HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2006, 01:39 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,523 Posts
Discussion
"FORD" F4D skyray build thread...

hey guys, heres my next project...skyray...heres the 3 view im using to make some "plans" on paper/templates...depron will be ariving next week...plans are to fix the f-18, build a skyray and maybe a t-38/f-5/f-20 or f-15...or maybe something else! so stay tuned as i develope templates and begin building...havnt decided on a absolute size yet...wing span between 34-39" and length from 46-53"...hoping to keep the weight below 30 oz...i should be able to with the easy desighn....look for updates soon!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:33 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Sounds like a nice size'd FORD! Best of luck!!!

Tom
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:45 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,523 Posts
heres the chuckie!!!! the cg is only .5" behind where i guessed it was accoding to the location of the landing gear...flys amasing!!!!im going to make it rc today...just for fun!!!lets see....i got that eflite 400 laying around...couple hs55's.....hmmmmm........ by the way..its a 100% scale outline...wing rudder and all.

chuckie is 30"long, 23" wingspan.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:45 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Looks pretty cool CN!

PAul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:08 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,057 Posts
On the full fuse move the CG up more forward than the chuckie. I've found that out the hard way. Chuckies are just a good starting point. Steve( jetset) said the profile chuckie doesn't have the destabilizing tendencies that the full fuse does.
Words of wisdom from one who knows.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 01, 2006, 12:30 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Good point! with the CG forward you can control the the thing aft will kill you.
AC'
cdebaca is offline Find More Posts by cdebaca
Old Jul 01, 2006, 01:00 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,523 Posts
ok, heres the chuckie over kill!!!! so, this is 23" wingspan, 30" long...the full version will be 35"wing, 48" long....and made from depron. this is the first time ive ever used fff foam, works amasing for forming fuse sections...not to dtrong, but still lite. just need to install the servos, and set up the program, and she'll be ready to go tomarow....i'll take your cg theoryfor good use...accually i had the cg 3/4" forward to start, then to get the chuckie to glide right i moved it back 3/4"..so i'll move it back to the starting point i had....heres a few pics...(note: the big one will look really nice! i built this thing in 1 afternoon...desighn and all!)
Old Jul 01, 2006, 08:03 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,057 Posts
Now you know why I like ff over Depron. But both have their advantages. The Ford is looking very good.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2006, 09:08 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Funny you bring up starting a Skyray...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Jul 01, 2006, 09:15 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,523 Posts
thanks guys..im just about ready to go "fly" this thing in about 1 hr....it looks sweet, the full size one will look awsome! this one is like 75% or so of the one i'll build out of depron, but im thinking of doing most of the fuse with FF...but i cant find any out here!!!! (( but, i'll keep looking i gues...final weight in the little guy is 15.5oz...the e-flite 400 is pushing around 25oz of thrust, so i think thats enough... i'll just make sure to launch at a low setting....cant wait to build the big one!!!! got 10 sheets coming from rcfooam..cant wait...
Old Jul 01, 2006, 11:46 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
Great work so far, Corsair nut! Boy, you sure built that prototype QUICKLY! But it looks really good. I sure wish I could build things that fast, I'm a real slow poke when it comes to building stuff...

Funny you brought up the Skyray, I had just started laying out a Skyray park jet myself! Sal C sent me a bunch of great drawings and I had just started working the outline and figuring out how to make the blended fuselage look good. I was planning to size it to be real screamer with an LSPJ motor, and hopefully convertable to EDF. I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jul 01, 2006, 01:27 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,523 Posts
thanks jetsett! went out today.......it flies!!!!!and it flys amasing!!!! the first launch i used too much power and it torqued a bit, but once it was moving, i had to add a couple clicks of trim...and it flew on rails. i cant believe it flies so well for only having a 23" wingspan...im going to make one between32"-35" wingspan out of depron. to tell you the truth, i figured for whatever reason it wasnt even going to fly...you should see this thing high alfa!!! i was "walking the dog" 3 ft off the runway the whole way down...then full power to the vertical for 500ft...cant even express how amasing the ford flys...like its on rails. my dad(air sally) was amasing i whipped this sucker out in 1 day...now im going to reinforce a few things, spackle then paint...im really looking forward to the big one...the CG was also dead on. i cant tell you how easy it was to fly, how stable(even in wind) im just stoked right now...big time...as soon as that rcfoam box shows up.....its all over! i still cant believe it flies so well for something i just inlarged and drew onto the foam and started building...this is my second scratch build...the first was a 40 size p-47 that i desighned and built when i was 15...well over 130 flight...just sold it 2 weeks ago...now im almost 24! had that sucker for almost 10 years and it flew great. sorry it didnt take more contruction pics, but i will be sure to do it on the big one....im still on cloud 9! cant even believe it...my wife cant either!
heres a couple pics from today....
Old Jul 01, 2006, 04:27 PM
Glider guider
United States, FL, Sun City Center
Joined Oct 2005
359 Posts
Congratulations! Way to go! Be sure to crank out some plans of that large one for us, OK?
Speedo125 is offline Find More Posts by Speedo125
Old Jul 01, 2006, 04:36 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,057 Posts
Very nice! Where did the CG wind up compared to the chuckie?

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2006, 05:07 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,523 Posts
about 3/8 forward of the chucky...never had to re-balance..was great from the first toss!!!!! i'll post some vid soon...right now i took all the tape off and im doing it right...i wasnt sure if it was going to fly or not..it flys better than my f-18 did!(sorry steve! so i put on all the stations to help strenghen the wing, and also so you can throw the darn thing! and im also reinforcing alot of joints with gorilla glue too. thnaks guys!