HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:58 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2002
137 Posts
Discussion
UGHH,I just ruined my TP2100 3s gen2?

Hey all,
I just thought I'd drop in to see who would like to give me the bad news first...
I flew my Easyglider about an hour ago with the stock motor/prop/gearbox & the above battery.I flew for 35mins of climbing(1-2min)and gliding.Not alot of full throttle.I was setting up the landing when I noticed a drastic drop in power & upon landing the pack was (just-about)too hot to hold.It has been sitting in my patio rocks covered by a clay flowerpot since landing.It is not puffed or malformed in any way but the voltage even now is only 7.35V.!!

I'm not even going to charge it tonight.

O.k...Please someone tell me what I've come to hear

Thanks in advance.

M.Q.
miamiquasar is offline Find More Posts by miamiquasar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:21 PM
Dont roffle my waffle
USA, CA, Tustin
Joined Mar 2003
798 Posts
I heard dont let it sit to long undercharge.. Just charge it very very slowly but Definately dont take my word for it
NoMercy is offline Find More Posts by NoMercy
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:57 PM
"Fix it till it's Broken"
Irvine, CA
Joined Jun 2006
348 Posts
Ya thats what charles recommends. He's done it even saved a 3S that was at like 2 volts.
65535 is offline Find More Posts by 65535
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:58 PM
Sydney, Oz.
Joined Mar 2006
441 Posts
Yep, charge it now... if its sat for 2 hours, hasn't puffed/exploded then get it into recovery asap.
Charge it up slowly (200mah maybe?) and dont take your eyes off it!
Once the voltage is back above 11.1v (if it gets there) then you can increase the charge rate.
HPSOV is offline Find More Posts by HPSOV
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:24 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2002
137 Posts
Thanks guys,
I will charge the pack but not tonight.It's after 11pm.& the charge will take hours...not practical tonight.I will charge it this weekend though.I also noticed just now checking back here(the quite-hot pack had me scrambling to post before searching/reading earlier) that there's a post also today regarding exactly my troubles I expect.I will go read it now as well.

Wish me a lucky charge,

M.Q.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:29 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
I had a Kokam pack sit in a tree for 2 days(yes,it was powered up) with under 3 volts showing after sitting a bit(when it fell from the tree).......almost just pitched it in the trash.
Charged slowly and cycled on my triton a few times and it was still a FULL powerhouse with great voltage retention and amp rating!
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:29 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,750 Posts
I salvaged a 3S pack that was at zero and under H2O for 11 hours plugged into an ESC. Not advisable but I am so tight that I squeak...
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:33 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiquasar
Thanks guys,
I will charge the pack but not tonight.It's after 11pm.& the charge will take hours...not practical tonight.I will charge it this weekend though.I also noticed just now checking back here(the quite-hot pack had me scrambling to post before searching/reading earlier) that there's a post also today regarding exactly my troubles I expect.I will go read it now as well.

Wish me a lucky charge,

M.Q.
Just put it on charge till the voltage is at or above 11.1volts than leave it........leaving that li/po chemistry without its needed voltage is probably more dangerous....
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:19 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2002
137 Posts
Good morning folks,
I just checked the pack again,no swelling etc,voltage at 7.36(up from 7.35...).I brought charger etc.outside onto patio rocks to charge(my usual practice)only to find that again & again the triton kicks out after a couple of minutes with "battery voltage too low" error.Will adjusting the sensitivity etc get around this? I also have an eflite celectra to try but figured the triton to be my best bet.

Later,

M.Q.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:18 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2002
137 Posts
Hey again,
I searched & read some advice given for just this case.Following this advice;I am charging the pack as a 2cell @ 1A(although it only seems to be charging at .1A).The pack has been charging for 90min or so & is up to 7.6V(+/-)from 7.35V.What I read also suggests charging the pack as per normal rate once it reaches 11.1V using the above method.Reaching 11.1v will take a long time at this rate!In fact I will have to terminate the charge soon as we have to leave to prepare for my B-day festivities!(YAAAaay...Hoby-shop gift cards!! ).

Later,

M.Q.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:22 PM
Brit in NZ
NZ
Joined Sep 2005
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiquasar
Good morning folks,
I just checked the pack again,no swelling etc,voltage at 7.36(up from 7.35...).I brought charger etc.outside onto patio rocks to charge(my usual practice)only to find that again & again the triton kicks out after a couple of minutes with "battery voltage too low" error.Will adjusting the sensitivity etc get around this?
Tell the Triton that it is a 5 cell Lead acid until the voltage is high enough to charge as a LiPo (9-10V).

HTH

Rod
RC-Tester is offline Find More Posts by RC-Tester
Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:25 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Set your Triton to NiCD and 0.2 amps.
Monitor the voltage rise.
When the voltage is about 10.5 volts, disconnect.
Set the Triton up for a 3 cell lithium at 1.5 amps or less.

Keep a close eye on the pack and charger.

NOTE: I am not suggesting that a Ni charger can be used to charge lthiums. Only that if precautions are taken, it can be used to bring the voltage up to a point where the lithium charger recognizes it.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:32 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2002
137 Posts
Hey again all,
Thanks again for the ideas.The last advice netted only partial results.I set the triton for 2 cell & 1A.It charged this way ALL DAY saturday until late at night when the triton beeped it's happy "full pack" chimes.The charger now thinks a 2 cell pack is fully charged I guess...@ 8.12V.The triton of course will not charge the pack as a proper 3cell except for the 2 min@.1A it will allow before "voltage too low" again & again.

You have now given me some more ideas to try-out...wish me continued luck right.
I'll let you know...

regards,
M.Q.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 08:52 PM
"Fix it till it's Broken"
Irvine, CA
Joined Jun 2006
348 Posts
Use a nimh or nicd setting I would use a nimh setting myself.Set the charge rate to .2 amps set the cell count to 9S ni and charge it until the voltage is 11.1V even better if you have an lba6 wich will terminate charge since a ni setting won't detect the peak of a lithium cell since there isn;t such a thing.
65535 is offline Find More Posts by 65535
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:53 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535
Use a nimh or nicd setting I would use a nimh setting myself.Set the charge rate to .2 amps set the cell count to 9S ni and charge it until the voltage is 11.1V even better if you have an lba6 wich will terminate charge since a ni setting won't detect the peak of a lithium cell since there isn;t such a thing.
Hmmm, can you do that with a Triton in Ni mode? Set the cell count?

Set it for Ni, 0.2 amps, watch the voltage. At 10.5 volts, charge as a 3 cell LiPo.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3