HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2006, 10:13 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
Discussion
Zwarte Zee building tips please

Hiya everyone. I am new here to the MB and also new to this type of kit. I am building a Billings Boats Zwarte Zee (NR. 592) Ocean tug kit and have little to no idea about a few things. Well maybe not no idea but I was hoping for advise to see if what I am thinking will work out OK.

First: mounting an electric motor. I am using a "stock" 27 turn electric motor. It is a 540 type but alot stronger than a normal 540. Should I use a gear reduction or will direct drive work ok. How should I mount the motor and is there any mounting hardware available or do I need to fabricate something?

Second: rudder, I have it currently mounted as the instructions say but I see that there is no ability to do any maintanence on it in the future. Can this system be changed with out making excessive modifications to the ship? I was thinking about cutting the little "tang" that extends past the prop guard that the instructions want you to drill a hole in and screwing a brass plate there with provisions for the lower part of the rudder. Remove a couple of screws and the rudder will drop out for cleaning and oiling. How does that sound?

Electronics mounting: I see that there is not alot of room after the decks are in place. Does anyone here have any ideas of how to place this stuff in the hull and still allow access to the radio equipment? I am going to be using a Novak reciever and a standard size servo, Proboat waterproof ESC, and one stick type 7.2 V battery. I do plan to change out the Tamyia plugs for a set of deans type plugs.

Ballast. any idea on how much I will need given the above info.

I have just about finished building the first step in the book. The bulkheads are in place, Keel is glued in and upper braces as well. I noticed that the plastic hull itself is a little twisted which is making it a little difficult to get the frames in straght and having everything line up. Is this normal for this type of kit? I have not been able to get the twist out of the hull but I have made it better and it looks like if I am careful I can get a little more out when I mount the decks. Like I said before this is my first of this type of kit. Other boats I have built have not had any wood parts and have come with all hardware to mount servos and motors (tho I have had to make parts before as well). I have mounted the prop guard and rudder, My next step is putting the aft and fowward decks in place, but I should have my machinery in place first so I am kinda stopping here for now. What should I also use to seal the decking from moisture, I know that the wood needs to be protected.

I know that I have alot of questions about this and I greatly appreciate any help I can get for my ship.

Thank you in advance

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2006, 10:15 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
oh one more thing I forgot. Does anyone know of any websites that can assist me in the building of this or a similar kit?

thanks again
Massey
Old Jul 02, 2006, 10:53 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
THIS IS THE BEST SITE FOR INSTRUCTION,
you'll find that most all the boat builders here are extremely good at what thy do. If one does not have all the answers, some one else will chime in with another.

On your rudder yes you can do a mod. I did so with my Envoy tug. just be sure you don't change your angle. make it the same as the print.

Very importent to read the instructions more than once, some time the instructions tell you to do things before they should be.
In my case the instructions said to glue down the decks at the front of thr project, there would have been no way to get any of the electronics in, so be carefule, and have a great time building your new tug.

P.S. Welcome to the forum, start a build thread, and remember lots of pictures, we like lots of pics.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Feb 03, 2010, 03:30 PM
Clackamas Oregon
Joined Feb 2010
8 Posts
how did the build come out

Hello
I am building that boat now , I see your first post was awile ago and would like to know how the boat came out ? any pics ?
I am having the problem of maching the deck up with the white abs hull in the front , my kit even thought I got it in 2009 from the local hobby shop is from the 1980s so I have to cut all the wood out , its not lazer cut just inked on the plywood so its been taking a few more months to so then usual.
so any info on the build would be nice .
Thank you for your time
Ron
lastcowboy39 is offline Find More Posts by lastcowboy39
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:49 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
OK I am about 3/4 of the way finished with this boat and so far no major problems. My kit was about 1/2 laser cut 1/2 cut myself. My decks fit OK not great I did have to modify my main working deck and the foc'sl a little. I glued the foc'sl to the top of the bow instead of insetting it into the hull. So far this boat has been a pretty good build. I have sea tested mine once, results were OK the hull needs the lateral fins to keep it steady it rocked really bad even without the top parts of the cabin and masts installed. I have a low COG with my batts and everything low in the hull but it rocked really bad. I didnt use the stock prop I used one that was 4 blade. I also modified the plastic parts of the keel so I could remove the rudder and prop at a later date for maintainence. Check out my build thread for some of the things I have done to mine. Also the latest pics of the boat are posted there. Feel free to ask any question you may need

Massey