SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by kansascloud, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:25 AM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Gallery
First blog entry

O.K. I'll try the Blog thing. Not sure I know how but like most things it is figure it out as you go??

I've been building and flying models since I was just a kid. Went through rubber powered tissue models, control line glow and finally settled into RC when I finally saved enough money to buy a used radio at the age of 16. It was like a dream come true! That was great fun until I was about 20 and then life suddenly occured and interupted things somewhat for a number of years. However, I have never completely ever given up on my RC persuits.

The biggest setback to my hobby came when I moved to the City from a small town. Suddenly there were flying clubs and official flying sites and RULES. I tried to fit in for awhile but it was never the same. I for the most part gave it up, then I moved to a new home that sits out in the country a little ways. I started to think about how much fun it might be to fly a small airplane from the golf course. (no one golfs much here anyway) In 2000 a 1/2 glow airplane was constructed and successfully flown from my backyard! What a kick! Something I had dreamed of since I was a kid.

The gas plane worked but it was a lot faster and a lot noiser and a lot more dangerous then I really liked. Then....on a trip to the hobby shop in 2001 I spotted a GWS Tiger Moth kit. I bought it and was ready to test fly a couple of days later. Actually the very first flight was at night. (just a short hop of a few feet down my street) I was SOLIDLY HOOKED at that point.

The rest is a sad tail of many many hours spent in the basement with my fingers generally stuck together by CA. The UPS man can now easily locate my home and the neighbors just expect to see a model high about my home.

My preferance towards airplanes always has been and continues to be toward simple, slower flying designs. I like flat bottom wings and 3 channels of control with rudder for steering generally. I've built and flown them all including some really hot, super high performance airplanes but I keep coming back to 3 channel designs. One reason for that might be that my flying area is very restricted with houses, tall trees, mail boxes, lakes, golfers and the occasional dog. It is a lot of fun climbing up over the trees and houses and then threading the airplane back down through this maze to a perfect landing on a beautifully mowed golf course green.

My favorite airplane today is my Mountain Models Magpie. It leaps into the air and climbs almost vertically from the green in the backyard to a position several hundred feet above the tall trees in just a few seconds. (it is BP-21 powered) Up there it can be seen flying through giant gorgeous loops or soaring on thermal. This airplane really matches my style of flying and can handle the Kansas winds with ease if need be.
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Last edited by kansascloud; Jul 06, 2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: adding text
to remove ads between posts