SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2006, 03:41 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Build Log
Ultra Fly P-51D detailed build thread with scale mods.Flight video added!!

First impressions are a nicely moulded kit,with just tiny porous holes in the foam,but of course,even these will show,even after the tissue/Poly C process,so will have to brush it with watered down filler,and sand away first.

I intend to build a detailed cockpit interior,and carve a foam WW2 period fighter pilot figure,other cockpit interior parts will be fabricated from depron.

I will also be looking into the possibilty of a sliding cockpit canopy too.

The fuselage interior will be dremelled away where possible, especially at the tail end before joining.

Wish me luck!!

Matt
Maiden video here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...27#post9491839
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Last edited by Matt Halton; Apr 04, 2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Video test flight added.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:04 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,004 Posts
Good Luck Matt!
danny.act is online now Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:14 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
LOL, Don't believe in luck myself. You have my best wishes though. May she turn out beautifully.
Drusky is offline Find More Posts by Drusky
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:17 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Thanks Danny and Drusky!

Just hollowed out one side,as a point of interest,both fuse sides and the canopy base weigh 3oz!

Am hoping to shave at least 1oz,and so far is looking good,the hollowed out side has shed 1/2oz already!

I left the joining pins in place,also left the wing mount area (no good if you can't screw the wing to the model)

Plenty of room for essential equipment up front,and the tail end is lighter.

Here are a couple of pictures to compare.

Matt
Old Jun 28, 2006, 06:17 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
As expected, a whole ounce,(56g) has been shaved off,now to hollow the radiator cooling intake under the wing.

Going well!

Matt
Old Jun 28, 2006, 06:45 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Here's how much extra space you end up with inside..
Old Jun 28, 2006, 07:22 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Here's the power system, Hyperion Z-2213-24 from Aircraft-World. 195 Watts on a 12x6 prop on a 3S drawing 17.7 amps.

I'd like to try the big 4 blader from GWS,but have no idea if it is feasible,any ideas please?

Matt
Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:31 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Hollowed out the cooling intake,needs a little final cleanup with paper,more weight saved,and am hoping it might whistle in flight!
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:05 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Have been looking at the elevator control set up,have decided to build an internal horn,save having an ugly horn outside,and a possible closed loop system for the rudder,willl look a lot cleaner and hence,improve the scale appearance.

Am cutting up the canopy base to remove more dead weight,will post more pics soon.
Am thoroghly enjoying this!

Anyone know the scale of this model,to help with sizing my pilot?Plus I have the instrument panel and seat etc to make.

Am going to get the flaps to deflect at angles more in keeping with the full size.

Matt
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:37 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Found a very good scale resource re. P-51 cockpit interiors here for any of you that might like to know!
http://www.simpits.org/design/P51_de..._details1.html
De-restricted drawings on line!

Matt
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:31 AM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Very cool build, thanks for sharing! I'll look forward to the rest of this! Any idea of what your AUW will be when finished? I wonder if you could get one of those cheap BP Hobbies motors to pull one of these airplanes around.... The ultrafly models are very cool.... Kind of like the Mercedes of the GWS line if that makes any sense at all LOL. Really though, I'm a fan of their BAE Hawk an Su-27, never seen any photos of the WWII warbirds but this one looks like it's going to be very cool!

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:00 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Hi Matt,am hoping this turns out light, but want to add some scale details,like depron leg strut covers,struts bent as per full size and doors etc,so can't predict anything at this point!

I think the UF range is very good,especially when you can build the unpainted versions as well as painted-suits everyone.

I have a sound idea for the sliding canopy, just hope it goes to plan.

Anyway,here's a pic of the fuse in it's present state-all 2oz of it!

More later,

Matt
Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:10 AM
Morristown, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Signing On.

Go Matt, Go!

Boogie
Mr. Boogie is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Boogie
Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:49 AM
Pearland, TX
Joined Sep 2005
117 Posts
Matt.....be careful with the sliding canopy. MAKE SURE that when it's closed it STAY closed during flight. I know from experience.....I built a sliding canopy on a FSK FW190. It had a great cool factor up until it popped open one day when I was in a starboard bank on final. At that instant the cool factor turned into drag factor as the model immediately yawed to starboard effectively pointing the noise into the ground. Thankfully I was on final, flying slow, only about 5 ft. off the deck so the damage was minimal. That was proof enough for me that the cockpit is better off glued shut and has been ever since.
bo-bo is offline Find More Posts by bo-bo
Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:34 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Bo bo,I have noted your comments, but I think I have devised a way of making it impossible to come off in fight (looks great on paper anyway!)
Thanks for the tip.

Boogie, welcome! I hope you enjoy the process!

Update:

Have filled the hideous circular mould holes under the wing and stab/fin with light filler.A tip when doing this, make sure the filer hasn't hardened before sanding, just wait until the suface is touch dry then GENTLY sand.If you let it go solid,it is hard to sand away,and you risk damage to the foam around it.I used fine grade glasspaper with a cork sanding block,works great.

The bumps are also gone,and those little spots on the fin/rudder.Looks loads better!

The whole airframe was then light sanded,came out so well, I can skip the idea of brushing watered down filler and sanding.The surface is ready to cover now.

Incidentally, I feathered down the trailing edges,to about 1/16'' thickness,didn't like the squared off edges.
The flaps will be installed without fibre hinges,an going to use tube and wire,more details as I do it.

Next job,create the internal elevator system,and rudder controls.
Forgot to add, I filled the dents in the tail to accept the control horns,won't be needing them now.

A couple of pics:

Matt