HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:35 AM
Kalamaki, Greece
Joined Mar 2004
317 Posts
can't set cells for nimh or nicd from what i remember (my triton is only used as a backup for a few months now).
Just set a low charging voltage in nicd or nimh, around 0.1- 0.2 amps and when the voltage gets up to what 3S should have as a minimum, switch to 3S lipo charging.
I've done this one or two times and got good results. Always be careful though for possible fire or swelling.
thenetpoet is offline Find More Posts by thenetpoet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:09 PM
so i rewired it...
Mountain View CA USA
Joined Jun 2006
898 Posts
My friend told me not to put a 3s in my Easy Glider Electric -- that the stock motor would fry. Perhaps you overheated/shorted the motor? Leading to a hot battery?
xorbe is offline Find More Posts by xorbe
Old Jul 04, 2006, 11:42 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2002
137 Posts
Hey all,
Been quite busy here & haven't been around the forums.
Thanks to all who gave very helpful advice;it worked...for awhile.The pack charged off/on over a couple of days or more as I could.While charging as a nicad @ 200mah(days)the voltage went to 10.5v.I then was able to reset the triton to lipo 3s & have the charger accept it & proceed with the charge.This went on for some time until one of my routine checks revealed BALLOON CITY!!
I need not post any pic but let me just say...any more ballooned would be exploded!

The pack remains under a pyrex dish(and rock)laying on the moist black soil of a flowerbed until I brush-up on the proper puncture/salt-soak procedure.

I now have to deal with this pack & replace it with a "lesser"pack as this one was $100
Heck,at that price I can replace it with TWO "lesser"packs!

Xorbe,

You &/or your friend may be onto something with that motor crap-out theory.I knew the stock400 would not last long on 3s but I was thinking longer than the less than 15 flights I got...nevermind that it would take my best lipo with it!!
I never even put it on my meter or anything so I was maybe a little careless with it.

I guess now this means I get to try one of my Axi's on it!

Thanks again all.

Regards,
M.Q.
miamiquasar is online now Find More Posts by miamiquasar
Old Jul 05, 2006, 08:33 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,290 Posts
Puncture/salt water is a NO-NO.

From Aircraft World:

Handling Cautions: .......................................
Although environmentally friendly, lithium polymer cells must be FULLY discharged before disposal. Use a resistor setup (light bulbs, for example) to accomplish this, to avoid the possibility of a short-induced fire after disposal
Immediately discharge damaged batteries at 1/2 C rate and dispose

Take care that the cells are not punctured, especially by metallic objects like hobby knives.
http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...liposafety.htm
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy