SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2006, 07:38 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
Question
Sig Kadet MkII

Long long ago I built a Sig Kadet MkII with an old Futaba AM set (was old even when I got it used) and a K&B .40 as my primary trainer. A lot of things got in the way, and I only flew it a few times. I've gotten the R/C flight bug again, and am looking into an electric parkflyer style trainer to get started again. However, I couldn't help but take the old Kadet down from the attic the other day and look her over. Aside from some sag/wrinkling here and there in the monokote, she doesn't look too bad, and I'm wondering what she would need to be converted to electric power. Not as my first trainer - I'm going to get an ARF or RTF plane to bang up first - but for later on down the road.

Has anyone here done such a conversion on Kadet Mk II?

Thanks,
Doug
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2006, 08:05 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Okay, I found a web site that contains more detail information of this model..

http://www.larchlanehobbies.com/RC/A...kadet_mkii.htm

It seems to be very light and a super trainer.....assuming you are going to fly her like a trainer then, you can take advantage of inexpensive yet effective Brushed motors that are available on eBay!

Recommended Engines:
.25-.40 cu. in. 2-Stroke
Wingspan: 57-1/4 in.
Wing Area: 635 sq. in.
Weight: 5 lbs.
Length: 44-1/4 in.
Wing Loading: 18 oz./sq. ft.
Radio Required: 4-Channel

You can easily power her using the very reliable and very inexpensive Astro Flight 035 7-Turn #603 in the Super Box sporting 4.36:1 ratio and swinging a large 13 X 8 APC "Sport" or "E" Propeller providing more than 5 1/2 lbs. of thrust while using the 4S2P Li-POLYs!

Here's where you can get one Astro Flight 035 with super box....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Astro-Flight-Cob...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 06, 2006, 08:27 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Going with the letter of the law according to the maximum cell count, I would first try this Astro Flight 035 7-turn #603S motor with 8-Cells, GP-3700mAH, Ni-MH's and the same APC "Sport" or "E" 13 X 8 propeller.....

Yields a little over 3 lbs. of static thrust and good airspeed.

Edit: I would call ASTRO and ask what is the maximum AMP draw for this motor....I would think it is 27 AMPs
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 06, 2006, 08:34 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
Thanks!
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr