HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:21 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,041 Posts
Discussion
E-sailplane and 8103 programming

I know many of you use a switch for throttle function; preferrably a spring loaded switch, and it's either full on or off. But I'm not there yet with my flying- still needing to dial in trims, ele. compensation, and last but not least- my skills!

Have any of you used Miami Mike's programming that allows throttle and variable crow to be alterntely shared (via crow switch) on throttle stick?

http://www.smacaw.com/xp8103/

I've got a question on how to alter the programming. Can the stick position for crow be reversed? The way it is stated on the above web page crow is full as stick is all the way forward- I'd like full crow when stick is all the way back. Forward=go, back=stop. I have a big sloper programmed with full crow with spolier (throttle) stick all the way back, so I'd like to keep this orientation.

It is also makes sense to me that if the throttle/spoiler stick were all the way back for landing with full crow and the switch were bumped changing the stick to throttle- the throttle would be safely back, close to or at 0 input. With the way it is described on the above page it seems that accidently bumping the switch changing the throttle/spoiler stick you'd either accidently deploy full crow while already at full thottle, or you'd engage full throttle accidently while trying to land with full crow.

Did I read the description wrong? Does this make sense to anyone?

I'm looking for;
left stick forward= full throttle OR no crow
left stick back= no throttle OR full crow.
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Last edited by wingbeat; Jun 29, 2006 at 12:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:35 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jul 2002
346 Posts
I had an 8103 but now use the 9303. If I recall you can change the offset value from -175 to 175 and this will reverse the function on the stick.

The problem I see with your suggested setup is this: you are gliding and preparing to land, you'll need to activate a mix that disables the motor then move the throttle stick up before activating the crow switch to prevent having full crow instantly deployed when you throw the crow switch. I had my 8193 set up with no-motor, no-crow on the left stick and full-motor, full-crow with a switch that disabled motor and activated crow as described by Miami Mike.

Cheers,

Eric
RapidRaptor is offline Find More Posts by RapidRaptor
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:05 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,041 Posts
Rapid-

Thanks for the input. I see what your saying about moving the stick. I was trying to get away from having the toggle between full throttle and full crow- seems it may be dangerous to the plane. But I also see that switching like I outlined above may be just as awkward flying and in the end get me in trouble as well.

Glad to hear your set-up via Miami Mike worked for ya- I'll try it out.
thanks again
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:34 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,877 Posts
I think you are reading it wrong.
I used the throttle stick as both motor and "crow" control on a couple of planes with my 8103, set up the way you want it.
Takeoff starts with the stick at low. Move the stick up turn on motor. At the end of the climb, flip the switch to turn off motor and select "crow" mode, but no crow deployed.
When landing just pull the stick back for glide path control.
I disagree with him on one point. I want motor enabled with the switch forward, not back. I always try to program a radio so that all switches are forward for launch.
Very easy to do the pre-flight check this way. All forward = ready to go.
My 9303 is set up to function the same way, but the actual programming is very different.
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:40 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,041 Posts
Pat-

that's exactly how I want to do it, and I agree all switches forward for launch. Sherman Knight recommends this in his guide to six servo sailplanes as well.

So- how did you do it? Was your programming an alteration of Miami Mike's method, or something else?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:08 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,877 Posts
Very similar I think, but mine was done long before I ever saw his.
I initially did this quite a while ago, and just copied the setup to new models.
Comparing his instructions with my program, I do have the SPOI offset in the butterfly menu set to +165, his is at -175.
I also used two mixes to disable the motor.
SPOI to SPOI in PMIX 6 with the BTFY switch enabling it, and AUX2 to SPOI in PMIX 2 with -100 for all points, also enabled by the BTFY switch.
I seem to recall that without the second PMIX my motor would just start to come on at full stick, but that was probably an analog brushed controller so this might not be necessary.
I just kept it the way it was when I went brushless.
This is all a bit easier with the 9303 BTW, if you are looking for a reason to upgrade
Hope that helps,
Pat MacKenzie
P.S. I do have one exception to the "all forward" switches rule.
I use the centre position of the camber switch on launch. The forward is used for reflex mode, and back is for thermal. It just seems more logical this way to me.
In actual use I can motor up in any of the three modes. It doesn't make much difference in a steep climb.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie