HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2006, 07:43 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
Question
ST Models Cessna 182

Has anyone purchased this plane from Hobby Lobby (or elsewhere else)? Any comments on the thing? It looks like a good price, and if the HL blurb is to be believed, it's suitable for a beginner.

Thanks,
Doug

link to the HL page:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna182.htm
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2006, 08:09 AM
Just call me .... Bill
Greenville/Anderson area of SC
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
Doug, It's a nice plane, I know someone who flies it and he's happy with it. BUT it is not a good first plane. It is styrofoam not epp so it will be more fragile. If you are looking for a nice 2nd plane, it can be that. If you intend to learn on it, there are better trainers.

Key word is trainer, not beginner. There is a difference. For a trainer, look at the Multiplex Easystar.
Solid Hit is offline Find More Posts by Solid Hit
Old Jul 06, 2006, 08:32 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
Thanks for the quick response - glad to hear it's decent, as I really do like the way it looks. I had, of course, considered getting it as my trainer, but I think I'm going to chicken out and get something easier. After all, I only flew my Kadet Mk II a few times, and that was a decade ago - I doubt I remember how to do it. At any rate, the Easy* is jumping up to the top of the list, even though I REALLY would prefer a 4 channel plane.

Doug
Old Jul 06, 2006, 03:41 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,385 Posts
elsyr

If you haven't got any r/c gear yet, you could always buy just the Easystar model, and buy a full four, (or more), channel outfit, so that you have a good set for the future, (all those models you're gonna buy, build etc etc).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 06, 2006, 06:07 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
I'm planning on a Spektrum DX6 relatively soon. As far as planes go, after looking around a bit more, I'm actually starting to think that the EasyStar may be too big for the local parks.

To tell the truth, I'm sort of leaning WAY in the other direction at the moment - towards a GWS Pico Tiger Moth. Not that this is necessarily indicative of anything, but that's the plane I've had the best luck with in FMS. Not very exciting, admittedly, but pretty darned simple.

The Cessna 182 is still high up on the list, but I think it's going to be plane #2.

Doug
Last edited by elsyr; Jul 06, 2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:58 AM
Shepparton, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
Hey Doug,

I'm brand new to this R/C thing and I went and bought myself a Cessna 182 (Skyartec) with 4 channels and brushless motor. Needless to say, I crashed hard even though I could fly it perfectly on the SIM. A few repairs later and a few more crashes (and more repairs!!) I think I have it sussed. I do think I went about it all the hard way but now I am absolutely thrilled with the Cessna...plenty of power and manouverability. And it's not too expensive to repair and spares are so easy to get.

I'll fly it a while longer and become more confident before I put my nitro plane in the air!!!
Cheers, Wodda
Wodda is offline Find More Posts by Wodda