HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2006, 09:24 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
588 Posts
Discussion
Range and setup problems with Spektrum DX6 2.4gHz 6-ch Radio System

NOTE:
Written by a friend of mine, so info and exchange of information will have to be done through me to him and back!!

He writes....
I have a problem with the range and a setup problems with Spektrum DX6 2.4gHz 6-ch Radio System.

First off, I had it working but the range is not that good. I lost my plane many times and it did not look like it was that far at all. Is there an upgrade to this coming out anytime soon? The problem was due to the radio not responding to my commands. I figure it must be a range problem. Anyone else experience this?

Next problem I had was trying to setup my elevons. I have a delta wing (F27 Stryker) which was setup with my own internal stuff, via the DX6 servos etc.

The radio was setup and working properly. Next time I went to fly, the controls were backwards. The up elevons was now down. The servo left was now right. I tried reprogramming it but I could not get it to do what I had.

Setting it as a delta wing did not help. Servo reversing did not do anything. I thought that if I had the servos going backwards, then servo reversing should reverse that order. It did nothing.

HELP!
pkrska is offline Find More Posts by pkrska
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2006, 11:30 PM
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
292 Posts
Regarding his range problems, more information about your friend's plane and flights would be helpful. Since there is little, if any, reported experience of range problems with the DX6 system itself, your friend may want to revisit his particular setup and environment: both Tx and Rx battery charge levels, antenna orientation in the plane, covering material, ESC low voltage cutoff, pointing antenna at the airplane while flying, etc. All these topics have been addressed in this forum. Your friend says he lost his plane "many times". Was this during the same flight, or multiple flights? If he lost control and regained it several times during the same flight it could be a useful bit of information.

As for delta wing programming, many folks have trouble setting it up because with two servos involved, it can be confusing. Usually, though, trial and error will result in a proper configuration. If your friend's setup worked at first, and since we know that the DX6 did not re-program itself, a likely cause is selection of the wrong model number. This is easier to do that you might think. Also, unplugging the elevon servos during testing and then plugging them back in can inadvertently switch channels, which can switch left/right behavior.

Hope this helps,

--Van
van-c is offline Find More Posts by van-c
Old Jul 06, 2006, 09:59 AM
Private Pilot/K5MBV/SCUBA
Garland, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrska
NOTE:
Written by a friend of mine, so info and exchange of information will have to be done through me to him and back!!

He writes....
I have a problem with the range and a setup problems with Spektrum DX6 2.4gHz 6-ch Radio System.

First off, I had it working but the range is not that good. I lost my plane many times and it did not look like it was that far at all. Is there an upgrade to this coming out anytime soon? The problem was due to the radio not responding to my commands. I figure it must be a range problem. Anyone else experience this?

Next problem I had was trying to setup my elevons. I have a delta wing (F27 Stryker) which was setup with my own internal stuff, via the DX6 servos etc.

The radio was setup and working properly. Next time I went to fly, the controls were backwards. The up elevons was now down. The servo left was now right. I tried reprogramming it but I could not get it to do what I had.

Setting it as a delta wing did not help. Servo reversing did not do anything. I thought that if I had the servos going backwards, then servo reversing should reverse that order. It did nothing.

HELP!
Helping someone understand what he is doing incorrectly is difficult enough
since all of us like to think it must be the fault of the equipment rather than
our own. Doing it through a third party is nearly impossible. He can call the
repair dept. at Horizon to get some information about how to set up and use the radio.

I haven't heard of anyone having a range problem with the DX6. If you can see the model it's in range, unless the antennas are surrounded by a metallic
or RF absorbtion material.

Your friend needs to get on the net and read the posts in this thread himself.
If he doesn't have his own internet connection, he can go to a public library to connect in order to read and post.

Ken
Nicetie is offline Find More Posts by Nicetie
Old Jul 06, 2006, 09:55 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
588 Posts
More info,

my friend is flying an F27 Stryker B model, that is body only. All electronics are replaced. 3 cell lipo, thunderpower 2100 mAh. He uses the DX6 servos and receiver in the F27. He used the stock 480 motor.. not sure about the ESC

When he lost his plane, I ment... from the air. I saw it with my own eyes and it did not look that far... less than 500 feet. But then again, I am no judge on distance. But my plane did 10 times the distance and I use the same plane, and a Hitec Focus 4 FM radio. I saw his plane go forward turn a few times nicely and then suddenly, it looked like it did a nose dive straight into the ground. I also witnessed him struggling with the controls and it did nothing to change the direction the plane was headed... straight down.

What I am trying to get is someone with the same problem that found a solution.

The problem with the servo reversing is still a problem. Why does this do nothing? Perhaps it has something to do with the delta setup? It should at least reverse the servos into the opposite direction. We tried resetting the DX6 and reprogramming it. What seems to be a difficult thing to do is to get the elevons working in the right direction. Either the up and down work properly and the left and right direction is reversed. Or the left and right direction seems to be correct and the up and down direction is reversed. Hmmm.... that sucks.

