HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:20 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,841 Posts
Build Log
R.c.s. Olympic

Hello all! Welcome to my build log for the new R.C.S. OLYMPIC/TITANIC/BRITANNIC. This unique 3-in-1 model began construction when the keel was laid at 8:00 this morning. As you will see in these pictures, she has made tremendous progress in her first day. The pictures you are going to see represent a mere 6 hours of work. When I arrived to start today, she did not exist in any form. I hadn't put the first blade-to-cardboard.

In the next 6 hours, she went from that to a fiberglassed, sanded, painted hull, ready to have her electronics installed. I even built the motor mounts for her electric motors!

The OLYMPIC (as I call her now) is going to be in the same scale as my R.C.S. RAFFAELLO Itallian ocean liner (on my website). She measures 59 inches long. Roughly 6 inches wide.

Like so many ships before her in the Green Sea fleet, she features new innovations, changing the way I build ships.

For example, she is the first of my ships to feature hull texturing! You can see how I use strips of polyurethaned paper to create the feel of hull plating. While not the best hull plating you will see, it is nevertheless an innovation for me.

Her rudder incorporates a new bent-axis shaft designed to prevent the rudder from separating from the shaft.

Also- she will feature an interior hull designed to look like a real ship's engine room!

OLYMPIC is progressing very quickly, and I anticipate having her ready for motor trials tommorrow- only a day after her keel laying!!!! For me, that is unprecedented!

The race is finally on. A race with my previous fastest build, the USS Amos Hathaway (2 weeks).

Please stay tuned for future updates in the coming days.

Barrett Harmon Hochhaus
diamondback78@hotmail.com
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
Last edited by greenseaships; Jun 24, 2006 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Picture caption
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:43 PM
Joined Jun 2006
246 Posts
WOW, I'm not even going to try to compete with that speed. HaHa. Mine took 2-3 months to get in the water, yours looks like it is going to take 2 days. I cant wait to see this one done. The hull plating came out nice, I'll do it like that on the Andrea Doria. You think you can have her finished in a Week? Hopefully! How much do you plan on detailing the inside? You could make boilers if there is enough room. That is cool. With no ribs, you could almost make all rooms and decks. Your's is probably about 1/250 scale, or close to it, mine is 107 inches long, 1/100.

-Ed
olympic class is offline Find More Posts by olympic class
Last edited by olympic class; Jun 24, 2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,139 Posts
Dude, you must drink coffee, energy drinks, and Coke all at the same time. lol....

You work very fast!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:45 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,397 Posts
too cool
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:01 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Hee hee, must be something in the air in the desert South West, that doesn't quite make it here to California, Kmot- Hard to know who builds faster, Barrett or Pat Tritle in New Mexico!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:27 PM
Cedar Glen, CA
Joined Jan 2006
228 Posts
And look how neat this guy is! If I did that much work in six hours, there would be piles of junk laying around everywhere. And probably a little bit of blood here and there decorating the hull Good job Barrett
Bob
Bob Starr is offline Find More Posts by Bob Starr
Old Jun 25, 2006, 01:37 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,841 Posts
schedule

I probably can't get her done in a week. Once I hit the upper deck detailing, things will slow quite a bit. Also, I am going to Vegas July 2-4, so that'll throw a monkey wrench on it. I am just gonna count the actual working days, since I worked on the Hathaway every day till she was done.

BHH
Old Jun 25, 2006, 06:53 AM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,397 Posts
this is gonna be a neat one,, cant wait,, to see it, dont loose your rc funding at vegas hahah
mike
Old Jun 25, 2006, 01:01 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Really inspired work there, Barrett. Looking forward to more progress pics.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Jun 25, 2006, 06:29 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,841 Posts
Olympic Sails!

Hello again from Green Sea Shipbuilding. As anticipated, the new R.C.S. OLYMPIC began her Motor Trials at Chapparral Lake in Scottsdale, following 2 and a half hours of electrical work!

On a technical note, she is one FAST ship for a single-channel boat. I believe she will wind up beating the Raffaello in an upcoming race of the 2 finished ships. Of course, KAGA will still beat them both. Still, I was suprised today when I first let her go. She went BAM and I couldn't even get the camera ready until she was yards away.

Below you will find some of today's highlights. You may notice her speed from how high the water piles up on her bow. Please enjoy and look forward to future highlights as I install the decks and begin detailing the superstructure!

Barrett Hochhaus
diamondback78@hotmail.com
Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:34 PM
Joined Jun 2006
246 Posts
The construction speed is amazing. The aerial shot is my favorite. How many ships have you built like this (both rc and static), and what ship was your first? The interiors are going to be cool.

-Ed
olympic class is offline Find More Posts by olympic class
Last edited by olympic class; Jun 25, 2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:00 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,397 Posts
wow that wasfast!! to amazing work!!, looks like it moving right along,, too, are you going to get that race n video
mike
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:53 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,841 Posts
Olympic construction

Things certainly are progressing very well for the Olympic. Already I have her decks in place up to A deck, as I go to bed Sunday night. Tommorrow, I hope to get started on the walls of B deck and maybe even A deck promanade.

In reply to Ed- I have probably built 100-150 cardboard ships overall since I was 9 years old (I am 28 now). My first, of course, would have been the Titanic. When I got into the Titanic (back in 1986) she was the only ship I even knew.

Reguarding the interior detail all I can say is; you have no idea!

Reguarding the race, I may or may not video it. I don't even know how to upload it to the internet.

I am hoping to be done with B and A deck detail by Wednsday. Wish me luck!

Barrett Hochhaus
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:14 AM
Irregular... need..fiber!
a snazzy little suburb of L.A. called Encino
Joined Jul 2005
403 Posts
Great job...
(btw nice Lum) ;-)
Harry
HorribleHarry is offline Find More Posts by HorribleHarry
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:06 AM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,397 Posts
sweeet, i think ill be saveing the boxes at work now,, one flat side is around 4x7 or so,
mike