HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2006, 02:18 PM
Joined Aug 2005
1 Posts
Mixed reviews but I have to agree with them all. Much information given in the review was not included in the instruction manual and as a result, many crashes and eventually a new XPD. Now that I learned how to set up the aircraft, I purchased another one and built it from experience. BUT...... like the earlier post I must have put on the wrong fan adapter, but nothing again was mentioned in the instructions. They all appeared the same to me and I thought they were just spares and of course this plane never made it off the bench as the fan wobbled during the test break in period. This motor fan disintegrate before my eyes. Now I had one smashed plane and another brand new plane with a destroy fan unit in it. I was royally ticked off. This new, non flying aircraft had to have the motor cut out and I took the old XPD motor and reinstalled it into this one. With alot of work and patching up this new one now looks used but at least it is flyable again. GP needs to build these fan units and test them before including them in the kit. Hopefully GP is reading these reviews and making corrections along the way because I think this is a great flying aircraft with a ton of future potential.
jrt20001 is offline Find More Posts by jrt20001
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2008, 02:27 AM
Joined Jan 2008
426 Posts
wow, glad i didnt buy one now, thanks for the heads up.

rc
rcairplains is offline Find More Posts by rcairplains
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:12 AM
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
A friend bought this plane....man i have to say I have never seen a worse plane..

First, the cock pit is so damn tiny that you can barely fit anything in it, even with his 2.4ghz RX, a small 30a esc and a tiny ass 800mA 2S he had to cut some of the cockpit out to fit it all..

Then the disaster that was its flying. With a 4000ish KV motor(within the limit of the manual) we went out and tossed it...i wanted to LOL but i knew he had put so much work into it i couldnt help but feel bad. We threw it and he gassed it to max(this thing must have been pushing 40k rpm there was SERIOUS air pushing out the back)..the thing dove into the ground as if there was no thrust at all..
I stared at him he stared at me...i was like uhhhh..lets try again..so i threw it again and this time he gunned it to full throttle..the thing went straight nose up about 2 feet off the ground and literally hovered there for 1-2 seconds with its nose straight up before it wobbled and flopped over onto the ground.

We continued to throw it a few times, sadly watching him get progressively more frustrated...he ended up scrapping the plane and using all the parts in a F27-C Stryker instead and is much happier...

I could make a paper airplane that could fly farther than this thing would, i to this day have no idea what was wrong with his setup...we would have tried a smaller motor and larger battery...but once its in there its pretty much in there..not to mention theres no way you could fit a 3S battery in that cockpit the way its shaped.

Maybe he just got a bunk kit, or somehow built it wrong even though i know he read the instructions and took his time since i was there building my plane.. I mean i wasnt expecting it to fly great..maybe require some tweaking with weights and CoG to get it right with the higher KV motor..but the highest elevation moment of this things flight was the instant it left my hand..

I would never recommend this frame to anyone..theres just so many better out there for cheaper now adays..atleast at our LHS.
arsenic0 is offline Find More Posts by arsenic0
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:56 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
I bought 2 units. I hope I'm not gonna be bummed

I'll see what happens and report back to thread when I get the chance.
hawkz is offline Find More Posts by hawkz
Old Aug 25, 2008, 06:42 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSon
extruded polypropylene = coroplast
expanded polypropylene = EPP

I could be wrong, it's quite often the case. I'll go away now.
you may be rite but i was palgerising so if im wrong i deserve it
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:52 PM
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
Unfortunately i think hes wrong

Coroplast = Corrugated PP Sheets..think Cardboard but made out of plastic not paper. Almost all election signs and signs used by stores are made out of Coroplast. Coroplast is a brand name though, the actual material itself goes by several other names..usually if you ask for Corrugated plastic they know what you mean.

EPP foam - think of the foam they make those pool noodles they make for swimming..im pretty sure thats EPP. Also they make some of the foam plates that raw meat are put on when you buy the syranwraped packages at the store..

I believe the Extruded foam is typically what most people call FFF or fan fold foam...its much smaller particles ..its typically more for insulation and things of that nature although i have seen it used in some shipping applications.
http://www.discconnect.com/FoamFly/what.htm
arsenic0 is offline Find More Posts by arsenic0
Last edited by arsenic0; Aug 25, 2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2008, 09:39 AM
Joined Mar 2008
82 Posts
i just bought this plane but it was a scratch and dent one, the hyperflow fan was already installed but i think the person that had it before didnt install it right can anyone post step by step pics of how its put together
ragingace is offline Find More Posts by ragingace
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0
A friend bought this plane....man i have to say I have never seen a worse plane..

First, the cock pit is so damn tiny that you can barely fit anything in it, even with his 2.4ghz RX, a small 30a esc and a tiny ass 800mA 2S he had to cut some of the cockpit out to fit it all..

Then the disaster that was its flying. With a 4000ish KV motor(within the limit of the manual) we went out and tossed it...i wanted to LOL but i knew he had put so much work into it i couldnt help but feel bad. We threw it and he gassed it to max(this thing must have been pushing 40k rpm there was SERIOUS air pushing out the back)..the thing dove into the ground as if there was no thrust at all..
I stared at him he stared at me...i was like uhhhh..lets try again..so i threw it again and this time he gunned it to full throttle..the thing went straight nose up about 2 feet off the ground and literally hovered there for 1-2 seconds with its nose straight up before it wobbled and flopped over onto the ground.

We continued to throw it a few times, sadly watching him get progressively more frustrated...he ended up scrapping the plane and using all the parts in a F27-C Stryker instead and is much happier...

I could make a paper airplane that could fly farther than this thing would, i to this day have no idea what was wrong with his setup...we would have tried a smaller motor and larger battery...but once its in there its pretty much in there..not to mention theres no way you could fit a 3S battery in that cockpit the way its shaped.

Maybe he just got a bunk kit, or somehow built it wrong even though i know he read the instructions and took his time since i was there building my plane.. I mean i wasnt expecting it to fly great..maybe require some tweaking with weights and CoG to get it right with the higher KV motor..but the highest elevation moment of this things flight was the instant it left my hand..

I would never recommend this frame to anyone..theres just so many better out there for cheaper now adays..atleast at our LHS.
Wth any wing, make sure you have a few clicks of up elevator trim. the angle of the elevon should match the curve/angle of the bottom of the wing when viewed from the side. that is nutral elevator for a wing. that might have been one problem. also if th ecg was off? also tossing out a wing is a learned skill. too k many attempts when I started to fly with my Zagi 400 back in 2000. make sure the cg is corret, then make sure the elevons are up a bit in back, then full throttle and toss her straight out adn if at all slightly upward.
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:19 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,272 Posts
was reading where you said it went straight up about 2 feet and stalled try throwing the plane at a 30-45 degree angle and maybe a couple of running steps they need speed to go and going straight up is not going to get it. my buddy launched mine and it flew well 1st launch i'm on my second kit 1st one flew great but my dumbthumbs couldnt keep up with landing it lol second kit i'm making a couple of mods learned from the 1st.once this plane gets going it moves pretty quickly.its a tossup which i can make faster this or my stryker b/l.but if ya have probs im me and ill see if i can help
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2006
14 Posts
Did anybody follow the instructions regarding breaking in the edf unit? Something about running the fan at quarter throttle until the noise goes away, then increasing to fifty percent and so on. Also, did any of you break in the brushed motor? Since my first brushed motor, about 1988, I have followed the break in procedure of taping a C cell alkaline battery to wires and then connect to motor and let run till either the battery dies or 30 mins have passed.

I bought one of these planes on the cheap from Tower and have only read the instructions so far.
spawnconnery is offline Find More Posts by spawnconnery
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:24 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,335 Posts
I am a little late into this discussion. But yeah I did break in the motor like they stated.

I had my wattmeter hooked up and the brushed motor seemed to be drawing more current than it should. The ESC cut out a couple of times, so i switched to a 2s1p 1000mah pack instead of the 3s1p 1000 mah pack I was using. I continued the break in and later found that it drew about 50 watts off the 2s1p pack at WOT. But current was a little less than 10 amps at the time. I later switched back to the 3s1p pack and ran it again and the motor was performing well now. About 11-12 amps and around 104 watts at WOT. Huge difference then. The ESC was a lot happier now and didn't cut out on me.

So it seems a break in helps seat the brushes and smooths them out more so the motor runs better. Plus the fan blades tend to stretch and start to rub on the housing, so building up the rpms slowly helps to wear the tips in. On my fan the fan tips all had a small air gap around the inside circumference. But after a few higher rpm runs, you could see worn spots on the inside circumference where the fan bladed touched the housing.

Anyway it is all built up, and yeah I had to cut out a chunk out of the top of the canopy too. I just could not quite get the ESC to fit in there with the top on. So I have a hole in the top as well. I remember someone had vacuum formed some clear plastic canopies for these planes. But I don't know if they still make them or not.

I am not sure if it'll fly at this time, as it is like 110 degrees F outside during the day, and I am not sure the ESC will cut out on me from the heat. I have a couple of other planes that flew great this last winter and spring. But in the hot afternoon, both plane's ESC's would cut out at low throttle. So I may wait for cooler days this fall or try flying it early in the morning before it gets too hot.

Humm didn't expect the weather to be rainy for the rest of the weekend. I might get a chance if the rain lets up later.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 05, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1 Posts
I'm a little late too earl. But thought i would put my two cents in. I just bought one off tower hobbies. It was cheap. Figured it was small enough to take with me in my vehicle and fly it when ever.

I have had some problems right away. I folowed the instructions to the T. Everything went very well. I did have the same problem as everyone else with the canopy being to small. All my problems started with the break in. I followed the instructions for the breakin to the T also. In the third stage of the breakin the brushed motor burned out. I read in the forums that the rear cone doesn't let enough air to the motor and it would be better to leave it off. So I decided to go brushless. I bought the gp 20x40x3500 ammo inrunner that gp recomended. I put that in everything seemed fine nice and quiet. I started the fan breakin again. No problems there. Then the shaft on the brushless motor decides to break right at the base where they reduced the shaft down in size. It appears the shaft was faulty because it was running smooth. The tip of the shaft was tight in the fan after it broke so it wasn't because anything was loose. Just receaved my replacement brushless. Hopefully I have better luck with this one.
keeffer is offline Find More Posts by keeffer
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:59 AM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
440 Posts
Great Planes has apparently dropped the XPD8 as of July 2010 and I suspect the Miglet will be soon out the door as well, though Great Planes parent company outlet store Tower Hobby has jacked the price for the Miglet up to an absurd $80! I bought 2 XPD8's for $29 each + shipping a while back.

I built one with a 20mm Turnigy 4400kv Inrunner and the other with the stock ball bearing brushed motor. Frankly the brushless is too fast for the airframes capabilities. I enjoy the more fun and less crazy stock flyer.

Incidentally, one thing GLARINGLY OMITTED from this build up is that you take your time and BREAK IN THE BRUSHED MOTOR before flying it!!! You ALWAYS break-in a Brushed motor! Shame on the Author for omitting this!

Also I installed the "winglets" using very strong Neodymium magnets, cause this plane WILL tumble if your landings aren't perfect or there is some ground turbulence when landing.

If you see the Miglet on sale for around $40 BUY ALL YOU CAN!! They are a blast to fly!
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst