SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:05 PM
Wake up and smell the veg
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Discussion
Next model after aileron trainer?

I was wondering what model would people recommend after mastering an aileron trainer?
norite is offline Find More Posts by norite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:52 PM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
Norite,

Seems like you have a great number of choices available to you
if you feel confident with a high wing aileron plane. As I understand it the next step in difficulty would be a low wing aeleron plane like a Mountain Models Switchback. I guess it just all depends on how you lik e to fly and what you like to see in the air (Scale, Sport, foam, balsa, etc).
pac ace is offline Find More Posts by pac ace
Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:45 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,731 Posts
http://www.espritmodel.com/l_mini_ultra_stick.html

This plane also has a float kit from E-flite
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:35 PM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
890 Posts
I went straight to the GWS Corsair after my aileron trainer. All the dings and cracks in the foam are proof....
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:26 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Mini-Ultra-Sticks are great! But there's no float kit, that's for the 25e stick. the GWS Formosa is also good and a tremendous value.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:47 PM
Just call me .... Bill
Greenville/Anderson area of SC
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
I went to the Super Zoom. Nicely aerobatic full epp and it has a float kit as an option.
Solid Hit is offline Find More Posts by Solid Hit
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:09 PM
Smashes Things
Montpelier, VA
Joined Feb 2005
2,400 Posts
You could make the leap to almost anywhere. I went to GWS Formosa then Corsair. But after I went to SA Groove (balsa) I wish I would have done that first! It depends on how much you will wreck.

Typ
RCTyp is offline Find More Posts by RCTyp
Old Jun 27, 2006, 06:34 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,731 Posts
I saw the float kit at my LHS. E-flite show a picture of the UltraStick with the floats attached. I think the floats were around $55
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Jun 27, 2006, 06:53 AM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Thanks. I have five flights so far with a multiplex minimag, and about 50-60 with a Ripmax Zephyr (no ailerons). I already have a GWS Mustang, which I've flown once - went into the ground after too steep a turn, but it wasn't badly damaged, and has been repaired. I was thinking of having another go with the mustang in a few months, and with an experienced flyer standing next to me ready to grab the controls in case something goes wrong.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:01 AM
England
Joined Jun 2006
43 Posts
Well, I was reading an article where someone wanted a new plane after getting used to their aileron trainer. However, the general concensus was that the person should fully master their aileron trainer first - i.e be able to complete a large range of stunts competetently - before upgrading. This seems to be the case here, as I do not believe in 5 flights you have mastered flight with ailerons. Therefore, I would advise you to keep flying your minimag until you can do more stunts, as then the progression to a more advanced aeroplane would be smoother and more enjoyable (as the stunts that had to be done on the trainer can be "enhanced" on the new plane).
Tinky-Winky is offline Find More Posts by Tinky-Winky
Old Jun 28, 2006, 02:53 PM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky-Winky
Well, I was reading an article where someone wanted a new plane after getting used to their aileron trainer. However, the general concensus was that the person should fully master their aileron trainer first - i.e be able to complete a large range of stunts competetently - before upgrading. This seems to be the case here, as I do not believe in 5 flights you have mastered flight with ailerons. Therefore, I would advise you to keep flying your minimag until you can do more stunts, as then the progression to a more advanced aeroplane would be smoother and more enjoyable (as the stunts that had to be done on the trainer can be "enhanced" on the new plane).
Rest assured, i won't. As i said earlier, it'll be at least a few months before I trythr mustang, and when I do, I'll have an experienced flyer next to me. I've already started doing stunts with my minimag, now that I'm used to it...