HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2007, 05:40 AM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Ok, thanks.

I should take some pics of the disassembled Neptune to show you, in order to discuss the servo splitting and Russ's camera installation. It will take some days for the new photos.

By now, I noted that front and rear bulkheads are exactly the same, but turned on the axis by 180 from each other.
The two smaller holes on each bulkhead are identical, for a total of four usable waterproof joints.
In the actual design 2 of them are used for servo levers and 2 for switches, but they might be 3 servos + 1 switch (for both sub and camera) or even 4 servos and no switch (magnetic switch preferred).
The latter solution will allow to have two separate depht planes servos and also external ballast shifting, as Andy suggested.

Now I have to show you the pics. Hi,

Ocean's One
Ocean's One is offline Find More Posts by Ocean's One
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2007, 06:11 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
Magnetic switches available from Engel or Norbert-

http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalo...a571982b185cf5

Or you can make your own fairly cheaply. Changeover relays can be a bit of a hassle to source.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:28 AM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Tks Andy

This will be useful as soon as I start working on my own Neptune.
By now, I'll use again my friend's sub whithin some day. New pics will come.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:06 AM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Ok the Neptune has arrived! Bit of a turn up really, unknowingly to me the missus had traced one down and reserved it so picked it up today. Looking through the box i was astounded by the quality of the kit, this is one mean piece of engineering, everything is solid and precision. I have posted a couple of pics to show after i opened the box, a comprehensive set of instructions and every part is numbered in the index which is good for replacement parts.
RP6705 is offline Find More Posts by RP6705
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Started to build up the WTC for the Neptune this weekend, i have attached some pictures showing how the main front and rear flanges are made up then the outer frame was built up, then the pump,electronics,pressure sensor etc were installed.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 03:52 AM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Russ,

Finally, you got it!

I agree this model is a nice piece of engineering.
I already had the impression that the Neptune is well designed, but I saw the finished model only, with no occasion to disassemble it yet.
Now, your pictures confirm my idea: the parts look accurate, sharp, fitting well into each other. Also the detailed instructions are above common standards, aren't they?

Please, go on and keep us updated about your activity!
________

At this point, it's clear that you don't need my photos any more.
I took some pics of the front flange to help you install your camera, but now they are useless. You have your model to work on...

Hi
Ocean's
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
RTF only for now!!!
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Mar 2007
332 Posts
Russ or Ocean's,

Is the radio included with the basic Neptune kit? I cannot tell for sure based on the product descriptions I have read.

Thanks - Greg
Greg_Vincent is offline Find More Posts by Greg_Vincent
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Greg, the Neptune comes supplied with a speed controller only, now i had to change mine because i was experiencing really bad interference, i have changed it and installed a marine viper, it as stopped the interference problem 99% but i still get servo rattle? Oceans do you know which way the two plugs for the pressure sensor and the leakage detection plug in?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Ok i have built and tested for leaks the WTC and found no leaks, the Neptune is an excellent piece of engineering, i have a few teething problems with the electrics.....

The two servos situated at the back are getting interference when the motor is at three quarter to full speed?

The pump sometimes "blows" without me operating it?

Oceans, i attach a picture of the circuit board to which the two plugs attach.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:15 PM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the right way to connect the plugs. I should open the Neptune and check.

Even if I'm not 100% sure, I suppose they are simple on-off switches, operated by pressure (the former) or by water conductivity (the latter).
Therefore, they don't have a preferred direction, I think.

However, you may try to disconnect these two plugs and switch on: the pump will start emptying the bag, of course, but all the other functions must be fully operational: you should be allowed to control the rudders and the throttle without any problem (no rattling).

If this doesn't happen, the bug is somewhere else.
(I'll start checking the correct power supply. By the way, does your ESC accept 12 volts? Does its BEC circuit work properly at this voltage or you need independent 5V power source for the receiver? Be sure not to send higher voltage to the RX!)

I hope it can help.
Ocean's
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:29 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
The kit I saw came with servos, ESC and ballast control switcher. You just need to supply a radio TX and RX, which should cost about 30-35 for a basic 4-channel set. I'd recommend a 6 channel set if you can stretch to it however, this will allow you to add extra functions later if you wish.

Andy
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:33 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean's One
Sorry, I don't know the right way to connect the plugs. I should open the Neptune and check.

Even if I'm not 100% sure, I suppose they are simple on-off switches, operated by pressure (the former) or by water conductivity (the latter).
Therefore, they don't have a preferred direction, I think.

However, you may try to disconnect these two plugs and switch on: the pump will start emptying the bag, of course, but all the other functions must be fully operational: you should be allowed to control the rudders and the throttle without any problem (no rattling).

If this doesn't happen, the bug is somewhere else.
(I'll start checking the correct power supply. By the way, does your ESC accept 12 volts? Does its BEC circuit work properly at this voltage or you need independent 5V power source for the receiver? Be sure not to send higher voltage to the RX!)

I hope it can help.
Ocean's
Thanks for that Ocean, yes the speed controller works on 12 volt and its bec is 5 v, i will try what you have said now.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:53 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
Chasing interference can be a pain. I take it the motor is well suppressed?

Andy
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Hi Andy,

Yes the motor is suppressed but it is positioned in btween the two servos, i will take a picture to show you, i am wondering if it is this, the interference only starts when the motor is running towards full speed?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:04 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
This is where the motor is positioned.