HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:53 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,190 Posts
..contact Lowes

..ask if they plan on following Wal-Mart and Home Depot into Canada....and if so bring this.....

Bill
retiredVTT is online now Find More Posts by retiredVTT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2002, 02:43 AM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,008 Posts
Bluecor...is that the insulation that you can gouge your fingernail in one way but not the other way? I mean does it have some sort of grain to it?
Xoltri is offline Find More Posts by Xoltri
Old Jul 27, 2002, 09:51 AM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Not exactly.

It has a little bit of a grain. but for the most part can be used in either direction. You can find out more here:

What is Fan-Fold Foam?

-Dan
Hippo is offline Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Jul 27, 2002, 11:54 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
I started out using Bluecor and had a lot of fun, but once I started using Zepron from www.airdyn.com I never have used Bluecor again. It comes in 1' x 2' sheets in three thicknesses and two types for $1 a sheet, minimum 25 sheets. One type is like McDonalds food packaging with the tough skin and the other is more like an ucooked version that can be shaped and cooked. If you look in the gallery there are at least four planes that I have made from Zepron, the last one being the Pushy G. I also use Depron. It is not as stiff as the tough skin version of Zepron and is better for forming into round fuselages and such.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:31 PM
Joined Apr 2002
4,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LenBFP
I started out using Bluecor and had a lot of fun, but once I started using Zepron from www.airdyn.com I never have used Bluecor again. It comes in 1' x 2' sheets in three thicknesses and two types for $1 a sheet, minimum 25 sheets. One type is like McDonalds food packaging with the tough skin and the other is more like an ucooked version that can be shaped and cooked. If you look in the gallery there are at least four planes that I have made from Zepron, the last one being the Pushy G. I also use Depron. It is not as stiff as the tough skin version of Zepron and is better for forming into round fuselages and such.

Len

Sounds good, are these two products easier to obtain than Bluecor?

Anyone know if they are available in Canada?

Bill
Old Jul 27, 2002, 04:47 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
AirDyn ships, but I don't know how hard it is to get it into Canada. I bought a nice receiver from Sky Hooks and Rigging, a Canadian firm so I know things can cross the border by post comming this way. I sent an email to airdyn asking about shipping to Canada. I will let you know the answer.

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/

Has a lot of sources listed and advice for tracking down substitutes.

When they package meat in grocery stores, do they put it in white plastic trays. Depron is often used for that. Sometimes you can buy them from the grocer. The McDonalds pancake packages are Depron.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Jul 27, 2002 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 07:53 PM
Joined Apr 2002
4,190 Posts
thanks...

..appreciate your assistance.....

your from the land of Hobby Hanger.....got a Scout from them a while back,not built yet. How far are you from Orlando?

Bill
Old Jul 27, 2002, 08:33 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
About an hour and 15 minnutes. I did buy some Depron from BCarter@icnet.com - he is located in Orlando. I believe he takes PayPal.

Len
Old Jul 27, 2002, 08:43 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Jul 2002
48 Posts
I'm with U Netforce2k

Hey netforce i feel your pain!
livin in toronto i got no bluecor in sight either.
Home Depot carries that compressed foam but that thing is HEAVY!!

Canadian Tire shouldn't even be called a hardware store!!!!!!!!!

I like u have looked everywhere.....
...and i don't want to mail order... the shipping charges would probably cost more than the foam
i decided to settle for less tho
bought some foam used for insuation in homes it's ok stuff not the best but it is light, lightest i could find
Got it from Rona Lansing
haven't started building with it yet tho
xlzerolx is offline Find More Posts by xlzerolx
Old Jul 28, 2002, 08:51 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Apr 2002
172 Posts
Yeah well, thats what I'm using too... its just a bit harder/longer to work with when you want to make complex shapes and round fuse... 1" blue foam is as thin as I can find here, can't be heat formed unless you have an industrial oven ;-) which would be easier to find around here !!!

Anyways, I've called a couple of other places, siding stores and wood floor shop... they're not using that stuff, they didn't even know about it. Everytime I explained them what it is I get the exact same answer... "1/4" inch insulation ? You wont insulate anything with that"... GRRRrrr !!!

Whats the most discouraging is every new threads about new Bluecor projects I read and how I see people working with this stuff...

So please people in sympathy for us, could you ALL and I mean EVERYONE on the board, stop buying / working Bluecor ??? Hehehe, naaaaahhh, nevermind, I've started to lose it !
NetForce2K is offline Find More Posts by NetForce2K
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:03 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
I received a reply from Gabe at airdyn.com and he said shipping Zepron to Canada is no problem.

Len
Old Jul 29, 2002, 08:53 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,156 Posts
GET ORGANIZED

why not see if any body is planning a vacation in beautiful Canada, soon , they could arrange to meet you , perhaps have some coffee or a few beers, Ehh! and bring you a bundle , why depend on pricy shipping companies? Friends help friends! You could run a thread like....would anybody like to come to Canada and bring me some fanfold????whats'so hard about that???????
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 13, 2002, 06:43 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Jul 2002
48 Posts
Other materials

Alright, This one's for Netforce2k

If u (like me) have completely given up on foam, try cardboard or cloroplast

I saw an article in RCM "for what it's worth" book on an entire plane built from cardboard

Check out these links as well:

http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/

http://www.rcfly.8m.com/

i just started building with cardboard to see how it will turn out

Good luck to ya!
xlzerolx is offline Find More Posts by xlzerolx
Old Aug 13, 2002, 08:19 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,156 Posts
sturdyboard at the art supply

try Beingfang "sturdyboard"..soak off the paper...depron or close
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:59 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
8 Posts
Blucore and Depron 6mm Foam in Canada

I used to fly the gas planes over 20 years ago and left the hobby due to the sheer expense involved. After looking at some things on youtube and seeing foamies / electric planes take a huge place in this hobby, I decided to get back into this hobby and make my own foamies (It's been awhile but I figure it'll be great fun just to get back into it).

Here is what I have learned about Bluecore and Depron foams:

They are both used as insulative foam in construction. Now, here's why it's not carried in Canada: It DOES NOT meet code requirements in Canada so no-one in the construction industry in Canada will buy it if it does not meet code and cannot be used (Remember, stores stock products based on demand).

SO, because it does not meet code and cannot be used by the industry it is intended for, it will not be carried in stores like Home depot in Canada. However, in my quest to locate this elusive beast (6mm Depron) in Canada, I have stumbled on an unconfirmed location as yet in St-Bruno, Quebec that may stock it.

They have a website that is undergoing updates (And it's in french from what I can tell. Sorry for that but it's not my site...) at http://www.letambourin.com/ . I'm hoping to get out to the location in person (It's about 20 minutes drive from me) within the next couple of weeks to confirm it.

I'll try to get an update as soon as possible. Hang in there folks, there may be a supplier in Quebec...
Argonath is offline Find More Posts by Argonath