HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2002, 12:46 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
I let you guys down, but my heart is still beating fast

Hello gang,

I let you guys down . I flew the SB early this morning.

Setup:

8 cell / 600ae (long).
GB - Stock.
Motor Simprop 280BB.

First flight.

Hand launch, the SB was eager to fly, powered it up. WOW!!! leaped out of my hands, major loopssssssssssssssss Fast, dang !!!!! it's fast. I was having a blast. I was the only one at the field today, I was having fun, and very loud, as I was having fun flying the Switchback, people jogging and walking on the trails, I think, they were thinking that I'm a crazy NUT

CRASHED

I couldn't maneuver the SB quick enough, to where the aileron, makes a left or right turn, I blame it to flying tail control, only airplanes. I forgot that one stick was for ailerons

Broke the Rudder. No biggie, I got tape Do you have Tape? Can't stop me. Heck no. Taped the broken (Switchback that won't quit) together and was flying again.

Okay, I remembered the aileron's. Left and right. The Switchback, after hand launch turned to it's right. Aileron control. HEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY..... Stop. it was so fast that, as I turned it to the direction, that I wanted it to go, it was going down, though in a level pattern, touch the ground, flew back up. Leveled, flew up and up. FENCE

The nose went through the wire fence, the Swicthback was stock straight broke the front, opinion gear lost.

My heart is still beating so fast, was that fun or what? Newbie, yes

-----Give me cup'a days, put her back up, and this time. All hells gonna break loose, for I love this plane----------

G.
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2002, 12:59 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Hello guys,

Where Can I buy a GB for the SB?
Old Jul 28, 2002, 02:45 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Oh no Geno! Not again! At least you're getting to be an expert at fixing her up. And yes, it does sound like we are having fun now!

Sorry to hear about your further troubles. Hope you get flying again soon.

Forgive the dumb question, but are you controlling it with the ailerons (and elevator) on the right stick and the rudder on the left? From your description it almost sounds like you have it the other way 'round.

And just a reminder, the SB flys slow very well too. Don't forget to slow down a little bit. Fast is fun but can be tough until you get used to it.

For a gearbox check out www.aeromicro.com

Keep it up dude,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 28, 2002, 05:20 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,490 Posts
"Opinion gear" Is that one that makes the whiney sound?

Sorry, I'm just bored, it's Sunday afternoon and too windy to fly and too hot for anything else.

Hope you get the SB back in the air soon.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jul 28, 2002, 05:37 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
***Sorry, I'm just bored, it's Sunday afternoon and too windy to fly and too hot for anything else. **

LOL!!! Bored? Break one of the plane and fix 'em up again (just a thought )

Hehehehehehe, it still is funny to me, How I flew the SB. WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE
Old Jul 28, 2002, 05:40 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
It flew, then the collision with the fence
Old Jul 28, 2002, 05:50 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
***Oh no Geno! Not again! At least you're getting to be an expert at fixing her up. And yes, it does sound like we are having fun now! ***

BC,

I'm having such a good day. I'm worried about crash today, cause the crash, like all my crashes, has taught me how to walk away and yet, feel good about it (lie )

I am an expert in fixing. I fix for months, but when I get to fly the airplanes, that I used to crash. The credit card is back in motion, looking for another plane....

***Forgive the dumb question, but are you controlling it with the ailerons (and elevator) on the right stick and the rudder on the left? From your description it almost sounds like you have it the other way 'round. ***

No, I'm not controlling it with Elev. and Aileron's. Now this is dumb. Should I be? I got the elev. stick on the right, and the ail's. on the left.

Remember, that this is my first aileron plane, BC...

***And just a reminder, the SB flys slow very well too. Don't forget to slow down a little bit. Fast is fun but can be tough until you get used to it. ***

I remember you, telling me this before. Man, I won't forget it this time. Thanks for the link, and for you advice

Thanks...
G.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 06:38 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Geno-

Sorry about the mishap.

Your controls are set up wrong. You should have the elevator and ailerons on the right stick, the rudder on the left. You really don't need to worry about the rudder until you get used to flying the plane. The rudder mainly gives you ground control (steerable tail wheel) and knife-edged capabilities when you're ready for them. If you set ailos up on the right stick, you should be able to fly like you're used to except you're controlling ailos instead of rudder.

Of course flying an ailo plane requires a different touch. It goes where you point it. You don't hold the stick in to keep it turning, you tilt it in, let go of the stick and it keeps turning on it's own. You have to give the stick a little opposite steer to get it out of the turn. It take some getting used to when you've been flying rudder/elevator planes.

Next flight try flying straight and level until you build up some altitude, then play around with basic turns until you get the hang of it. Whatever you do, don't try sharp turns at low altitude!

Find a BIG field for your next flights. If you have to drive 45 minutes or more, it will be well worth it. You need a place with no trees, no people, no power lines, etc. Then once you can fly it well, you can fly in smaller areas.

Good luck!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 28, 2002, 07:00 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
**Your controls are set up wrong. You should have the elevator and ailerons on the right stick, the rudder on the left. You really don't need to worry about the rudder until you get used to flying the plane. **

I'm a nuckle head Rogerdoger instructed me to do this. Tres, thanks. <------- I'm that guy right now. LOL

**Find a BIG field for your next flights. If you have to drive 45 minutes or more, it will be well worth it. You need a place with no trees, no people, no power lines, etc. Then once you can fly it well, you can fly in smaller areas. **

I have a big field, and I will be traviling 4hours away from home, to fly with a friend

--- I value your advice Tres. I'm almost done covering. NO MORE SPIRIT OF THE WIND (crap) and Dragon's are bad luck. I should know that , Well good luck in certain application in Feng Shui.

Thanks.
Geno.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 08:29 PM
Green Member
NJ
Joined Mar 2002
788 Posts
Gen,

put those ailerons on the right stick. The SB was my first aileron plane as well. Once you put them on the right stick it's pretty much like a rudd,elev, plane. I rarely use my rudder.

Quote:
NO MORE SPIRIT OF THE WIND (crap) and Dragon's are bad luck.
Instead of a Dragon put a Gargoyle on it...They're protectors!

Joe
FX1SUB is offline Find More Posts by FX1SUB
Old Jul 28, 2002, 09:50 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
**put those ailerons on the right stick. The SB was my first aileron plane as well. Once you put them on the right stick it's pretty much like a rudd,elev, plane. I rarely use my rudder. **

FX1SUB,

Man...LOL I'll put her up again THIS time with the correct stick functions

Instead of a Dragon put a Gargoyle on it...They're protectors!

Pugo Dogs
Old Jul 28, 2002, 09:57 PM
Leaf River IL.
Joined Sep 2001
131 Posts
This is what a hobby is all about........FUN!! I just got my SB kit the other day and I'm chomping at the bit to build it. But I'm forcing myself to finish up some other projects before I put another iron in the fire.
bztguy is offline Find More Posts by bztguy
Old Jul 28, 2002, 09:58 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I'm a nuckle head==

Not at all m'man. You're learning. Big difference

==I have a big field, and I will be traviling 4hours away from home, to fly with a friend ==

Good deal! Remember to let it climb this time, get up nice and high before you try the turns. Start out with easy turns until you get used to how it flies, then crank it up little by little.

==NO MORE SPIRIT OF THE WIND==

LOL! You'll have plenty of time to add decorations after you get used to flying it! Hang in there, once you get used to it you'll wonder why you only flew rudder/elev for so long!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:17 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Geno, and don't forget to slow down.

Once you get the Switchback flying right you won't need another plane. I'm positive you'll like it a LOT better now.

Best of luck with the rebirth.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 28, 2002, 11:33 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
**I just got my SB kit the other day and I'm chomping at the bit to build it. But I'm forcing myself to finish up some other projects before I put another iron in the fire.**

bztguy,

Finish it up man

***Good deal! Remember to let it climb this time, get up nice and high before you try the turns. Start out with easy turns until you get used to how it flies, then crank it up little by little. ***

I'm gonna take her slow next time, and after that, let her rock again. I can't stop talking about my experience today. I have told it to everyone. I went to the SF Giants and LA Dodgers game today, and the topic was my flight of the Switchback.

**I'm positive you'll like it a LOT better now. **

BC,

I know this plane was fun, but thought nothing of it, I thought, it wasn't all that.... Alooooha!!! Amazing..

G.**Once you get the Switchback flying right you won't need another plane. **

I'm building a DAW Extra 300, with Sal C's help, and for sure Doug is going to here from me, I need another one.... ( I sound like a fiend)

Tres, BC.

This is what I put down in my check list.

MUST REMEMBER.

1) Ailos/Elev. Right stick.
2) Must slow down speed (Heart beat as well, to avoid high blood pressure)
3) Remember to go to the bathroom, cause this plane is not your ordinary plane
4) Must bring camera Man (So he can join my loud, foul mouthed fun in a good way (jk ))

I shall return.... I hate this thing called sleep and work

G.