HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
36 Posts
Discussion
Looking for high-quality easy kit OR built sub

I'm looking for a high-quality beginner kit that is easy to build. A Small World Models Blueback would be perfect (not looking to save any money, just remove the wait). Or a high-quality built/used sub. Needs to be scale military (WWII through current) and be a static diver.
bos10 is offline Find More Posts by bos10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:48 PM
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jan 2004
183 Posts
I enjoyed the albacore from skip . at RCboats. I found the kit easy and fun to build. I think priced right too.
rebuildit is offline Find More Posts by rebuildit
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:04 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
I hear the ThorDesign Permit is a nice submarine
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:50 AM
Joined Jun 2004
88 Posts
All the boats mentioned above are good.

For as close to RTR as possible I would go with Small World Models. Here is a review I did on the SWM Trenchant.

http://www.subpirates.com/viewtopic.php?t=171

Cheers
BC
bcliffe is offline Find More Posts by bcliffe
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:39 PM
United States, NY, Croton-On-Hudson
Joined Nov 2004
98 Posts
Hi

Dave Merriman's (D&E Miniatures) 1/96th scale Skipjack with the WTC3 is almost ready to run to the same sort of level as the Blueback and SWM boats. If his catalogue prices are still current the Skipjack hull with linkages set up is about $400 and the WTC3 with Propel ballast system and motor is $360. You have to do the same things to the hull you have to do the SWM kits I believe. Here's a quote from Dave's catalogue:
http://www.vabiz.com/d&e/downloads/2...-webformat.pdf

Pre-assembled and in primer gray, only two nights work is needed to get it into the water. Control surfaces, fixed ballast weight, buoyant foam, propeller, running gear, instructions, Deep Sea Designs plans, a complete set of masts and antennas, and dry-transfer markings make this the most complete and easily assembled scale R/C submarine kit on the market today.

The WTC3 needs:
- 4-channel R/C system with two standard servos,
- Traxxas speed controller
- APC-3/4 angle keeper
- SubSafe failsafe
- 7 Volt 1500 mAH Ni-Cad battery
- battery charger
- can of Propel and Propel charging fitting.

I have driven a Skipjack BTW and that little sucker is fast in the water and turns like a fighter because of the roll associated with the sail (true to scale) which is both fun and can drive you to the bottom of the pond if you're not careful. Here's a movie of a Skipjack in action at the 05 Subregatta:
Click here to watch Skipjack-movie

Dave Manley's boats (SWM) look great as well and Skipjack and the SWM kits are about as close to RTR as you will get in this hobby. I personally am building the Subtech Albacore and there is a lot of work to do on the hull and the WTC. If I was doing this again, just to get something in the water straight off, I would have gone for the Skipjack or the Blueback to start off with.

Cheers
Byron
byzcol is offline Find More Posts by byzcol
Old Jul 02, 2006, 01:21 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
II have a Engle Patrick Henry TAES kit for sale. $750 I also have a 1/96 Scale Shipyard Acula kit with a Small World 3.5" wtc w/motor. $400

email me at fgroza@msn.com
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Jul 02, 2006, 07:42 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
You may want to check this kit offering from Ark Model:

http://www.arkmodel.com/C7606_e.htm
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jul 07, 2006, 01:41 AM
Joined Nov 2005
102 Posts
Thanks..hermill...I went to that website and have requested a ready to run price on one of the submarines. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Very much appreciated.
flightdog is offline Find More Posts by flightdog
Old Jul 07, 2006, 04:40 AM
Joined Oct 2005
392 Posts
Hello Sir,I believe many other firms supply more beautiful and excellent model submarines.
But Dragon Shark is special design for Junior who hope own a real(static diving) sub .
She has very sexy external and agility movement.the size is easy to carry.
But still some buyer complain to us that this model was investigated in their CIQ because this sub is very like a bomb in WW2!iT'S SO FUNNY!
arkmodel is offline Find More Posts by arkmodel