I have a F27 Styker in which I purchased a V-Tail mixer from GWS. IF it is backwards, then it is a simple solution of re-connecting the wires correctly. It works great. My friend opted for making his radio do it since it advertises that it can. Can't blame the guy for trying to get it to work. Trial and error seems to take a lot of time. He commented to me that "...this hobby was getting too expensive and he ain't having no fun"

I have to agree that when things don't go as expected, it does seems a little too expensive to not work as advertised.

Not everyone out there is interested in using a computer or know how to. That is what I am here for.... helping out. I don't see a reason for him to do it since there is a time delay between responces anyway and I can get any info from and to him as neccessary.

Thanks for some of your replies. I hope someone has a similar situation and has a solution. It would be ashame to lose another protential RC'er due to poor product support. It's not like I got a proper responce from Horizon Hobby eh!
Old Jul 07, 2006, 12:39 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1 Posts
dx6 problem setting up my servos for my wing

I just got this radio and I can not get it to programed right for my combat wing.

Problem sounds just like you friend's problem.

Must be something I'm missing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
dan
dtharp is offline Find More Posts by dtharp
Old Jul 07, 2006, 02:02 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Lots of people report problems with the airplane mixing. Not having used it, I'm not sure what the exact issue is, but remember that the DX6 has separate trim settings in all the different flight modes, so different switch settings (flaps, gear, etc) will be trimmed differently; if you accidentally hit one of those and don't have the trim right in the new setting, strange things may happen. They sure do with helis!

Also, the DX6 is quite sensitive to ESC hash on the power wires, and to static electricity. So, put a ferrite on the BEC/signal lead to the ESC (as many turns as you can get through it... 3 is good). For static, in a foam plane, spray the area around the receiver and servos with silicone oil, cover the foam, or paint it. Helis with carbon tail booms and/or frames are also subject to static issues; grounding things and silicone oil help there too.

Keep the antennas away from carbon, metallic paint, and metal, and keep them away from each other.

The receiver uses quite a bit of power, so a marginal BEC will be a problem.

Hope all that helps
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Jul 07, 2006, 02:02 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Oh, insulate the ends of the antennas, too, if it's a staticy airframe.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:45 AM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hmm.... You know, this might sound really silly, but then again I have been wondering about it for a while....

The DX6 is supposed to have a range check button right? Is there any possibility that the airplane could have been launched without re-switching the range-check button from range-check mode back to the normal mode of operation? I was just wondering.... I have never seen the DX6 in person but after hearing about the fact that you must press a button in order to range check the airplane, it had a me thinking about whether or not it might be possible to forget to switch the radio back to normal mode of operation after rangine checking the airplane....

Anyway, I hope your problems get resolved shortly and that your friend has a good time flying hiw Stryker afte the bugs on the Radio get worked out!

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Jul 12, 2006, 06:29 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
The range check button is momentary contact, so you can't forget it. It is of course possible to have a bad switch.

I've now had a chance to set up a plane with spoilerons and the DX6, and the servo reversing is confusing. The servo reverse operates AFTER the mixer. So, say your left servo is in the channel labelled 'AIL' and the right is in the one labelled 'AUX', as mine are. Then if you want to reverse the left servo, reverse the 'AIL' channel. But if you want to reverse the aileron direction, you have to reverse BOTH 'AIL' and 'AUX', and then reverse the sign on the spoileron switch as well (i.e., if you had it on 0% and 20%, you now need -20% and 0% to get the same effect).

I presume the same sort of thing applies to V-Tail mixing as well.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:17 AM
Denver, CO.
Joined Feb 2006
141 Posts
We have several Strykers at our field on Spektrum.

Set the wing type to Delta, then reverse the servo leads in the rcvr.
The radio settings may have to go back to the defaults.
TomLee is offline Find More Posts by TomLee
Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:34 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Andrew,

Thanks for letting me know about that, I appreciate it!

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:09 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
Plug the right alieron into the aileron channel, the left into channel 6 and when you set up for a delta, the servos should operate correctly. Programming is mostly the same as a JR, so this should work.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:00 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
588 Posts
My friend tried your suggestions, and GBR2, the channel 6 is not working.. but we did do the following. We reset everything including turning off the Aileron Mixing and Delta and started from scratch as someone suggested I think...!

We plugged in the servos again and then turned on the radio into Setup mode.. and reprogrammed it for Delta as suggested in the book. Now, we got some mixed results at first... but then all of a sudden it work out correctly. I asked what did we do different and we could not remember what we did that caused it to work all of a sudden correctly. Mystery.. Now we shall see about the range issues next.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:13 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
He's flying a delta far away.
His "range problems" are due to disorientation.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:40 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Ahhh hah. I see that some have stated that they have the right wing's servo connected to the aux (ch 6) and the left to aileron(ch2).
This incorrect, you must have the right wing to ch.2(ail.) and the left wing to ch.6(aux). But this is for flaperons, on a delta wing setup you will connect the left wings servo to ch.3(elevator), not ch.6(aux)

If these are connected wrong you will never get it to work correctly, both in the mixing and reversing.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk