HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2002, 10:06 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
GWS 300C "B", Oil it or not?

Like the subject says, should I oil my GWS gearbox in my Switchback or run it like it is? I have about 10 or 12 flights on it now, without oil. It's starting to make a "vibration" noise at around 1/3 throttle.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:18 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Not that this answers whether you "should" or "shouldn't" but I never did, and mine performed flawlessly through 65 flights. When it did die, it was all at once and not gradually over time. Check your prop alignment and balance.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:52 PM
Mountain View, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
75 Posts
A lot depends on the oil you select. You need to be a little careful. Many of the light oils may contain petroleum products that reduce the life of the plastic. There are special purpose oils and greases made for use with plastic gears. I found some in the train department at a local hobby store. Also available are cermanic greases that work well both for plastic and metal.

All that said, I did use a light 3-in-one like oil on a gws gearbox about a year and a half back and I haven't see any ill effects (yet).

It will be interesting to learn what others have found.

Jim
Jim Winget is offline Find More Posts by Jim Winget
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:44 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Doug suggested that I check the prop also. Now that I think of it, the noises started when I changed from my APC 9x6 SF to a GWS 9x7, and I was in such a hurry to beat the dark that evening, that I never checked the prop, and today was the first time I flew since then. So I'll try that before the next flight.

On the subject of oils, I used some 3-in-1 on my first DX-A, which contains "petroleum distillates", and never had any problems with the gears, the motor just died of old age.

Thanks again.

Keith
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 27, 2002, 08:55 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Any wet lubricant will only serve to pick up dirt and dust that will negatively impact performance. I've been using powdered graphite with good success. There are several different dry lubricants that are widely available.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich