HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2006, 02:07 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
Discussion
Shrink wrap a fuse repair (or how do you get a smooth finish without sanding?)

Most of my fuse repairs come out fine... However I would like to know how to bag or shrink wrap a fuse repair.

I have tried shrink wrap (can't find any big enough to go around the fuse)
I have tried saran wrap. (difficult to keep the wrinkles out and difficult to work with)
I have tried plastic sheeting (easy to work with but won't stretch or shrink).

The gotcha is that all of these methods leave a fairly smooth finish in spots, in the other portions there are wrinkles which require a LOT of sanding to remove. Any thoughts?

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2006, 07:08 PM
Riding the crest of a high and
Joined Jan 2003
6,806 Posts
I've used polypropelene drop cloths from the hardware store. If you tape the cloth to two 1" x 1" strips of wood you can achieve some smooth results. The epoxy kicking off can get hot enough to start to soften the plastic though. A friend of mine has done some small wings and repairs this way and the results are really nice.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2006, 08:10 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
You can cut polyethylene film (such as from a dropcloth) into a long strip that you can spiral wrap around the repair, stretching as you go. You can also get non adhesive tapes for this purpose. You can even do this with the tape from an old VHS cassette. Several types of plastic will shrink a bit with heat, so you can get a little extra pressure on the repair.

Don't try to bag it unless you want to apply the bag only to the local area of the repair. Bag the whole fuselage and you will crush it.
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jul 05, 2006, 10:25 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
Good stuff.

David won't the wraps leave a spiral on the outside of the fuse? I want the repair to be undetectable... Well as undetectable as possible...

Jay
Old Jul 05, 2006, 10:41 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Well, you're presumably going to be painting over the repair, right? So, to get good adhesion you're going to need to sand the area lightly anyway.

Done correctly, the spiral wrapping will leave only very small resin ridges that will easily be taken care of with a few swipes of 220 paper. The thinner the plastic film, the smaller the ridges.

I guess I'm not clear on the specifics of the repair and what your expectations are. Generally you'll have the best-looking result if you put the structural reinforcement (patch) on the inside and then use light glass on the outside to hold the outside together. This light glass will require less sanding and less filling to fair it in with the surrounding fuselage contour.

Just take your time with it. If you rush through it, it will usually show in the result.
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jul 05, 2006, 10:48 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
I have tried several attempts at this and maybe wrapping is the way. Very large strips should keep the the 'line to a minimum. Actually David, the wrap is the bestway to do it. I get the pressure, and the sand job would be easy...

I was thinking of 3 oz cloth on the outside which would provide strength to the repair, as I can't always reach inside of the fuse...

Jay
Old Jul 06, 2006, 09:31 AM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,144 Posts
I remembered a thread by Hydrogin about how he repaired his Pica sloper

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=hydrogin

Its not bagged but he wrapped the fuse and it came out very nice.

TIM
A6INTRUDER is online now Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER