SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2006, 10:29 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
806 Posts
Build Log
A-10 Warthog FanFold Project

I bought the George Miller 1/9th scale plans about four years ago with every intentions of building a ducted fan version of this model. I purchased some of the items here and there on ebay, but after awhile I came to the conclusion that I would never complete the project due to time or cost. Iíve been watching two threads on rcuniverse that are building this model, and I envy their patience and willingness to complete this beautiful looking model. Paul Marsh, is the creator of one of these thread, and he even has a web page on his progress. Heís getting very close to being done with the construction and has done a beautiful job. The link to his web page and rcuniverse build thread links are below if you want to preview his work so far (hope you donít mind Paul).

Well, Iíve recently gotten really into these new electric fan fold jets. Iíve built a 100% size F-15 from Steve Shumate, which is very fun to fly, and Iím currently building a 166% version of Steveís F-18. I find myself waiting for things to dry on the F-18 so Iíve decided I may never fly the gas ducted version of the George Miller A-10, so why not a fan fold version instead.

So this is going to be my first attempt at a build thread and my first attempt at a plan bash from gas ducted fan to Fan Fold electric. I would really like to put two EDFís on the first one I build, but incase I mess up somewhere, I think a pusher will be my first attempt and maybe a EDF version if it flies well. Iím going to follow the plans as closely as possible and add or cut out things I think will add to much weight or need beefed up for foam purposes. If you have any constructive comments or ideas, Iím completely open to suggestions. I hope you enjoy and learn on either what to do or NOT what to do from my thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2703961

http://a10.home.mchsi.com/mya10project.html

So lets get startedÖÖI think Iíll start with wing first. Iíve been cutting out the ribs for the past couple days and the wing pieces from blue fan fold.

Thanks,
Mark
moxjett is online now Find More Posts by moxjett
Last edited by moxjett; Aug 13, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2006, 11:23 PM
Joined Jun 2006
2 Posts
Hi Mark,

I check the "came from" stats on my web site periodically and they led me back to your post on RC Groups. First of all, thanks for checking in on my project, and no problem posting the link. I have received a number of e-mails from people building EDF versions of this plane. I wish you the best with your own project.

Thanks,
Paul Marsh
pdmarsh is offline Find More Posts by pdmarsh
Old Jul 02, 2006, 12:38 AM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Whoa! Sweet! I don't think anyone has done an A-10 build from plans around here, at least recently... I guess I remember one sometime back, but it may have been EDF...

Anyway, I checked out Paul's construction page. WOW! This thing is totally amazing! So are you going to build the jet the same size as Paul's, only with foam instead of balsa? Or have the plans been scaled down a lot? Man this is going to be sweet. What an amazingly scale job George did with these plans! The jet looks amazing.

I am pretty interested in a set of those plans myself, are they still avaiable anymore? I think it would be fun to build a smaller, parkflyer sized one, maybe about 40-45 inches long or so, and set it up as a pusher. I've had the GWS A-10 and I've thought about doing another one...... It's a very nice model, but unfortunately the foam they make the model out of is of pretty low quality compared to Depron, or Blucore. In fact I just read a post by someone in the GWS A-10 forum who set their model up with a pretty powerful outrunner with a pusher-prop in the back. He said the other day when he was flying it he pulled one too many G's and the thing just disinegrated in the air! Yikes! I know they can be glassed, but still it might be even more fun just to build another one out of stronger material with George's plans!

Thanks for the help and for taking the time to do a build thread, I know at least a few other people who will be checking out this thread ALL the time! (Hey Paul, where are you? ) Haha, anyway, we'll be looking forward to the progress! Have fun!

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Jul 02, 2006, 01:17 AM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
806 Posts
Plans

Hi Matt,

Thanks for visiting my thread. I'm building my FF A-10 the same size as Paul's, and trying for a AUW of around 55 to 64 ozs. I have a Hacker A30-12XL or A30-10XL to put in the backend.

To answer your question on plans being available, the answer is yes. They can be bought at the link below.

http://www.scalercmodels.com/rcplans.html#2

Thanks,
Mark
Old Jul 02, 2006, 08:33 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
806 Posts
Center Wing Section

Well I started putting ribs in the center section of the wing. Iím using a carbon arrow shaft for a spar. I can already tell that using the original camber shaped ribs is going to present a problem when wrapping the wing around the ribs. Iím going to stick to the camber shaped, but I think if I ever build another wing Iíll use a flat bottom rib.
Old Jul 02, 2006, 09:49 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Moxjett...cool project! That wing might go a bit easier with some 3mm depron.
I'll be following this thread...I love A-10's.

Cool to see another 'Hog going together!

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Jul 02, 2006, 10:39 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
806 Posts
Ribs

Thanks Paul, yeah, I will probably agree about the 3mm before I complete the wing.

Well I got all the ribs glued to the spar. Tomorrow I'll conform the wng to the ribs and glue them in place.
Old Jul 02, 2006, 10:49 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
With as much work as you've got into it...I'd agree with sticking with the FFF!

Much luck to you on the conversion of those plans! I've been wanting a monster sized A-10 of my own...when I get my table cleared from everything Im working on now, and everything I have planned...I may have to get a copy of these plans and convert them myself!

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Jul 03, 2006, 12:07 AM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Looks good!

-Matt
Old Jul 03, 2006, 02:10 AM
Joined May 2006
254 Posts
90mm or 120mm fan???
flyingwombat is offline Find More Posts by flyingwombat
Old Jul 04, 2006, 01:00 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
806 Posts
Ribs

I got the wing skin to conform to the bottom of the ribs. I placed a 1/2" X 1" piece of balsa on the bottom and weighed down the top. So the bottom is glued to the ribs, but Iím going to hold off on gluing the top until I get the servo lead tubes installed and the wing tips attached. I really donít want to add any unnecessary weight by adding rib webs. I think the carbon fiber tube is enough, but Iíll have to think about it.

Next I'll start the wing tips.
Old Jul 04, 2006, 01:25 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmarsh
Hi Mark,

I check the "came from" stats on my web site periodically and they led me back to your post on RC Groups. First of all, thanks for checking in on my project, and no problem posting the link. I have received a number of e-mails from people building EDF versions of this plane. I wish you the best with your own project.

Thanks,
Paul Marsh
Paul, that is one of the most detailed RC planes I have ever seen. Unreal, very nice job!
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Jul 04, 2006, 03:22 PM
Joined Jun 2006
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyeflight89
Paul, that is one of the most detailed RC planes I have ever seen. Unreal, very nice job!
Hi Tommy,

Thanks. It looks like Mark is off to a very good start as well.

Paul Marsh
pdmarsh is offline Find More Posts by pdmarsh
Last edited by pdmarsh; Jul 04, 2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2006, 05:34 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Nice!

-Matt
Old Jul 05, 2006, 11:11 AM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat
90mm or 120mm fan???
Hi flyingwombat,

I'd like to put two 90mm EDF's in this, but I think the main reason I'm holding off is that I've never done a dual motor setup before little lone a dual EDF setup. I'm not sure how to wire the ESC and battery setup for two EDF's.

If anyone knows a good thread that shows an example of a two EDF setup, It would be a great help, before I start building the fuselage.

Mark