HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:56 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
Bald Eagle grabbed my sloper!

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. It's never happened before, so I was pretty surprised, but what a rush! I've got about 30 pics on my buddies camera, so I'm hoping a few of these turn out.

What happened was an immature bald eagle (teenager) had claimed my slope as his own and was chasing away other eagles and my plane and my buddies plane. He made a couple of passes at mine and grabbed the tail twice, then flew a short distance away and picked up an aluminum soda can. He came back and started SHREDDING the can in his talons! I've never seen anything like this. He flew with us for about 20 minutes, then took off for a while.
When he came back, he started after my buddies plane, so I landed, so I could just watch. He ended up grabbing and HOLDING my buddies plane by the tail with the nose hanging down for a few seconds prior to releasing it. He did this twice, then took off after another invading eagle. This bird makes testosterone teenagers look tame!

Like I said earlier, hard to believe, but VERY cool. If the pics we took turn out, I'm going to take them to the local paper, see if they're interested in them.

We're going back out on Sunday with my video camera, maybe we can get some video of this bird!

Jeff
JWC is offline Find More Posts by JWC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:19 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2001
392 Posts
If the pics turn out, please post a few on E-Zone. I had a hawk attack and destroy a kite about 40 yrs ago and that was pretty neat but the kite was a stationary object.

Sounds like a pretty pumped up bird. Would just about be worth the loss of a plane to see it "egalizied" in the air. There was a thread recently with a picture picture of the remains of a plane that an eagle carried away and tore apart.
gerico is offline Find More Posts by gerico
Old Jul 27, 2002, 01:01 AM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
Yes if the pictures turn out please post 'em.
I'd definitely like to take a look at that.
Sounds like the Eagle needs an Anger Management Class

Bryan
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Old Jul 27, 2002, 02:10 AM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
My buddy is heading home on Sunday and will download the pics from his digital camera then e-mail them back to me. Wether or not they turn out well, I'll post the best of the lot anyway. With any luck, it will look better then two dots. I think that several will turn out well, I could hover my plane about 35-40 feet away from us and the Eagle kept making swipes at it, so the pics were at a relatively stationary object. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

Jeff
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:39 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
Eagle pics are here

I'll post the best of them, bear with me......

Jeff
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:41 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
and another......

and another
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:43 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
This one shows the strike, it's hard to see, but his wings are in "hover mode" and his talons are ON my plane!

Okay, it takes a little imagination.....
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:48 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
I just looked at that last one... Man! it doesn't show a thing! It looks like a bat to me.
Okay, you need ALOT of imagination to see the 'strike'!
I've got one more, then I'm done. The rest look like two dots.

Jeff
Old Jul 30, 2002, 02:13 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2001
392 Posts
Clearly your plane was "outgunned".

BIG bird!
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:50 AM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
A year ago a REALY BIG bald eagle attacked a full scale Duo Discus owned by a few friends of mine.

They where enjoying there vacation in the mountains here in Europe when BOOOMMM the Eagle flew right throu the outer wing of the plane.

I am not kidding here. The pilots landed the plane in an hazerdes landing where they ended up cartwhealing the plane a bit.

The outer wing half was very badly damaged, the factory had to send them a new one. The rest of the plane was a quik fix.

One of the pilots has a leg of the bird hanging from his flying pants. Maby this would help keeping other birds away?!
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jul 30, 2002, 04:16 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
I don't want to keep the birds away! That was some of the neatest flying I've ever done. I'm more than willing to sacrafice a chunk of foam and strapping tape to see that. The digital camera we were using cost $70, so the picture quality obviously suffered quite a bit. I've flown with eagles up here on numerous occasions, (but not like THIS one) that I think it's time for me to get a good digital camera. Last night I bought one for way too much money. It should be here in a couple of weeks, maybe get some decent pics next time. The plane? It's disposable! If I could get some shots of the eagle tearing it apart, it'd be worth it to me. Besides, I scratch build my slopers, pretty cheap.

Jeff
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:29 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2001
392 Posts
Jeff,

I agree completely. Maybe on the next one you should paint it like a hawk. That ought to get your young eagle going.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:42 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
Gerico,

If I could paint worth a darn I'd do it. As it is, my hawk would probably end up looking like donald duck.

I have read those articles about the hawk gliders that looked pretty interesting.............

Jeff
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:10 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,722 Posts
text
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Last edited by DT56; Apr 01, 2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: text
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:55 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
HI JWC,

Bob in Seattle here. Can't thank you enough for posting those shots. I've had a few run in's with eagles and hawks too. The worst was a few months ago, I had to do some really fancy flying to get away from her. Your right about one thing, it's an adrenilin rush, and top gun all rolled into one.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member