HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2002, 11:07 PM
Dublin
Joined Jun 2002
83 Posts
Spooky - Brushless Shaft Slipped

I had a strange thing happen the other day. I was flying my eco 8 and noticed I was loosing power and it was jumping around a bit. I landed and inspected my motor (Aveox 1010/2y). The motor shaft was protruding 1/4 inch beyond the housing and the pinion was grinding on the chassis. I'v since sent the motor back to the nice folks at aveox for inspection. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this motor badly suited to the eco? At the time I purchased the eco it was the motor recommended on the aveox web page. The motor was not hot and was running only on 8 cells in a gentle hover. It seems strange that there would be any vertical force on the motor shaft. Any comments?
Andrew Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Hayes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2002, 12:49 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Never heard of that before. The 1010 series are nice little motors.

Sounds like a fluke.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:01 AM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
Yes. This was not uncommon on older 1010 or 1015 Aveox's. Newer ones have the magnets glued differently, but the KV goes down. When you get it back, it'll be better than new, but you may need to use a bigger pinion.

-Ben
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:24 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I had it happen on a 1010 that I was flying a glider with. The shaft just started pulling out. I didn't know if they were glued in or just press fit but I sent it to Aveox and they fixed it. Hasn't happened again and I have it in a Corona now.
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:46 AM
Arlington, TX, USA
Joined Jun 2001
455 Posts
I had this happen to a 1015/2y. It worked fine as a direct drive unit on 8 - 10 cells. When I added the 4.4:1 gearbox and used a 16 cell pack, the problem started. Five minutes into the first flight the shaft slipped. As a result it destroyed my Dragon controller.

Sent the unit in for repair. Got it back, installed it in the plane, and powered up. Five minutes into the first flight the shaft slipped AGAIN! And again destoryed my new Dragon 55!

Sent the unit in. They ended up replacing it with a geared 1406/3y unit. It seems the 1015/2y could not handle the load.

Anyway, the 1406/3Y continues to perform without a problem.
asperkins is offline Find More Posts by asperkins
Old Aug 05, 2002, 05:14 PM
Dublin
Joined Jun 2002
83 Posts
Just a folow up note.

I sent the motor to aveox and they fixed it free of charge even though it is no longer covered by warranty. I'm very impressed

Andrew
Andrew Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Hayes