HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2006, 01:30 AM
Suspended Account
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
1,836 Posts
Discussion
My 2 Castle 80 ESC's don't seem to work together with 2 Brushless motors

There seems to be a problem with the ESC's,,, I first connected everything up and tested on the bench with no problems before i put the gear in my EDF A-10, then i did a bit of taxi tests and range checks all fine and dandy, then when i taxied out to do the Maiden one of the motors shut down, so i did some trouble shooting and came up with this conclusion. Each motor runs perfect when i disconnect one of the ESC's from the system, but when they are both hooked up it just doenst work right (ESC disconnected from the Y harness durring trouble shooting), i can't get full power first off, and the motors do not sync up at all they operate at random low power ranges with no regards to the throttle stick, basicaly i move the throttle stick and i have no control. Funny they seemed to work fine when i first tested the set up but that was for a 6 minute run up to test everything, then today at the field this happens. Anyone have some input on this? My set up is a Tanic 5000mah 20-30C 6series Lipo which has 2 sets of Deans plugs meaning that one controller is hooked up to the battery and then a few seconds later i hook up the second controller, 2 Mega 22/30/2 motors and 2 Castle Creations 80 ESC's hooked up with a Y harness and the red pins on the ESC connector to the Y harness are pulled to dissable the BEC since i'm using a reciever pack. All the components mentions are Brand Spankin New.

The one thing i do notice is that when i plug in the ESC's,,, the left ESC's beeps just fine, and the other one has a very weak beeping, barely audible.

Gene
kriptonic is offline Find More Posts by kriptonic
Last edited by kriptonic; Jun 25, 2006 at 01:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2006, 01:58 AM
Fly it like you own it.
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
369 Posts
The CC ESC does a very weak barely audible beep when there is no signal attached. I've had my Thunderbird and HV ESC's do that when I forget to hook up the receiver. LOL

Maybe check your Signal connections.
_Pattern_Man is offline Find More Posts by _Pattern_Man
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:13 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
You may have a bad Y harness.

I assume both esc's are programmed exactly the same?

Weak beeping can mean a bad conection to the motor. Check all those lead too. Are any error codes flashing on the esc's?

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:47 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry3215
You may have a bad Y harness.
Larry
That is a very good possibility. A club mate recently tracked a poorly operating nose gear steering servo to a bad Y harness. It would operate, but erratically. When he switched the servos around on the harness, then one of the rudder servos would act up. Each servo functioned OK when used seperately without the Y harness. It was complicated because he had 2 rudder servos and a seperate nose gear steering servo and was using a Y harness, into a Y harness, into the receiver.
Dave
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old Jun 25, 2006, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
1,836 Posts
The Y harness was working fine when i was doing bench checks.

Well i was doing some more testing, and i connected each side of the system independanty and they work fine (disconnected one ESC at a time from the end of the Y harness), then i connected the Y harness to test it out again and plug in the battery, with no throttle applied one of the ESC's burnt out, melted at the mosfets on the board. So now i'm like and there is only 2 weeks till the anual electric fun fly here in los angeles at the Basin. I will be calling Castle tomarow morining as well as Mega Motors just to see what they say.

Gene
Last edited by kriptonic; Jun 25, 2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:09 PM
Suspended Account
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
1,836 Posts
Here is a link to video i shot of what the damn thing was doing.

http://rcbar.com/Video/badrunup.wmv

Gene
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:56 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Something is wierd with your setup.

When you plug in the first pack it did 6 beeps on auto lipo detect. When you pluged in the second pack it only did 3 beeps?

Larry
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:58 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Can you do a drawing of how the packs are wired?

Larry
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:59 PM
Suspended Account
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
1,836 Posts
It did 6 beeps.

Gene
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:01 PM
Suspended Account
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
1,836 Posts
It doesn't matter, one of the ESC's burnt up, and all i did was plug it into the battery.

Gene
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:11 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
When I listen to the video - the first plug in you get 6 beeps. On the second plug in you only get 3 beeps after the wierd start up thing.

You may have burned up the esc because of how you did the wireing and its not an esc fault at all. Thats why I was asking about the wireing diagram or a picture would do.

Larry
Old Jun 26, 2006, 01:58 AM
Schipperskerk, The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2001
374 Posts
When I read this correct, you have one batterie pack that you connect 2 controllers to. If this is the case than that is the problem. Use for each controller a different batterypack and the problem is gone.
Theo coenen is offline Find More Posts by Theo coenen
Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:12 PM
Fly it like you own it.
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo coenen
When I read this correct, you have one batterie pack that you connect 2 controllers to. If this is the case than that is the problem. Use for each controller a different batterypack and the problem is gone.

There is nothing wrong with properly "Y"ing 2 ESC's into 1 pack so long as the pack is an appropriate discharge rating and voltage.

Running 2 separate packs is a bad idea. Although you should be landed by the time the packs are drained, if you aren't, then most likely 1 pack will discharge faster than the other and one esc and motors will cut out before the other.
Also, even if the packs are identical, the motors most likely won't run exactly the same. I'd prefer to use 1 pack and have the fans in sync.
_Pattern_Man is offline Find More Posts by _Pattern_Man
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:49 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Pattern_Man
There is nothing wrong with properly "Y"ing 2 ESC's into 1 pack so long as the pack is an appropriate discharge rating and voltage.

Running 2 separate packs is a bad idea. Although you should be landed by the time the packs are drained, if you aren't, then most likely 1 pack will discharge faster than the other and one esc and motors will cut out before the other.
Also, even if the packs are identical, the motors most likely won't run exactly the same. I'd prefer to use 1 pack and have the fans in sync.
I agree. Ive run several set ups that way and they work fine.

There is something strange going on here, but thats not it

Larry
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:19 PM
Suspended Account
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
1,836 Posts
I talked to the Castle Rep and they are sending me another controller, but then i also removed the second nacell to check the motor and ESC there, and saw a little burnt area on the PC board of that Controller too........ So i have to call Castle up again tomarow.

Gene