HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:01 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Discussion
Hi power EZ... Latest addition to my AP Ship.

Well just been out to try out my newly motored EZ.

Went out at lunchtime in Woking, with my EZ with the new BRC Hobbies 220W combo on board.

http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop...ditem&item=307

You get the motor and ESC (25A const - 35A burst) for a rather bargain price of 37.99 GBP.

So... went out to our local field and first of all put a Watt meter on it... readings?

238W 22.5 Amps (motor is turning a 8x4 APC 'E' prop as suggested by BRC).

This seemed a rather nice figure, so nothing left to do but try it.

I had onboard, a 6000MAH 3S Lipo that compensates for the weight of my camera with my normal 2200 MAH 3S Lipo...

My mate hand launched for me (motor off) and I fired it up... Now... no lie here... the EZ climbed out at around a 70 degree angle and just kept going... I was up to height on my initial launch trajectory (no turns required) before settling into a nice circuit (motor off)... I let it glide down a little and then decided to try some powered low passes...

These were... well... FAST... which I guess is not so good for AP, but great for just a bit of fun with the plane with no camera on board.

I tried a couple more steep climbs... before announcing the combo a success and landing...

Then it occurred to me... bear in mind that the EZ is as heavy now as it would be with the camera on... I placed it on the ground... into the very light wind, on it's belly (no undercarriage) and opened it up... it started to slide... straightened it up... pulled a little elevator and... away it went... ROG... NICE!!!

I have to say that this combo is WELL over powered for the EZ, but for AP use (getting to height quickly) and pure fun value (being a hooligan), I'm not sure you could beat it at the price.

One thing to consider though... I was pulling some power on turns (tight ones) and my wings showed a marked flex... and before you say "that's to be expected" I need to tell you that my wings have "T" shaped carbon embedded in them, all along their length, for strength... if I hadn't have had additional strengthening I have no doubt that the wing wouldn't have handled the extra power... so be warned... buy the combo.. strengthen your wings!!!

Pictures of the motor in situ to follow and maybe a ground based video.

Cheers,

Terry.
chargenut is offline Find More Posts by chargenut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:23 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Nice one Terry. These EZ's come into a different league once you strap some horse power to em.
Looking forward to the vid

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
899 Posts
Terry, you really are a heathen aren't you?

You should be able to mange axial rolls with that motor by just opening the throttle wide and the torque should pull it round .

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:35 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Richard,

Your torque comment is funny, but I have to say that I did notice a quite severe wiggle in the tail on full power... I have kind of put it down to the airflow over the rudder causing any slop there to start an oscillation. Will need to keep an eye on the tail feathers I think...

Anyway... hope to get some video soon...

Cheers all,

Terry.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:30 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Yes!

More power!

I'll be looking forward to seeing some aerial video with this hot rod.

Dave

(and I thought us Americans were power hungry! )
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jun 30, 2006, 01:11 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Are you sure your not an American?
When in doubt, add power!!
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jun 30, 2006, 03:40 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Pulling about 90W on a Typhoon Micro 6 with 7x4 prop my EZ* does fine with a 160-200 gram camera on the nose (RTF weight 800-900g). And it can actually ROG off short grass, although if a wingtip hooks into the turf you do run the risk of tipping over. Adding a little carriage with two wheels is probably safer here.

But after experiencing an EZGlider (EZG) with a Micro 15 turing an 8x6 and putting out about 200W and a RTF weight of about 1200g with camera and battery, I've been tempted to also upgrade my next EZ* to a motor/prop combo putting out 150-200W.

The extra power without too much weight penalty is really usefull when trying to fly out of or land in cramped areas. Take off is of course obvious: just go up vertically. But having 'too much power' is also quite useful for landing. I used to do most of my landings as 'continuous decent approaches' on iddle or very low throttle settings. Of late I've come into the habbit of actually flying in under more power which keeps the controls a lot more sensitive and the flight more predictable. That helps both when trying to hand-catch, but also when you decide you're overshooting or undershooting too much. A lot more ability to correct and still land, or to overshoot by going vertical and avoiding those plane eathing trees behind you ;=) And then of course, there is flying AP in windy conditions...... POWER, MORE POWER, never enough POWER ;=D
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:09 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Aerial Video from the Monster EZ

Well here it is... my first aerial video from the Hi-Power EZ.

General plan was some steep climbs to give an indication of time needed to get to height, and power available. Think I've achieved my objectives .

Camera is side facing to give an indication of Angle Of Attack.

http://www.terrysphotos.co.uk/2006-06-30-AV.wmv

Beware 31Mb video!

Enjoy,

Terry.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:22 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Oh she climbs good Shame that there was no landing, is she still up there must be that 6000 lipo.

Nice vid.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:44 PM
Hinesville, Ga
Joined Nov 2005
113 Posts
Hmmmm

Hate to ask, but I guess being new, I have to.
What exactly is an "EZ"
The link was to the motor, I figured that out.
And I am mostly interested in what camera you are using.

Very nice video!

Mike
Chaser is offline Find More Posts by Chaser
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:58 PM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,283 Posts
EZ = Multiplex Easy Star..only the bestes plane on da planet
JediKnight2 is online now Find More Posts by JediKnight2
Old Jun 30, 2006, 05:45 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2
EZ = Multiplex Easy Star..only the bestes plane on da planet
I prefer EZ* as abbreviation to distinguish it from the EZG (EasyGlider), both from Multiplex, and both great and reasonably low cost planes for learning to fly and for AP.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 06:05 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Yes, using the ESC brake will help the glide... Why not get a folding prop? That'd help the glide even more.
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
Old Jun 30, 2006, 07:03 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Chaser,

Camera used is a Nikon Coolpix P1, 8Mpix, 640x480 30fps Video.

Nice camera for Aerial Video, but still to prove it's worth for Aerial Photos.

My poor results so far MAY be due to vibration on my old motor... only time will tell on this when I take a few stills (probably tomorrow).

Hope that helps,

Terry.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:48 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,365 Posts
Very nice video Chargenut! Seems pretty hot and it didn't take very long for it to get up high. Just don't try to jump over it like MNG does. Hee Hee!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird