HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:42 PM
Joined Jun 2006
159 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX6 vs. Futaba vs. JR vs. ?

Ok, I know this has been discussed a million times, in a million different messages, but I haven't seen a concise guide. I scoured the forums the other day checking out the Spektrum DX6 radio, as I am considering purchasing one sometime very soon (I almost have done so on two occassions so far, but I keep feeling like I am missing some valuable information).

I thought I had my mind made up today, and then when I was out at "the field" flying, I had two "veteran" plane flyers tell me that the Futaba 7CAP or 9CAP was the only way to go and not to "waste my time" with the DX6 if I was planning on flying for more than a summer...

Not being an expert in this field, I am starting to feel very frustrated by everyone's "opinions" and lack of facts...

From what I've read, I see the following:

DX6 Info: 6 Channel, 10 Model Memory
DX6 Pros: Won't get channel bumped.
DX6 Cons: RX costs $60, Limited to about 2000 foot distance, Short Battery Life

7CAP Pros: RX can be purchased cheaply, Can fly farther distance than DX6?
7CAP Cons: Can be channel bumped

I don't have a ton of money to spend, I'd like to stay < $300 on the Radio + servos, but I'd also like something that I can grow into to some extent.

I currently fly park flyers, and a helicopter (Blade CX, nothing special) - but I like the planes better, so the heli sits most of the time anyways. I would, at some point, like to move up to some bigger planes - maybe something in the area of 4-5 foot from prop to rudder, but most likely electric only - not really in the mood to go back to nitro... (I have several thousand invested in nitro buggies, cars, trucks, etc. I'm LOVING the electric power for the ease and the quietness).

We don't really have an "air field" per se, every field near me is either an indoor arena, or the biggest field I've been on was a high school "complex" that had 4 baseball fields, a football field, 2 tennis courts, and a couple big parking lots all right next to eachother. If I had to guess, I would still say no more than 1,000 - 1,500 feet from the trees to the school.

Is there another radio that "fits the bill"? I could hold off and save up some more money if it is really going to make a difference.
oeginc is offline Find More Posts by oeginc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:00 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
The big club field I visit occasionally has more and more pilots showing up with their planes and helis with the DX6 installed. Each of them raves about the setup. I usually fly in a local park and have yet to be shot down.

If I could wave a magic wand and replace my Hitec Eclipse and all my Bergs I probably would. If they only made a receiver with end plugs I'd convert tomorrow.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:04 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,684 Posts
It is SO NICE to show up, unload and fly using the spectrum. I love mine but anxiously wait for the second gen DX6 with more options...
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:44 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,867 Posts
I would not worry about range, if you can see it well enough to fly it the DX6 will control it.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:48 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,508 Posts
I flew my GWS Pizza today high enough that it was a little dot that I could barely make out. Control was rock solid.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:32 AM
Joined Jun 2006
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
I flew my GWS Pizza today high enough that it was a little dot that I could barely make out. Control was rock solid.
Well, I don't really think it needs to be too far away from you to make the pizza look like a little dot...

The planes they were flying were Multiplex Magister's (64" wingspan, 47" fuselage, 84 oz. electric) which seems like a plane I would definitely like to fly. He was telling me that the DX6 wouldn't be able to fly that plane until it was a little dot on the horizon (not that I would really WANT to do that, but the thought of loosing control of my plane doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling).

Just another note (while I was cruising thru Multiplex's website), Multiplex has a Multiplex Royal EVO radio that is "shift selectable allowing you to fly with ANY brand of FM receiver"... That sounds pretty good, although it appears to be nearly twice the cost of the DX6...
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:45 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
The Spektrum system by all accounts is a good radio setup and it's very cheap (until you start buying additional receivers) which makes it all the more attractive. That being said, don't be swayed away from the 72 MHz systems by unwarranted fears. Channel conflict is really not an issue unless you regularly fly in an area where there might be ten or more planes in the air at the same time (I wouldn't want to fly in such an area) and with any quality equipment glitching isn't an issue.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:47 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,508 Posts
Verry true but I have also flown other planes (not 64" span) around 45" or so to the same appearence and still solid.

And you are right who wants to fly that far away anyway unless you are flying a sailplane!

In any case I think the range is plenty for a lot of planes. Even if they do say for "parkflyers" only.

I used to fly with a Airtronics rd6000 computer radio and even though it had a longer range I feel safer with my DX6 flying as far as my eyes will permit.
For me I feel almost like I have more range with my DX6 because it is so solid.

