a 8043 prop. It practically ripped the wings off. The motor is light and best of all, no gear box........