HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:41 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Build Log
Building of WindFreak-ZonZoeker-Bagheera

Well this begins a build thread of my latest endeavor, the building of a WindFreak, or should I call it ZonZoeker? Well I think I'm going to induce enough mods to it to give it my own name. I'm going to call it "Bagheera". However, I will give credit where credit is due.

The original plan was designed by Roger Sanders in the early 80s, and his plans are available from RCM. Then a fellow Alabamian named Roy Walton from Mobile re-vamped the WindFreak a bit and called it ZonZoecker. Roy was nice enough to share his work with me and I will be using some of that in my build.

Roy's ZonZoeker is the Gold one in the pictures. She's beautiful!

The mods I plan to make to mine:

(1) I plan to make a fiberglass fuselage using the "Lost Foam" method of construction.

(2) The wing I plan to strectch to 120inches in WingSpan and the chord length to about 14inches. This equates to a 20% increase in WS and about 10% increase in chord. Additionally I plan to build the wing using the AVA method of construction. If you'd like to see more of how that is done, check out the "Dancing Hippo" build thread in the Thermal forum.

(3) I'm still debating about adding small spoilers to the outboard panels.....

Tonight's work was on the fuse:

Went to HomeDepot and bought a torn up sheet of Dow Pink Insulation foam for $5. Took it home and cut out three VERY rough outlines of the fuse. Pulled off the thin film attached to the outside of each section and glued the three together with 3M77. Then more 3M77 to attach the fuse outline drawings that Roy shared with me. Then off to the bandsaw, then the disk sander, then a hand-file, then the hand-orbital sander, then individual sheets of sandpaper. And about two and a half hours latter on a humid Summer night with 3M77 spray and foam dust in the air - my kind of fun.

Next step is to cover it all with masking tape, and wax it up good and thick before the fiberglassing.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Last edited by atjurhs; Jul 08, 2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: corrected the spelling of the Zon Zoeker again
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2006, 07:19 AM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
That looks good Todd! Nice work with the pink foam too!

I haven't researched that plane, but is it going to be a thermal plane? Winch launched?
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:54 AM
Mobile, Alabama
Joined Aug 2002
620 Posts
Hi Todd,

You have made a great start on an ambitious project!

Roy
Roy Walton is offline Find More Posts by Roy Walton
Last edited by Roy Walton; Jun 29, 2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:51 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Todd,
This is great. I'm learning a bunch already. I saw your post in the Slope forum, so it looks like you are getting good advice and guidance. I'll be watching and learning.
Dave
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:13 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Ok basically I sucked at the wrapping part. I started off by cutting the FG, and my wife's good fabric scissors broke. So I repaired them with a 2inch bolt, and used it as a cutting aid

I wrapped the fuse like a barber's pole in one direction. Then with the next piece of cloth wrapped it like a barber's pole in the opposite direction so that they overlapped. The mid-section came out pretty good, the tail section fair, but the nose sucks!

And I didn't even try putting on the fine FG cloth, there were already too many airpockets - if only I had a vacum pump.

So "plan B" is to let it dry, sand out the major bumps and fill the air pockets, and then put on a layer of the fine FG cloth. I know epoxy doesn't like to bond to epoxy too well, but hopefully with all the sanding I'll do and that the next coat is really only for cosmetics, I'll be ok.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:08 AM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Good thing there is Krylon Paint. With a few coats, nobody will know what she looks like underneath.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 03:58 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
You callin' my baby ugly ?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:11 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,401 Posts
What is the chord on that wing....gotta be huge!
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2006, 05:27 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
on my 120" version it will be 14.25"

on the original 100" version it is 12"
Old Jun 30, 2006, 06:37 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Its not ugle, but

Your baby has hair....!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
You callin' my baby ugly ?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:59 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Not any more. It got an 80grit buzz job - hot Summer day and FG dust, even more fun than 3M77 and pink foam dust. Next it will grow warts and it will trult be ugly!
Old Jul 01, 2006, 11:00 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Tonight she got warts - After all that sanding, lots and lots of airpockets were opened up. So tonight I filled them with 30minute epoxy and microballons and fiberglass fuzz balls. She was just too ugly to smile for the camera. You'll just have to wait till her next FG coat goes on. This time I'll try to do it right.
Old Jul 03, 2006, 07:29 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Plan "B" is working out well, and "B" stands for beer

Oh yea, and the second layering method is working out better too

As the pics show I cut the 5oz. FG cloth to match the fuse. Then I tacked it in place using thick CA as I strecthed it around the fuse's curves. The tail area got a little tricky, but it seemed to come out. Then applying a new coat of epoxy, I could really tell where any airbubles were, and it was easy to wet them out with the chip brush. Finally I took some strips of 1oz FG and layed them atop for a really smooth surface finish. It may be hard to tell from the pics, but it is very smooth. Once this side is dry I will strip away the excess cloth and do the same thing to the other side, then the top and the bottom. Three more epoxy sessions to achieve one layer, but the end results seem worth it.

BTW, the redish colored warts are "spot glazing putty" It sands really nicely and absorbs epoxy too. I used it to get rid of the final small air pockets.
Old Jul 04, 2006, 12:04 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Thought I'd post a drawing of the wing's layout

The "A" ribs are full length to the TE. The "B" ribs are shortened. The number 1 ribs are solid except for the spar hole. The number 2 ribs have lightening holes laser cut in them. See the PDF.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 06:44 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
The trailing edge of that is thinnnnnn, on mine I was going to use the S5020, but it had a thin trailing edge also, so I', going with the BW050209.
soarrich is offline Find More Posts by soarrich