I don't think range is really much of an issue for anything other then planes that will be thermelled to great hieghts. There may be other things that might be more important then range to make your choice. It does not have expo or dual rate on rudder for instance.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:02 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
I am currently experimenting with the DX6 and Have it on 3 planes ranging from 36" to 50". I have had no range problems and neither have any of the other 10 or so people who are now flying them at my field. We range tested on an EasyStar and had to bring it back due to sight issues not control issues. However, the radio is based on the discontinued, entry level JR662 and is missing some features I would really like to have such as:

Dual Rates and Expo on the rudder channel
Built in timers
Trim adjustment in 1 step increments instead of two steps, I need finner adjustments
Adjustable spring rates on the sticks
Longer model names
Throttle Lock switch

So for now I would say your issue is more about features, costs than range.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:03 AM
Joined Jun 2006
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
There may be other things that might be more important then range to make your choice. It does not have expo or dual rate on rudder for instance.
Which brings up a good point, really how important is having dual rates & expo's on your radio if I plan on doing some 3D flying in the future. Is it something that is really more required by "professional" 3D flyers? or is it something that I would use right away starting out (Sheesh, just reading that question again makes me feel like such a newb).

Currently, I stick to loops, rolls, etc. but definitely see myself progressing to 3D flying.

So if the DX6 isn't really recommended for that, then what is?

Perhaps a better question to ask would be...

For the money, what is the best radio for:

1) Normal park flying (DX6 sounds pretty good here)
2) 3D park flying
3) Long range flight (DX6 still sounding pretty good here too)

Am I going to be able to get a radio that can do what I want for < $300?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:11 AM
Pasco, WA
Joined Oct 2005
106 Posts
I had a DX6, I sold it and bought a 9CHP. The DX6 is a good radio, with limitations.

The Dx6 feels cheap, balances poorly, but works pretty well.

The 9C is in a different class.

If the DX6 meets your needs, present and expected, go for it. I would spend a little extra and get a used 9C, you may even find one for around the same price, but it depends on what comes with it.

FWIW the Spektrum servos are junk, don't count on them being around for long.
Rustykfd is offline Find More Posts by Rustykfd
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:12 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
I like the technology a lot. However, I will not go backwards in radio features to be able to use it. Seems a shame it's not out in better transmitters than what exists now.

Matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
Pasco, WA
Joined Oct 2005
106 Posts
Yes you want dual rates and expo, yes you can get a good radio for less than $300. If you shop around you can find a new 9C in that price range.

The DX6 has DR Exp on Ail and Ele, you can set up DR on Rud, but you don't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeginc
Which brings up a good point, really how important is having dual rates & expo's on your radio if I plan on doing some 3D flying in the future. Is it something that is really more required by "professional" 3D flyers? or is it something that I would use right away starting out (Sheesh, just reading that question again makes me feel like such a newb).

Currently, I stick to loops, rolls, etc. but definitely see myself progressing to 3D flying.

So if the DX6 isn't really recommended for that, then what is?

Perhaps a better question to ask would be...

For the money, what is the best radio for:

1) Normal park flying (DX6 sounds pretty good here)
2) 3D park flying
3) Long range flight (DX6 still sounding pretty good here too)

Am I going to be able to get a radio that can do what I want for < $300?
Rustykfd is offline Find More Posts by Rustykfd
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:21 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,070 Posts
You really can't go wrong with the DX6 if you are not flying sailplanes (really long range flights) and the biggies. If you can live without expo on rudder ( I don't use it, but some do) then I'd say the DX6 is for you. All 'good' Rx's are in the $60 range so the DX6 Rx's are right in the ball park. For $200 it's a good way to go. Oh, as for the battery, all the Tx's (Hitec and Spektrum) I have came with the lame '600mah' size pack. Easy enough to spend $22 or so for a 2000mah NiMh pack and fly a 'long' time ....

FWIW, all my flying is done up close (where I can see the plane), and never had a glitch in the three planes I've flown with it (Easy Star, MicroJet, Wright Flyer) to date. I really like the radio even though most of my flying is with an Eclipse 7 as I still have plenty of Rx's for it . If I could change over for 'free' I'd do it in a heartbeat!
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:21 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
I fly 3D with my Spectrum no problem. Expo on Rudder is for wimps. Just kidding. With a little time you will learn to fly 3D rudder without Expo. Just train your thumbs.

Love, Love my spectrum.

David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun