HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2006, 10:27 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatovalguy
By the way I'm working on small yard fliers and having a blast, Almost brainless fun. And yes I know 3d could be considered yard fliers but these are true fliers not hoverers. All fly great on the IPS motor and a 3020 prop 2 servos and 340/400 2 cell battery.

Any plans that might be shared? I also love the small-yard stuff. One of my first electrics was a lite stick and I always enjoyed dodging trees, roofline, telephone pole, etc.

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2006, 11:23 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
uproar, in due time.

Well it took a little time to figure it all out but its coming along well. Its 40.1 grams at this point so I'm happy, (1.4oz). Oh it is the 30" version.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Jul 04, 2006, 11:40 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Now I almost wish I hadn't committed to the carbon flat on the leading and trailing edge of the main wing. It was a tick oversized so I had to trim it dowm to 3mm. Well while I was at it and had the width done I got the bright idea to taper the thickness from .8mm at the root to .5mm at the tip, saves weight, yeh right, but I did it, don't ask how, just believe, and its not fun. Than glueing it onto the foam and making sure no warps, what a pain. I used the same flat for the elevator hinge line too, no taper, lot easier. But in the end its vary strong. Well now back to getting the carbon dust out of my fingers.
Old Jul 04, 2006, 11:47 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Dunno guys... Most of the pictures I see look like they were laser cut kits. My foamies routinely look like they've already been crashed before they leave the cutting table.

I guess I'm rushing things, but I keep reading how everyone builds these things so quickly. Maybe it's just experience, knowledge, etc. but I think I might do better w/ a wire cutting table saw. Gonna have to finalize the 'power' to the shed so I can start using my cutter. Hopefully that'll make for some prettier planes. Right now I'd be embarrased to post what I've got unless I put the 'blur' filter on it, or take the picture from 20 feet away.

Oh well... Will try again tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

-mike s.
Old Jul 04, 2006, 11:59 PM
Lake In The Hills, Il
Joined Jun 2005
359 Posts
uproar,
An old tip I found very helpfull,
Drag your blade over a sharping stone before each cut. I think it cuts better then a new blade.
As far as everybody else building these so quickly.... well I haven't got that one down yet either.
windy city
windy city is offline Find More Posts by windy city
Old Jul 05, 2006, 12:11 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
windy city - thanks for the reminder. Will go dig out my #11 sharpener.

Check this one out folks... www.edjer.com - you can email the gentleman (don't remember his name off-hand) from the website, or call him @ 951-925-2344.

This is a #11 sharpener. I bought the arkansas stone and the diamond stone for $30.50 shipped.

-mike s.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 12:17 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Quick, I'm already bored. Use to be I'd have had it done and flown by now.

Anyway I use an exacto knife and a new blade on every plane if not 2. A box of 100 blades don't last long. And when cutting this carbon flat it takes many blades. Use to use a stone but it makes the build take longer.

Hey just go at your own pace and it will all come together in time. Most of us have been building planes of all types of material for years. Try fabing in steel, makes this seem like nothing. I use to engineer and fab machines and parts in the conveyor industry almost as fast.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 05:44 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Oh,ewo, I see you didn't forget.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 06:56 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Told ya im gonna like this plane ! ;-)

Looks great TOG. you shouldnt have no problems

I put all the electrics underneath to combat that tall fin& rudder
I made my rudder 3/4 " wider than the plans, i will be cutting that off................
It just dont need it !

Took it to work And flew it But forgot the camera so no pictures from work (BUT)
Got some when we got home

Inverted is great and hovers like a champ........ But the killer in my book, the thing i like the most is it knife edges forever almost hands off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heres some pics............

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Old Jul 05, 2006, 07:07 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Gene.
I got the pm. Thanks, That info is gonna be verry usefull verry soon.........

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Old Jul 06, 2006, 06:10 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
I'm stuck at the moment on the build trying to put together a motor that will fit the bill for this one. I brought home a motor last night that I build a yr ago and burnt out so to rewind, and I will but looking over the data I jotted down on it its just short of what I want. So I have a few motors at work that are the right weight but wrong Kv from the rejected bin. With a rewind and that they have a tic bigger stator, this should put me right where I want to be power wise and weight wise.
Old Jul 06, 2006, 06:32 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Is this bettern' the AMMO ???
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 06, 2006, 10:05 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Just a differant horse, gpw, same stable.
Old Jul 07, 2006, 06:01 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
TOG , the boys are all waitin' for a better "ride"....I've been extremely happy with the "old stuff"...but we wore all of them out ....too much FUN !!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 07, 2006, 06:18 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Ya kno there all the same, ya build um, fly um, crash um and build some more. Once you find the sweet spot on these things in the design relm, from that point on there all great performers.