Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:47 PM
SteveO
Cambridge Ont.Canada
Joined Mar 2006
69 Posts
Question
Italian Supertigre s61k abc Help please

This engine is at least 14yrs. old but was new in the box(I bought it new) I've broken it in. The High speed needle works fine. Cannot move the low speed adjustment screw.
I don't want to force it. It just rotates along with the throttle barrel. I think that's probably normal But I can't seem to adjust it without the barrel moving along with it.
How tight should this be? Does it have "click" stops?
Can I soak the carb assembly in something?
Any help and all replys appreciated.
Thanks everybody!
Regards
SteveO
steveorbst is offline Find More Posts by steveorbst
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:39 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
I assume you have tried to slightly "force" to rotate the low end adjustment screw while holding the throttle barrel in the open postion ?

CAUTION: do not try to rotate CW while the throttle barrel is in the closed position.

Remove the throttle arm from the throttle barrel.
Remove the throttle stop screw from the carburettor housing (the one on top), and pull the throttle barrel away from the carburettor housing.

CAUTION: Do not loose the small spring that sits inside the carburettor housing, between the throttle barrel end and the carburettor housing.

Soak the throttle barrel subassembly in some special oil that will loosen the "low end" needle screw.
(For some reason, I can not remember the name of that specific oil, but it is used to loosen "rusted on" screws and bolts).

After you can rotate the screw inside the throttle barrel, replace all the parts in the reverse order of how you took them off.

For adjustment procedure of the low end needle, see the "Sticky" of initial adjustments in the Engine Section.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:29 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
OR, you could just try heating the whole thing up with a hairdryer, or even in the oven (Carefully) to just about too hot to touch. This usually loosens things that've been sitting forever.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:52 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
If I remember right, the S61K has the low needle recessed into a tube on the throttle barrel. You might also check to make sure the tube isn't tweaked or bent a little. That would cause the screw to be very tight.

Also, the low needle has a small o-ring, if you soak it in something to loosen it up, you may want to just replace the o-ring. After 14 yrs it may leak a bit anyway.

Duke
Dukester is offline Find More Posts by Dukester
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:30 PM
SteveO
Cambridge Ont.Canada
Joined Mar 2006
69 Posts
Thanks Duke, You do remember correctly. Every thing was sealed up pretty good for 14+ yrs but somethings either stuck or I'm being way too gentle with it.
Appreciate the help.
SteveO
Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:03 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
If you decide to try and use more force, make sure you use a screwdriver the right size for the slot. The needles are not all that hard and you have to be careful not to damage the slot. Might just try running a heat gun or hair dryer on it to heat it up some and then see if you can get it to turn. If its just gummed up the heat may help.

Duke
Old Jul 01, 2006, 05:48 PM
SteveO
Cambridge Ont.Canada
Joined Mar 2006
69 Posts
Took it apart today, It's been soaking in "Break Free"
It's starting to loosen up. We'll see what happens next.
Thanks everybody I'll keep you posted.
SteveO
Old Jul 02, 2006, 01:40 PM
SteveO
Cambridge Ont.Canada
Joined Mar 2006
69 Posts
It Runs!!! Idle down to 2300rpm with an 11x7 prop
Transition to full WOT no coughing or sputtering., Even after 5 min idle.
Special thanks to Indoruwet&Dukester, And Homebrewer for the settings seminar.
You guys are the best!!
SteveO
Old Jul 02, 2006, 03:03 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
Glad you got it running. ST's are sometimes a bit finicky on the transition. After you get it broken in well if you start to have any trouble with a transition, you may find that running the idle needle just a bit lean may help clean it up.

I had 3 of the S61K (2 ringed & 1 ABC) and one of the 90s ringed, and all three of the ringed engines liked a bit leaner idle.

Duke
Old Jul 02, 2006, 03:36 PM
SteveO
Cambridge Ont.Canada
Joined Mar 2006
69 Posts
Thanks Duke, I got real lucky, I set the screw using the fuel line "Blow Method" from Homebrewers sticky.Did not need to adjust it after that.
She's still a little stiffer than I'd Like But at least it can be adjusted. Fortunatly, I have a very complete set of Brownell's screw driver bits or this thing would have been toast for sure.
I bet the flying in Texas is fantastic! Thanks again for your help and advice, It is certainly appreciated.
Regards
SteveO
Old Jul 03, 2006, 02:20 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
Sounds good. Nothing like getting an engine that just runs right.

Duke